rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wake up call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake up call
    Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 22:00
Well I ventured out today purely to try different camera settings and see what the front mount was like vibrations wise,and I had white van man do the classic in front of me Shocked

Had a bit to spare but it still took me by surprise.

I just started playing with a new editing program so is just a few seconds of the actual event

It was a national limit road (60) and I was closing quite quickly on this van that indicated left and pulled into basically a layby or bus stop?  at the corner ahead

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Af1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 22:05

You got lucky !

The white van man said "I ddint sEE you !" Then "you was speeding"

There's danger everywhere with twatty car and van drivers...
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 22:11
Originally posted by Af1 Af1 wrote:

You got lucky !

The white van man said "I ddint sEE you !" Then "you was speeding"

There's danger everywhere with twatty car and van drivers...

I know,  I should have started that clip a few seconds earlier really as the indication,pull in and swing across the road was one fluid movement Ouch
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 22:41
Jeez what a knob. I thought we had them all here in mid Wales. Looks like one escaped
born ugly what's your excuse!!
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 22:46
Never looks that close but alot can be the fish eye lenses on the gopro type cameras now

Bloody scary either way
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 23:16
The odd thing was as it was happening right in front of me time seemed to slow down,I knew I would clear it but I just kind of watched it playing out in front of me in slo mo Confused

I did give him the time honoured salute though LOL
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 13:15
He probably never noticed your salute ian bud. On subject of bad driving, I took mum out in car last week only to Newtown and we were following a car for 11 miles at 45 mph. Couldn't pass, he was loaded fully in back so he couldn't see out of rear window even in a 30 he was doing 45...forty bloody five mph for 11 miles. Oh and indicators were optional extras on his car obviously. ..
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 13:26
Sounds about right Disapprove
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Sparky46 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 13:53
Close call that Ian. If you're using you're canera regular I'm sure in no time you'll be able to put a compilation of near misses together. Did you try out that polarised lense from Amazon?
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 14:08
Another blummin smidsy. We should have our bikes equipped with bazooka's to deal with such incidents. Make the roads safe again.

The picture quality's good on your camera Ian. I've got one, but never used it yet. Maybe I should try it next time I'm out.

Aled, we have loads of those drivers here in the Fens. They drive everywhere at a steady 40 though. No more, no less. A roads, B roads, through villages etc. Couldn't believe it when we moved here. There's loads of them.

You can see the fed up truckers right up their jacksies pushing them along and a serpent like trail of disgruntled cars and even tractors behind. And as soon as they turn off, then another replaces them. Honestly you couldn't make it up.

I don't tend to let it bother me these days so much, having subscribed to the theory that everyone is fighting their own battle in life, that we know nothing about. The dear old biddy causing the hold up may have just lost her husband to cancer. Or returning from the hospital, having just received confirmation of her own. That sort of thing. Worked wonders on any rage feelings I ever had. I leave in plenty of time for appointments etc, so no stress. Perhaps it's my age?  Obviously, on the bike one goes (safely) past....

The answer to all this of course (as you all know) is the old defensive riding. Every vehicle is out to get you. Awareness, road positioning, distance, speed and a plan B of where your going to go when it goes tits up are essential.

If Ian's white van man had turned just a few seconds earlier.... Stay safe peeps
Question everything.
Careca View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 17:28
Im so glad you are ok. 

That made my heart skip and took me back 2 years ago ish ............I lost a dear friend to exactly that, but on a B road down in Cornwall on good friday 2 years ago . A smart car did a u turn in front of him,  but not on a fairly wide clear road like the one on your clip but a B road , and  just round a bend. Guy  came round the bend and the smart car pulled out in front of him . He never stood a chance. Couldn't go wide as there was oncoming traffic on the other side of the road.  Killed him instantly. Lucky there were witnesses . It was such a stupid place to do a U turn ,  that the Smart car driver had no chance of seeing anything coming either. 
Then of course there is the waiting whilst they investigate  , the police interviews , all the crap that goes with it and then you have to sit in court and re-live it all . Left a wife and 2 young kids. 

White vans, my mate and I call them  VDC's ( Van Driving ***** ) as opposed to the militant get out the way I'm on the tour de france cyclists who are known as TWC's ( Two Wheeled *****).
There is a reason I stopped riding into London on my bike. Its mostly white vans who just dont give a f**k .

Ride safely and keep em peeled.

Stevex View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 17:58
Driver awareness, conduct, discipline and courtesy have gone out the window in recent years, mostly ,I think, due to a lack of police patrol cars on the road. Some of the recent trash driving I've seen include blatant use of mobile phones, a van with a towed load in the outside lane of a motorway, cars droning on in the motorway middle lane with nothing in the inside lane, and a real favourite of mine, cars doing anything from 35-45 down B roads with a 60mph limit. 
Also, tractors on B roads with a queue of cars behind not pulling in and dumping mud on the roads just left for the next unfortunate bike to come across.
Most police forces have cut back the number of patrol cars on the roads and yet camera vans are on the increase...crazy.

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 20:17
Rick mate I know what you're saying mate. It didn't make me mad just put stereo on and had laugh with mum. I don't take risks in car or bike and if I'm stuck behind something then so be it. Obviously on bike we can make progress easier. I just chilling out these days lol or try to.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 20:32
Originally posted by cwp cwp wrote:

Rick mate I know what you're saying mate. It didn't make me mad just put stereo on and had laugh with mum. I don't take risks in car or bike and if I'm stuck behind something then so be it. Obviously on bike we can make progress easier. I just chilling out these days lol or try to.

Gosh buddy I know you do. Sorry, just that one paragraph was meant to show solidarity with you. The rest of my ramblings were not intended "at you"    
Question everything.
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 22:06
What a Pr**kk

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 08:01
Originally posted by Sparky46 Sparky46 wrote:

Close call that Ian. If you're using you're canera regular I'm sure in no time you'll be able to put a compilation of near misses together. Did you try out that polarised lense from Amazon?

Not got it yet, I use a  *hinese camera so a filter is on it's way from the orient as I write.

This was the first time I've tried the cam on the Tuono so I was really just experimenting with it and trying out the mount the p/o had stuck on the screen.
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 08:15
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

The picture quality's good on your camera Ian. I've got one, but never used it yet. Maybe I should try it next time I'm out.

If Ian's white van man had turned just a few seconds earlier.... Stay safe peeps

Really? I was hoping for far better Confused  I had massive jello/vibration issues and didn't do a very good job post production I thought.

I now have software to correct that sort of thing but now need to learn to use it.  I'm running the full clip through a stabilising program atm so I'll put the results up when it's done.

Had the van turned earlier it would have amusing, a few seconds later could have been very unpleasant though Ouch

www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 09:18

Gosh buddy I know you do. Sorry, just that one paragraph was meant to show solidarity with you. The rest of my ramblings were not intended "at you"    

Hey Rick mate no way did I think anything was aimed at me bud. Didn't even think about it. Was agreeing with ya lol. My days of rushing in a car are over lol. However on bike now and again. ... . Mum laughs at some of my comments when driving especially when I tell her if he was driving any slower he'd get a parking ticket.....definitely thinking about a camera tho. Just to record some of my jaunts if and when I get chance to get out on long run
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:37

I took mum out in car last week only to Newtown

I hope you used the road from Crossgates to Newtown?
Epic stretch of road that LOL
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 14:12
Originally posted by Fugly Fugly wrote:

I took mum out in car last week only to Newtown

I hope you used the road from Crossgates to Newtown?
Epic stretch of road that LOL

If only bud lol. No I live in Machynlleth so it's through Llanbrynmair, Carno, caersws, and Newtown. The Newtown / Crossgates road is epic tho.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Really? I was hoping for far better Confused  I had massive jello/vibration issues and didn't do a very good job post production I thought.

I now have software to correct that sort of thing but now need to learn to use it.  I'm running the full clip through a stabilising program atm so I'll put the results up when it's done.

Had the van turned earlier it would have amusing, a few seconds later could have been very unpleasant though Ouch

Oops yes later - I wasn't very agile mentally yesterday. I had to have my old faithful dog put to sleep. That's 2 in 6 months Cry

I never noticed the vibration, I just thought the picture seemed nice and clear Embarrassed

Question everything.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 15:50
Dunno why that post is all black? Hey ho Confused
Question everything.
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 09:49
What camera have you got Ian? I went to my local currys yesterday as I can get finance there to look at some. They had 2 in and not very helpful at all ffs so might try Shrewsbury. They can order in but I'm lost as to what to look for and where to mount on my tuono. Sorry for going off on tangent from your original post just that picture quality was good and I'd like to record some of my rides. Thank you
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 12:18
I have one of these  Yi2 4k cams  http://www.yitechnology.com/yi-4k-action-camera     although they've just superseded it with the 4k+ which has upped the game to compete with the GoPro Hero5 black.

Think I payed about £200 something when I bought mine last year and side by side with GP it's as good if not better in most areas,not least costing just over half the price. Also all GP mounting options apply.

I have a GoPro sticky shoe mounted on the Tuono's fly screen left there from the previous owner so I just used that and mounted using the waterproof case.

All my previous vids were taken with a pair of Mobius without any post video correction and those were stunning little units for next to bugger all   http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

Think I paid about £55 each for them but then budget for a big memory card,which on the upside is class4 recommended not the modern 6-10's which are used more now.

On the Mille I ran that pair from a power pack under the rear seat and had all day on bike video capacity. Well at least till I filled a 64Gb card ,which I never managed on an average track day.

GoPro mountings also used with these

I used to post with a copy of CyberLink Power Director to get the Pic in Pic shots like this   

but I now have Mercalli 4   and Adobe Premier Pro to get to grips with is taking me for ever as these are pretty much professional tools so I'm just jumping in at the deep end and pressing buttons to see what comes out

www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 15:00
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/camcorders/digital-camcorders/gopro-hero5-session-4k-ultra-hd-action-camcorder-black-10152507-pdt.html

is that any good you reckon? Thanks for taking time out to reply. Not sure what to get or if to get. Will have a think as I can get finance in currys although I dislike place I can buy now pay over a year so limited choice I guess.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 16:53
They get very good reviews so I'm sure you'd be very satisfied with one of them,help with finance ad well,what's not to like?
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 18:55
Tempted by the gopro hero5 thingy but I know nowt about these things but if I'm gonna get may as well pay for good one. Sounds daft but mum wants to see where I go lol. Thank you for your help my friend. What's best, 30fps or 60fps? Told you I'm a numpty with modern technology lol
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 19:34
Horses for courses I think,all these cams allow for a range of settings, I'm still finding out what's best.  I went through the firmware updates with mine a few days back,there were around 5 revisions iIrc,the things it does now are much more comprehensive than when I bought it.

It's the same as my phone,also #%&nese,you get firmware updates a lot quicker than most big brand names
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 09:00
Just came across this which would seem to answer many questions

Slightly out of date now though as Y1 have updated the 4k into the 4k+ which has greatly improved capabilities and it's still a fair bit cheaper than the GP5 black

Seems the Session is very capable though in just about all areas and being waterproof is a big bonus, so if you can get one on favorable terms it looks like the one to get Thumbs Up

www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 22:53
Yes, a friend just said same thing 10 minutes ago. Thank you for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic