Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To sell or to run into the ground

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To sell or to run into the ground
    Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 12:57
So we are relocating offices (moving 12 miles north of where we are now), This turn's my 50 mile a day commute into a 74 mile a day commute.

Frankie already has 43000 on the clock and in present condition and age is probably only worth £1000, so do I sell for a grand and put that into a car (sell my existing car and combine the money) or just run him into the ground ?

Its that old issue of no finances to replace him (and I am not sure I want to) and I need a car for family transport.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 13:21
Bloody hell Kiwi, I hope he cant read. He'll never f**kin startLOL

WARNZ View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 13:30
No bike no question! DOT SELL
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 13:51
Putting my sensible head on i would say it depends on how you feel about that distance all year round on a bike. Having had bikes as my only transport in the past i know how tough it can be over winter months.

But you have to factor in how good a car you get for 1k plus the higher road tax it attracts unless a super mini. Plus and i think almost most importantly, what not having it does to you.

In all honesty, currently i can't really justify my Ducati but selling it would destroy me so it stays. I truly get the family commitment stuff as i have one too but at some point there has to be a little corner of your life just for you and my bike and i suspect Frankie is that.

If the answer to my first comment is that you can cope with the mileage physically, keep it.

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 15:09
does the car really need replacing???.. you've been through so much with Frankie it will be like having a limb cut off.

you nearly sold him before then went down the replacement engine route...think the bike is part of your life / soul ha ha ha ha  you were obviuosly bad in a previosu life.

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 16:54
For me when i was commuting to work on my bike it was the time that was the biggest factor the run i was doing on the bike took around 25 to 30 mins but if i used my motor it was anything from 45 to 2hrs+ it would of made me open a vein and even when it was cold and pissing down i was still able to have some fun carving the traffic looking at everyone bored out of their minds.
Cuzza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuzza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 18:33
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

you nearly sold him before then went down the replacement engine route...think the bike is part of your life / soul ha ha ha ha  you were obviuosly bad in a previosu life.

The engine you put into him has done way less than 43000 miles, unless you've been racking them up loads in the last couple of years.
Like Phil Jupitus........only slimmer!!!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 18:36
Difficult one that Scott,I've had to commute on a bike when I had car trouble and I didn't enjoy it much at all when the weather was crap.

However as already said,if you got a grand for Frankie and traded up your car what would that amount to?  There's a lot of bodged up crap out there that needs money spending on it ( I know this 'cos I usually end up buying it and regretting it later)

I hope Frankie isn't telepathic or you are in for so much sh*t next time you try and start him.LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
martuk View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 18:54
Depends if you can find a great car for a grand plus .
█╬╬╬╬(•)i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
stevezx7r View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx7r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 19:23
You'll already know the answer yourself.
But, if you want convincing otherwise, don't sell the bike ;)
I went six years without and hated every minute - it was a living hell.
Don't sell.

Or at the very most, sell it and get something else....
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 21:29
The age old dilemma! Keep bike & alternate between car & bike that way the milage will be shared between them & you will have a stand-by if one gives up on you.
A303 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 23:37
DO YOU EVEN HAVE TO ASK!!??
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 13:25
NO DON'T SELL FRANKIE. . . . . .

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Supertedlover View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supertedlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 14:08
No brainer, your on the wrong forum to ask opinions on things like this. 
moved from the dark side
adzed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The Bad man!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 14:29
Whoever you sell Frankie to would be hunting you down within a few months to make you buy him back mate! So it really isn't worth the hassle. Thumbs Up
mad73 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 17:14
wot bike is frankie?
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 17:36
Originally posted by mad73 mad73 wrote:

wot bike is frankie?

A Legendary one Lmao LOL

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 18:51
There's only one FRANKIE

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
A303 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 19:52
Originally posted by mad73 mad73 wrote:

wot bike is frankie?

Have you ever seen the movie Christine?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 19:56
Originally posted by A303 A303 wrote:

Have you ever seen the movie Christine?

Is that the car than controls people and turns them evil ?
stevezx7r View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx7r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 20:15
Doesn't control people as such, just, er, kills them....all.
ForzaApriliaRacing View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The eprom guy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForzaApriliaRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 20:22
FRANKIE SAYS................. Keep me
Forza Aprilia Racing
www.forzaapriliaracing.co.uk
ForzaApriliaRacing View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The eprom guy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForzaApriliaRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 20:23
These bikes aint worth much ££££

Keep it

Even if I had the dollar I would just keep the RSVR
Forza Aprilia Racing
www.forzaapriliaracing.co.uk
A303 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 15:55
Originally posted by stevezx7r stevezx7r wrote:

Doesn't control people as such, just, er, kills them....all.

Yeah but she does have a cuddly side.
Flipspeed View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flipspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:22
Sold my RD350lc for £500 twentyeight yrs ago, BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life
singles swing
A303 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:31
Originally posted by Flipspeed Flipspeed wrote:

Sold my RD350lc for £500 twentyeight yrs ago, BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life

Yeah, when I think of all the 'classic' bikes I sold cheap, scrapped or gave away.
But you know what the bloke said: Regret is like paying interest on a bill you've already paid!
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:40
Well thanks to the responses and the folks on here I have decided to keep Frankie and have done enough overtime in the past two months to pay for the next 12 months running costs.
He now has his own bank account !!.

So a very heartfelt "Thankyou" to all those that have posted on here and made my decision that much easier...now about the fcuking weather ?

Oh and in gratitude Frankie fired first press of the starter today (first start in 4 weeks), a few back fires and some coughing and spitting through the T.B's and he settled down to a nice even idle for about 20 minutes or so (just enough to heat the oil and the fans kick in twice). Then it was back under the duvet cover again.

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Italianmike View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Italianmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 13:11
Ed, I'm relatively new to the forum, so can you tell me why you call him Frankie?
Is it anything to do with going to Hollywood or relaxing or am I just incapable of thinkin it out for myself
"Cum on feel the noyz"
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 14:05
I'm Scott (kiwi_rsvr) and owner of Frankie (2000 RSV)

Frankie is short for Frankenstein, he got the name owing to the "international" flavour of the parts used to repair him during his period of naughtiness where if it could break it did break.

Although I think that a few on here might have another name for him !!, This is the sort of thing he would do.

Going on a ride out to Brighton with a few mostly departed members from here :-( , pulled into a petrol station and filled to the brim then parked up with some of the others when he (Frankie) proceeded to dump the best part of 18 litres of fuel over the forecourt and left folks scrabbling around trying to move their bikes from sitting in puddles of petrol !!. Yup bot the internal vent and over flow pipes had split for a 2nd time !!

Frankie Rool's ko
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic