rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

unexplained

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unexplained
    Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 22:37
Hi all,
Tonight on my way home, vmax 151, I went over 2 bumps in the road which is undulations not pot holes, but they do throw u out the seat a bit, although the forks don't bottom out.(cable ties). After going around a long left hander immediately after the straight with the bumps I got about 200 yds and my front tyre was completely flat. So after being recovered by mates, I can't find any nail etc in the tyre. The valve hasnt come off or leaks, the rim isn't cracked, and the beads are still seated. Tyre has pumped back up and an hour later is still up. ANY IDEAS?
RSVR - Not just a bike, it has a soul
Ian75 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 12:43
Big smile My tyre is still up.....? Weird.... would the tyre be ok to use after running flat for 200yds or so and being squashed by the bikes weight on the trailer etc......Dead

Ta very much.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 12:54
Can only think it was a bead seating issue.

It would certainly make me a little wary of it after but if it's a real new tyre it's tempting to ride on (Carefully) for a while and see aht develops. wirht checking the pressure regularly as it may be deflating slowly unit the point it can deform enough to unseat on a big compression.
edelliott View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
Chippy maker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 14:06

Could be the bead but to be honest I hve never heard of that or had it happen after 1000's of wheelies?

I would as Sponnz suggested be quite wary of this tyre for a while

was it just fitted or has it been on the bike for ages

I would also have the tyre shop replace the valve it may be faulty?

Can only be seating or a valve if no hole existsThumbs Up

Forza Aprilia Racing
Http://www.forzaaprilaracing.co.uk

Ian75 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 21:59
tyre has been on for 4 months or so,  i am thinking centrafugal force on the valve  inner, which may have become weak as the valve has been on for 2 years, maybe it should have been replaced with each tyre fitting. it is a metal tyre valve. and the tyre has covered  about 1500 -2000 miles, but the valve has covered 11000 miles.
Embarrassed

Ian75 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 00:26

HI ALL, I found this on the InterWeb...

What’s causing my mystery puncture?

By MCN -

Tyres

29 September 2010 14:43

Q. I was riding on the M54 tonight and the front tyre on my 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R went flat really quickly, I struggled over to the hard shoulder and got recovered back home.

I expected to find something sharp hanging out of the tyre but nothing. So I got the foot pump out and re-inflated the tyre and it doesn’t seem to have a puncture.

I’ve pumped it up to 50psi with still no leaks from the tyre or valve, I haven’t got a clue what’s caused this very worrying problem and any advice would be greatly appreciated
Bicster, MCN technical forum

A. Although the valve seems to be holding now, it can be a different matter when your wheels are spinning round hundreds of times a minute at high speeds and it’s having to cope with the centripetal force.

Tyre valve springs can weaken with age, old valve rubber can perish and, like tyres, they can also be affected by solvents/polishes.

Valves are almost universally replaced when you have new car tyres fitted, but it still doesn't appear to be the case with motorcycle tyre replacement.

You should also use valve caps. When Bridgestone carried out a test at Cadwell Park, going for it on a bike without valve caps, the tyres had started to deflate in two laps.

The best are steel caps with rubber O-rings (aluminium caps can corrode to the steel valve stem and are then a real pain to get off). At a push you can use plastic caps with O-rings.

But under no circumstances should valve caps without O-rings be fitted, they're your last line of defence against leaking air. Stick to plain steel ones and not ‘customised’ ones, those flashing lights and dice are irresistible to thieving kids.

fusebox View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
Aprilia performance boss bloke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 01:27
Ian
I have come across this a few times and 9 tomes outta ten it's the valve, caught me on a factory on road test two weeks ago

First port of call buddy i reckon!

G

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
www.apriliaspareparts.co.uk
Ian75 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 14:31
Thanks all for ur comments. Griff I can see a big pack of jammie dodgers with ur name on ;-)
Andyhar View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 14:31
Hi

I have had a similar thing like this happen to me. I was on my RSV coming down the m18 as I pulled off the slip road onto the round about the bike wouldnt turn So I managed to get it into a lay by and the front tire was flat. I had a co2 kit under the seat so I put some preasure into it and it seemed fine. Since then I have checked the preasure before every ride and I have had no problems. All I can think is that i have a low preasure when i set off and centrafugal force cause the seal to split. 1 Thing I would say is those co2 puncture repair kits are a life saver. Not particularly expensive and fit in a small pouch stuck under my seat. Saves waiting for recovery.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic