rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting new regulator??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting new regulator??
    Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 14:17
Guys, I'm after some advice here......

I have started the fitting of the new r&r and have the furukawa connections all crimped and soldered and ready to fit to the bike, but.....

I am after some advice on the existing wiring connections...

Basically, I have the two connectors fitted to the r&r. One has 3 wires and the other 2. The 3 wires connect to the stator/alternator so basically, do I just connect these to the existing yellow wires? If so, do I also keep the thinner wires which are incorporated exactly where they are.....see pic below

Which brings me to the connector with the 2 wires leading to the r&r........the oe connection has 5 wires (2 blue, 2 red/white and 1 green/black) leading into the connection ( I assume a live neutral and earth, so again, do I join the 2 live and neutral wires together and connect these to the new r&r? Also, what about the single (I think earth) wire???

Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
andirsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 15:50
Right guys, I've tidied up the wires now and want to ask....

On this picture, there is the 3 yellow wires and a L,N and E wire (what looks like standard 3 core flex cable). These were attached to each of the yellow wires when connected to the oe r&r. So does it matter which one is connected to which???

Next is the power side of the connectors.....as you can (just about) make out, there are 2 x red/white wires, 2 x blue wires and 1 x green/black wire.......am I right in thinking I simply twist the red/white wires together and solder, then connect to one of the r&r wires? Same for the blue wires?? Lastly, what can/do I do with the green/ black wire???

Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 17:08
Andi me Firestopper.

The 3 yellow wires need to connect to the 3 red wires on the reg/rec.

You are going to need to put a meter on the other 3 wires (that do look suspiciously like mains flex) to see which is positive and which is negative.

and you silly billy you have used the same colour for the reg/rec output so you wont know which is positive and which is negative !!

however it should be marked on the reg/rec itself.

andirsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 17:20
Originally posted by kiwi_rsvr kiwi_rsvr wrote:

Andi me Firestopper.

The 3 yellow wires need to connect to the 3 red wires on the reg/rec.

You are going to need to put a meter on the other 3 wires (that do look suspiciously like mains flex) to see which is positive and which is negative.

and you silly billy you have used the same colour for the reg/rec output so you wont know which is positive and which is negative !!

however it should be marked on the reg/rec itself.

Cheers Scott!! Ok, I'll work out which the pins are shortly but I've been looking online at other folks threads (af1 forum) and I cannot see any others which have the "mains flex" wiring..........what are these for and why on other threads are these not mentioned/shown????
Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 18:11
I think you are going to need to expose more of that loom to find out. Im wondering if some clown has committed the mother of all bodges and spliced into things a bit further along that cable run ?.
A quick check would be to start it up and check each one for ac volts.
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 18:32
Does look like a bit of kettle fles especially as its not tinned like the yellow ones. Like he said. open up the loom a bit & suss out whats going on with it.
andirsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 18:34
Ok guys, I've stripped it back a wee bit but it appears to be connected to the main loom, within the sheath

Without removing everything, I simply don't know where it goes!!!! WTF????
Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
andirsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 18:38
Could it be that they were simply fitted to run parrallel with the 3 x yellow wires, sharing the load, therefor can simply be joined with the existing 3 x yellow wires again, as they were previously??? Ultimately, the colours of the flex cable wires are not important as they are simply carrying the ac volts to the reg???
Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 20:03
I would be highly dubious of that , Ive never seen a bike with that kind of wiring , if the outer sheath is white then I am 98% sure its ordinary domestic wiring. 
I wonder if there's something similar at the alternator end ?, as in was there a problem at some point and this is a dodgy repair ?

Also Andi you are going to need to earth the reg/rec casing.

andirsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andirsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 21:14
Originally posted by kiwi_rsvr kiwi_rsvr wrote:

I would be highly dubious of that , Ive never seen a bike with that kind of wiring , if the outer sheath is white then I am 98% sure its ordinary domestic wiring. 
I wonder if there's something similar at the alternator end ?, as in was there a problem at some point and this is a dodgy repair ?

Also Andi you are going to need to earth the reg/rec casing.

Cheers Scott........

Ok mate, I'll need to strip the whole thing down then I just don't understand why it's there as it was all connected to the original r&r????

Also Scott, how am I best earthing the new r&r??

Bollocks!!
Go big or go home! ! !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic