rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil leak
    Posted: 17 Apr 2006 at 20:36
Just had my two year service and after taking her out for a run noticed oil under the bike. Taking of the fairing the left hand side acoustic insulation is soaked in oil. Cleaned everything up and an hour or so later went out to check and found a drop of oil on the floor but can not see where it is coming from, maybe by the upper oil sump bracket ...... any ideas?
badger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
orange juice and lemonade pls!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 19:28
if its an 04 onwards then the oil tank is most likely as a good few had problems and were replaced under warranty, the top bracket of the oil tank is where it starts to leak, as you look at the tank from the side of the bike the bracket is on the left at the back of the tank
Bob View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 20:19
Thanks for that, mine is actually a late 03 (53 plate) one of the first into the country, but you are spot on, the leak is exactly where you said it would be!!!! Now I have to e-mail a picture over to the dealer, to send on to Aprilia, and try to get it replaced under warranty even though the bike is more than 2 years old!!
topcat View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 11:48
can you let me know how you get on as have the same issue on mine, & its the same age late 03, 53 plate Factory
badger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 13:36
Me to, mine is a late 03 Factory and started leaking, i repaired it myself but am intersted to see how you get on as i could do with mine replaced as well, let me know how it goes Bob
tt dave View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 16:41
my 02 did the same which caused me to crash,aprilia were not interested,they could not give a toss.it seems it happens quite alot,funny how you only find out these things when it is too late,at the time it started leaking,which was after a service,i rang the dealer up who said it had just been over filled and a bit and was coming from the air box when i crashed it was just out of warrenty,i told them that it was a serious saftey issue,did not make any difference v twins the way to go
Bob View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 21:31
Will keep you all informed of my progress ......... interesting to note I am not the only one and my usual partner in crime's 03 (53 plate) factory had the same problem about a year ago, took nearly 4 months to resolve!!!!!
Bob View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2006 at 20:39
Well it's official, one week later, after phoning my dealer once or twice a day, I have now been told Aprilia (Italy) don't want to know[:(!] So now I have to wait for Aprilia UK to decide my fate!! Have they not heard of "fit for purpose" or the consumer act? For crying out loud is it too much to expect a simple piece of kit like this, cocooned away from the elements, to last more than a couple of years? This is not over by a long way yet!!![:(!]
badger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2006 at 21:47
Hmmmmmnnnnnnnn..........not good really, still keep us posted mate on your progress (or lack of it)[:(]
millehead View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 13:51
have had leak on my 2k mille since 9000 mile service, originally it appeared to be due to the gasket not being seated properly. The leak got worse, the bike went back to the dealership it came from. They messed about and got no where. Took it to another dealership who were very helpful, did the work in November last year and all seemed to be well. I have not riden the bike much over the winter months, but last night I took it out for about an hour. When I got back I noticed a small amount of oil had sprayed onto the rear hugger, not an awful lot but enough. After looking around taking some panels off. I discovered a small amount of clean oil on the right hand side of the frame, looking as if it had run down a black pipe/tube and had gathered at the base. I cannot see where it is coming from. I have booked it in with the garage again but they cannot fit it in until mid may and I am looking at riding to the BSB at Oulton at the weekend and am concerned that on a 250 plus mile trip each way that I do not want it to get any worse. Reading all of your oil leak posts has anyone had anything like this happen to them. I am not totally mechanically minded but understand the basics, I just do not want to be stuck on the side of the M6!!!! Thanks
badger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 20:25
check the airbox is not full of oil from an over filled oil tank, it could be where your oil is coming from, but obviously check the bike over if it is not.
mikeq View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 00:35
I've heard this leak from the oil tank can be down to over enthusiastic tightening of the bracket at the back of the oil tank during the service. I notice most of the problems have happened just after a service. So is this an issue with Aprilia or whoever does the work. The first I heard of this was about two years ago when a guy from Burntisland had his 04 serviced just before going on a tour of Ireland. The oil tank bracket failed. I always check mine after a service. Just a thought. Mike Q
Desert Fox View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 20:00
Try looking at the cam cover gaskets by lifting the fuel tank.They are removed to check the shims during servicing. The gaskets have a tendency to move when being replaced and getting pinched when being refitted. Simply remove the offending cover slightly and move the gasket into the correct position. Then tighten to the specific torque settings.
Bob View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2006 at 19:39
Good news, the bike has been in and a new oil tank has been fitted, FREE OF CHARGE, courtesy of my dealer On Yer Bike, thanks Sean, and despite Aprilia saying they weren't interested ............. just goes to show don't give up at the first refusal!!!
topcat View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 14:54
Bob, Thats good news, not sure what I can do with mine as the dealer who sold it doesn't exist anymore, + the bike has been raced a couple of times though never dropped. Waiting on my swing arm still! Dave
Iceman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 17:40
I had an oil leak from the front rocker cover I thought this would be covered by warranty as its an oil leak ? No says the dealer this is not covered by the warranty ? Can any body tell me if this should be covered or not Cheers Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic