Forum Home Forum Home > RSV4 > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

not long now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: not long now
    Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 16:28
before problems start to creep out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what will be the first problem?

just wanted to post the 1st on this me he he LOL
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Discount Ducati breakdown cover call joe 0800 998 999
amb67 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 15:10
Had heard whispers of engine oil pressure issues that was causing serious damage to the internals, not 100% that these stories are true though.

The full story said that it was an issue that affected a load of new bikes being delivered for a launch to the motorcycling press, bad timing or what! 

Blue ones are so much faster than black ones.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 17:06
There has been a redesign of the cam followers and seats due to poor pressure with hot oil.
All of the R  models should have the new design.

The crank issues that hit the launch of the R model appear to have not hit the model in general although Aprilia have issued a bulletin to all dealers to check for certain warning signs.

Edited by Spoonz - 19 Dec 2009 at 17:09
amb67 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 18:37
Ahhh!!! So the rumour I had heard was correct.

Nice to know that the source was good, I honestly thought I was being given some BS so that I'd buy a different bike from them.  Ermm

joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 19:51
For f.uck sake,can you believe that, why don't they test an test and test the bloody machines just like the japs and the Germans they road test for thousands of miles loads of bikes until 99.9% of faults are found before mass production into the world. 
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

amb67 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amb67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 20:02
I wouldn't worry about it too much Joe 90, all those other manufacturers you mention have more issues than you would imagine.  Embarrassed

The main thing here is that the manufacturer supports the customer by resolving the issues evident.  Approve

joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 20:07
aprilia backup that,s a laugh complain, your wake up with a horses head beside you, or a knock at your door one night and taking away in the back of a black limo.
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 23:35
Don't think problems are always avoidable no matter how much you test.
As Alan says it's how you deal with them that sets a good ownership experience from a bad one.

That's where the Italians usually fall down. Dealers are not always as willing as they might be and manufacturers likewise.

My Aprilia warranty experiences ranged from bloody awful (2004 finance issues) to pretty good.
It really does depend on how much your dealer is willing to push for you though. That bit is a lottery
joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 10:17
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Don't think problems are always avoidable no matter how much you test.
As Alan says it's how you deal with them that sets a good ownership experience from a bad one.

That's where the Italians usually fall down. Dealers are not always as willing as they might be and manufacturers likewise.

My Aprilia warranty experiences ranged from bloody awful (2004 finance issues) to pretty good.
It really does depend on how much your dealer is willing to push for you though. That bit is a lottery
truth is spoonzee they only get warranty labour rates which can be as low as £15 a hour
that's why they are reluctant to do warranty work.
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 13:00
There is a recall out as of now to replace complete engines in both R and Factory models with certain vin's

Cranks limited to pre production units only, err not Shocked
Spookshow View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spookshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 13:25
Blimey, that's gonna cost em!
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 14:21
Yep Af1 alone have all 13 of theirs in the recall
dangleebals View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangleebals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 16:46

There is a recall out as of now to replace complete engines in both R and Factory models with certain vin's

That is gonna be a very expensive excercise Ouch

Originally posted by joe 90 joe 90 wrote:

For f.uck sake,can you believe that, why don't they test an test and test the bloody machines just like the japs and the Germans they road test for thousands of miles loads of bikes until 99.9% of faults are found before mass production into the world. 

The Jap manufacturers shift a hell of a lot more units than the Italians do - developement budgets will be quite large comparebly.

And anyways this is their testing Smile it just so happens that thier test riders also happen to be thier customers LOL (Microsoft anyone Big smile )

Deacs Thumbs Up

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk    www.apriliaforum.co.uk     www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 18:33
Originally posted by dangleebals dangleebals wrote:

The Jap manufacturers shift a hell of a lot more units than the Italians do - developement budgets will be quite large comparebly.

And anyways this is their testing Smile it just so happens that thier test riders also happen to be thier customers LOL (Microsoft anyone Big smile )

Deacs Thumbs Up

shame it had to be a conrod issue though as that leaves little choice other than new motor.
Had it been a cam or something then it wouldn't have been such a deal.

Hope the supplier is getting a large chunk of the bill or a horse head in the bed. Liability etc etc.

joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 18:57

Originally posted by dangleebals dangleebals wrote:

Deacs Thumbs Up

shame it had to be a conrod issue though as that leaves little choice other than new motor.
Had it been a cam or something then it wouldn't have been such a deal.

Hope the supplier is getting a large chunk of the bill or a horse head in the bed. Liability etc etc.

oh dear !! warrantry labour for dealers £12 a hour instead of £60 oh dearShocked
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 22:43
The recall letter says they are paying 8 to 9 hours per machine to the dealers which i thought sounded reasonable as a time frame.

Not sure what the Piaggio hourly warranty rate is currently.
joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 17:59

The recall letter says they are paying 8 to 9 hours per machine to the dealers which i thought sounded reasonable as a time frame.

Not sure what the Piaggio hourly warranty rate is currently.
 what do they do with the old engines ?
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

BB1000 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 19:54

Jap bike have recalls as well......what about the GSXR frames that cracked...hmmmm NO recall...what about hayabusa sub frames collapsing....NO recall......so as you see its NOT just aprilia...zx10r had a recall as well

If you're that anti aprilia matey why dont you buy a boring Honda lol
joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 20:30
Originally posted by BB1000 BB1000 wrote:

Jap bike have recalls as well......what about the GSXR frames that cracked...hmmmm NO recall...what about hayabusa sub frames collapsing....NO recall......so as you see its NOT just aprilia...zx10r had a recall as well

If you're that anti aprilia matey why dont you buy a boring Honda lol
wish i had matey, all the issues i've had ,......and all the AA callouts , over the years..you just wait ....when your kicking the thing next time it goes wrong!!!!
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

mxpower918 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpower918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 21:43
well for the bike you get for your money i still think aprilia are way better..why say this? well ive basicly had almost everybike n still came back,last bike was ktm rc8 then ktm 990superduke etc.ya everybike has a bad apple in its group just gotta be realy careful were you get it from,but also know that no matter how careful you are you could still get a bad one.
for me i am a mechanic so i do look after my bike as its my life on the line and no cost could replace a loved one etc.
ive never had any problems with aprilia nor the service and parts,i know taz motorcycles ant the greatest by poll but they do look after aprilia and have good recored looking after them as they are main dealer.
i now have rsv4 which i know that i will keep for a long time as its perfect for and way to much power,ya its alot of money but i dont need to go out n buy loadz of stuff and its all part of the bike!
so if you want a good aprilia buy slighty higher than your buget and from a dealer,its just a peace of mined for just in case etc..you know then its been looked after and not ex-racer wit body work been put back on..(ya seen a few of them in disguised)

always look at life in a lighter way.!
joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 22:22
Originally posted by mxpower918 mxpower918 wrote:

well for the bike you get for your money i still think aprilia are way better..why say this? well ive basicly had almost everybike n still came back,last bike was ktm rc8 then ktm 990superduke etc.ya everybike has a bad apple in its group just gotta be realy careful were you get it from,but also know that no matter how careful you are you could still get a bad one.
for me i am a mechanic so i do look after my bike as its my life on the line and no cost could replace a loved one etc.
ive never had any problems with aprilia nor the service and parts,i know taz motorcycles ant the greatest by poll but they do look after aprilia and have good recored looking after them as they are main dealer.
i now have rsv4 which i know that i will keep for a long time as its perfect for and way to much power,ya its alot of money but i dont need to go out n buy loadz of stuff and its all part of the bike!
so if you want a good aprilia buy slighty higher than your buget and from a dealer,its just a peace of mined for just in case etc..you know then its been looked after and not ex-racer wit body work been put back on..(ya seen a few of them in disguised)

had my 04 since new 0 mlies ...oh!!had your new engine fitted yet ? he he
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 10:26
I've said it a million times before but  "no one build a bad bike anymore* at least not in the mainstream manufacturers.

It's personal choice as anyone beyond a commuter gives very little regard to anything but looks or performance as a buying preference.
Should it be reasonably reliable, sure but they are superbikes and in 04 Aprilia were a small fry skint manufacturer who sourced a few bad components (as did honda re the stator).
Any bike forum has a tale of woe re any bike you care to mention.

I always think the deciding factor on a good ownership experience is how it is dealt with when it does go wrong and that is where Aprilia have always let themselves down. That's partly financial and partly structure but hey have improved.
Replacing the batch of v4 engines as the did was not cheap or easy but they were very fair to the customers and the dealers on this occasion so you have to give them some credit. 2004 has gone and now is different.

Aprilia borrowed sh*t loads of Euros to fund the v4 program both racing wise and production wise so they can't afford for it to fail. That loan was a junior loan on top of the senior bond they already had so failure is not an option. They can't afford for it to fail hence why the V4 is doing well in WSB.

The R & D budget they and BMW had to make their bikes work was off the scale compared to everyone else in the paddock which shows how keen they are to succeed both on the race track and in terms of attracting your  £'s

joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 22:01
spoonz mind the step, when you get of your soap box....Shocked
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

mxpower918 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpower918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 22:08
joe 90     no engine change as ive got the r4 factory...hehehe

why buy the standard when i can get factory for the same..lol
always look at life in a lighter way.!
joe 90 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Chief Stator tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 22:19
how is your stator ? on the 04
www.spoonztuning.co.uk
I Luv Ducati's

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 00:10
Originally posted by mxpower918 mxpower918 wrote:

joe 90     no engine change as ive got the r4 factory...hehehe

why buy the standard when i can get factory for the same..lol

Some factories had engine changes also.
Just far less than the standard model in the UK at least.

Leave my soap box alone Joe. it's mine and i reserve the right to use it, so there.
If for no other reason than to annoy you Wink

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 23:59
I had a message today from a guy who's mate had a crash on his V4 in front of him.

He was asking about linkage plates as his mate said the rear end collapsed and they appear broken on inspection after the crash.

Haven't we been here before ? Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic