rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another fried Stator and reg/rec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvr1000mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another fried Stator and reg/rec
    Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 15:57
Its a bit of a cheek but im going to ask anyway

Ive never posted much on here before but here I am asking for information

2005 mille base model ,no mods, all standard owned from new 24,000 happy miles

Short version of events
bike breaks down in spain
spanish AA guy (bloke in a battered van with no tools and a dog) rams big volts through elecrics even though ive begged him not to, as i already know battery isnt being charged as ive looked at the onboard dash V and 10.9- 11.2 so stator / rec /wiring isnt doing the job.

tests show ecu looks like its knackered ok used one off ebay

but more importantly I now need to find a suitable replacement that will sort the charging system

Ive read many threads and it looks like

this is the reg rec and wiring to go for. Any updates would be really nice

But im unsure as to stator replacement

your advice on options would be helpful.

Ive loved every minuet of time spent with my bike and i really want to fix this known issue I honestly thought id bought the one revr bike that didnt have this issue as ive ridden her all over through all sorts of conditions and kept the contacts clean of corrosion but she decided to join the fried club whilst i was on holiday.

joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 19:45
The best and cheapest option is electrex world for the stator around £90 (THICKER WIRE NOW )they don't make a after market reg for the 2 gen the reason is does not have a earth make sure the brown connectors are clean in the first place apply electrical grease, slight corrosion will eventually cook the stator rub with apiece of emery paper.

If your jumping a battery with higher watts best to put earth on frame or somewhere or the ecu will fry 
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Discount Ducati breakdown cover call joe 0800 998 999
rsvr1000mike View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvr1000mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 08:30
 Thanks joe im guessing this must be the one , ive mailed them as it doesnt show it as an rsvr item but im guessing perhaps it can be used on both

tapmyhed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapmyhed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 11:21
I wouldn't use them....had one of there's and it lasted 1500 miles.  I just bought the aprilia one in the end and that's been good now for about 6K miles.

I have also changed the RR for the yam R1 mosfet....exactly as per that link you posted on the triumph website.  Its not caused any issues, but the problem of burning out stators is very common.  I have burnt out 2 now.  I also sorted out the brown connectors...ie, all chopped out, I also rewired the supply/charge and seperated each feed into its own fuse/cable so I run with 4 fuses at the battery, not 2.

There is apparently a mod for the flywheel (or a replacement part that has less magnetism)  I think someone posted on here.....not sure its worth the effort unless you have to replace a burnt out stator........I'm on 47K miles now......works well still.

I was also curious to the fail conditions of stators....do they run hotter at the top? Is the oil cooling adaquate on the top of the generator cover?  I did find about 30DegC difference between the top and the bottom...the top being hotter.  Not sure if thats of any benefit?  Perhaps the stator would benefit from an oil feed at the top as both my stators that burnt out had fried at the top, not the bottom.  Not sure how that could be done as the stator sits inside the flywheel????

Food for thought.
Factory 04
Big Bore Whore
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvr1000mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 14:06
I'd be interested in anyone elses experience of fried stator, and the causes of it

mine appears to be reg rec has overheated and failed then the stator follow suit

if that is the case is it the usual/only way it happens ?

mike
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 15:26
Having had to replace both on my Gen 1 I got really confused as different people in the know told me different things.

The Regulator is the weakest link in the chain after the connectors as it shunts all unwanted (excess) power to ground (earth) , this is partly what causes it to get hot , the other part is the process of converting AC volts to DC Volts. Honda are well known for frying regulators in this respect.

You can alleviate the issues somewhat by fitting a MOSFET (latest R1, ZX10 etc) type regulator, they are still a shunt type device but much more effcient.

You could fit a solid state unit but the expense probably isn't worth it given the performance of the MOSFET type.
joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 20:53
1. I would not buy a genuine stator , because its the reason it fried in the first place.

2. electrex world up rated the stator after I complained free of charge never fried  again.

3. You must keep all connectors to stator / reg extra clean any slight corrosion have to  look hard will fry the stator shove loads of electrical grease in all connectors to these components.corrosion will short the circuit

4. why did not bother with a fuse or fuses between these components to break the fall of frying the stator I guess it would have to be a higher amps.
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Discount Ducati breakdown cover call joe 0800 998 999
tapmyhed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapmyhed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 21:46
Originally posted by rsvr1000mike rsvr1000mike wrote:

I'd be interested in anyone elses experience of fried stator, and the causes of it

mine appears to be reg rec has overheated and failed then the stator follow suit

if that is the case is it the usual/only way it happens ?

mike

The reg/rec getting hot is how it dumps the excess generated current....through to earth.  This is why it is called a shunt type rectifier....the generator generates 500W of power 24/7 whilst engine is running, you might only use 100W for lights electrics etc, so 400W is left to be shunted away into heat.

The problem isn't the stator or the reg/rec, though changing the reg/rec to a series type should help by regulating the stator hence reducing the effective generated power.  The problem is the flywheel.  the magnets are way too powerful for the stator.  the other problem, which is my theory, is that the top of the stator does not get adaquate oil flow to keep it cool (ok less warm).  This causes the insulation to burn away, then shorting out the phases.  Stators always seem to be burnt at the tops when they go.

Apparently, Aprilia have a updated flywheel and stator kit, and sold these fairly cheaply in some european country....just not here.....there are posts about this if you look around.

To help my bike, I changed my shunt to a series reg/rec.  Electrix burnt out beofre this change...the aprilia stator is still ok.  You will also want to cut out all the brown connectors, if you have the mid connector that goes between the V, you need to splice this out.  The other connector at the reg/rec, you should change too.  Any resistance in the stator wiring will convert to heat and melt cables/connectors, though do expect the yellow cables to get warm....just not bloody hot!
Factory 04
Big Bore Whore
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsvr1000mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 19:12
Im sure you guys have probably read many many threads about the aprilia reg recs stator issues. flywheel is a new one on me so more reading required but you reason the point well 
(as well as your own experiences) 
Ive trawled and trawled sites from all over but it really does seem that its about many factors that determin how long before things fail, all of which i will ensure i do before getting back on the tarmac

many bikes have all sorts of issues so its far from an italian thing , its shaken my love for my bike and i even looked at a german thingy but i love riding my bike to much

thanks for you input and i will update my personal experience

mike

BB1000 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 20:42
with you on that one mike
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 20:55
Just for the record, Honda fireblades of the same era used the same stator and flywheel magnets and they burnt out too so it's not an Aprilia thing. The parts are Nippon Denso made. Honda offered a 4 year warranty on the stator as a result.
As i understand it many of the persistant blowers of stators turned out to be flywheels with abnormal magnet strength at certain points on the flywheel but the oil issue Tap mentioned is contributory.
Noel on Afi had his tested by a winding company in the US who wanted t make a good replacement and in air the stator burns out in something like 50 seconds with the stock flywheel so it gets very hot, very quickly.

I would suggest to those having ongoing issues with burning of stators that you source another flywheel in case yours has the same issue of random field levels pulsing the stator or maybe have the stator rewound with less windings. Fewer windings passing through the field, the lower the output and so less heat.

Edited by Spoonz - 01 Jul 2012 at 20:56
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic