rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyres again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyres again
    Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 13:51
My first post and have been an avid reader of this site since I bought my 05 RSV three years ago. It suffers from all the usual symptoms, but despite this, what a great bike! I live on the Isle of Man, and wondered if anyone can recommend a set of tyres that will last longer than the 1000 miles I got out of my corsa III's. Credit crunch and all, I'm unwilling to lash out 600 quid a year on rubber. Centre tread on the rear is down to canvas and I wouldn't say theres 100 miles left on the front. I take pillions sometimes and go for a blast round the Yorkshire Dales a couple of times a year. I read the post about the BT 016's, but could do with getting 2000 miles out of the rear to make me happy. Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 14:01
HI BON I USE DUNLOP 208 RR AND GET 4000 OUT OF A REAR AND 6000 OUT OF THE FRONT ON AVERAGE . I RIDE QUITE FAST LIKE THE TWISTIES AND CARRY SHE WHO MUST BE OBAYED FROM TIME TO TIME.THEY WARM UP NICE AND QUICK . £110 ISH PAIR FROM MOTOTYRES.COM

OK THEY AINT THE LATEST RUBBER BUT THEY NEVER LET ME DOWN YET .HOWEVER  ONLY RIDE IN DRY CONDTIONS.  

I TEND TO FIND ALOT OF PEOPLE GO ON AND ON ABOUT TYRES AND HOW GOOD OR BAD THEY ARE BLAH BLAH BLAH THEN I GO AND CHECK OUT THERE MASSIVE CHICKEN STRIPS AND HAVE A CHUCLE TO MYSELF ..

HOPE THIS HELPS
bon View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 14:33

Thanks for the reply, have used 207's on a blade (RRW) a few years ago and found them to be ok, also used pilot's on an R1 and they seemed fine just can't remember how long they lasted. But do remember getting two rears to one front almost. Tyres have got to behave in the wet, even if sometimes you just cant avoid it - Jesus haven't I enough to worry about what with cracking swingers and groovey suspension plates!

There must be a tyre out there with a decent centre compound that can remain relatively sporty and confidence inspiring.

Chicken strips, sounds tastey, where do these people get them, KFC??

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 16:38
no probs mate 

ps you can get chicken strips outside any CORNER SHOP lol

good luck with the tyres mate....Wink
AFCNEAL View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFCNEAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 19:33
OK, maybe I'm a bit of woosie rider, but I get 2.5k miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Sports -  they're not as good as my favourite Bridgestones, but certainly last well and I ain't good enough/fast enough to tell if they're better/worse than others for grip, but they certainly last well
jools View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 00:14
Hi Bon the 208rr are a good tyre, California superbike school uses them as they get the most wear out of them. Dont dismiss a sport touring tyre like Bridgestone 021,s as they are dual compound hard in the middle and softer on the edges, so you can still play in the Alps when youve riden there. Ive used them on my 04 Factory with no problems at all and i dont hang  about either. This could be the tyre your after??  Jools

Edited by jools - 19 Feb 2009 at 00:18
philski View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 09:53
Hi mate i use Bridgestones an find them the best ,Phil
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 11:39
+1 for Bridestones.

Bt016 getting rave reviews by Rsv owners. About 3K from rears.
jim4short View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim4short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 11:47
Everyone will differ in their opinion. I've put Michelin Pilot Power 2CT on the rear. Should be good for about 4000ish miles due to the dual compound. Don't ride much in the wet but have been caught out in a downpour where i was chasing my mate on a 08 R6 with Dunlop Qualifiers. My bike kept up through the twistys no probs and it was only due to the fact that I was that cold I couldn't feel my goolies anymore that I backed off and turned home.

Also been out for a thrash with a couple of lads on GSXR's, tyre's have never so much as murmered under me. I checked yesterday and i've had the rear tyre right to the edge to Clap

If you can find an HONEST bike tyre fitter, they should be able to give you a good idea of what you're after too.

Cheers
It is big and it is clever
bon View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 11:52
Cheers fellas, looks like Bridgestones are the favoured choice, will check the condition of my rear suspension while the wheels are off.
A biker mate of mine runs National tyres on the island, fits hundreds of bike tyres, will see him at lunch time and see what he says.

Edited by bon - 19 Feb 2009 at 11:58
bon View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 13:01
Just ordered a set of bt 021's, mate at the tyre shop said twins tear the guts out of the centre tread on the stickier tyres, which was no real suprise. Also recommended the new Dunlops as a good option. At a tyre launch last year he said that McGuinness only uses road tyres at the TT, says they keep the heat much better than race tyres under the trees, up the mountain and through the damp patches. Jesus, if they're good enough for him, theres no way i'll out perform the tyres.
badger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
orange juice and lemonade pls!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by bon bon wrote:

At a tyre launch last year he said that McGuinness only uses road tyres at the TT, says they keep the heat much better than race tyres under the trees, up the mountain and through the damp patches.

Is it the 1st of April alreadyLOL
bon View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 13:24
No BS, and he wasnt getting paid to say it!
badger View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
orange juice and lemonade pls!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 21:50
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, still taking with a pinch of salt mateBig smile
stormin View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 19:13
Twins IMO are not any harder on tyres than anything else.I had a set of Pilot Powers [not 2ct's] on a 06 Tuono and got over 4k.It helped though that Phillip McCallan had set up the suspension and tyre pressure was completely different to so called manufacturers guidelines!
TimTucker View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimTucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 20:24
Might as well resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one...

My front is due for a replacement on my RSV-R 2007.  It's the Dunlop 208 Qualifier (not RR) that was fitted as standard.  I've got a 208 Qualifier RR on the rear at the moment.

I would like something less sporty as the bike does get ridden over the winter and in the rain, as much as I try to avoid that.  Whilst the tyres are great in this weather, I've not been so happy with them in colder conditions, particularly the rear.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I'm not planning a track day or anything like that.  Nor do I ride like the Spawn of Haga.  More like an old biddy.

Cheers.
Dog Tyred View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Tyred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 22:58
Another vote for Pilot Power 2CT here. Can't tell you how long they last but certainly a cracking tyre. Used during a wet training day at Cadwell last year and v.hot Donington this week.

Edited by Dog Tyred - 02 Jul 2009 at 22:58
stormin View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 23:49
After my inital reservations about 016's[seemed at the time to be wearing pretty damned quick on the sides] I have just returned from the SBK at Donny doing 800 m of boring M1/A1,A66 and A75 and the tyres still have plenty of life with a total mileage of 2700m.Definately another set on order.Best tyres ever!!!!!!
Millicent View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millicent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 08:49
 Hi all!
It seems a case one mans meat another mans poision.  Tyres are a personal choice.  Don't laugh, but  I run Mich pilot road 2's on my RSVR.   They're designed for road use so warm up quicker, are dual compound so should last longer,  and have more rain clearence channels than "stickier" rubber,  so more realistic for real world riding.  I've had them on for 2,000 miles so far and there's loads left.  No chicken strips either, so they've got to stick to the road!   Question you've got to ask yourself.  How much road riding do i do against track days?  Are stickier tyres worth the extra expense when sport touring tyres are up where race/ sport tyres were 5 years ago? Just a thought!Wink
I've always wanted a proper bike!!!
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 14:52
Originally posted by Millicent Millicent wrote:

Hi all!
It seems a case one mans meat another mans poision.  Tyres are a personal choice.  Don't laugh, but  I run Mich pilot road 2's on my RSVR.   They're designed for road use so warm up quicker, are dual compound so should last longer,  and have more rain clearence channels than "stickier" rubber,  so more realistic for real world riding.  I've had them on for 2,000 miles so far and there's loads left.  No chicken strips either, so they've got to stick to the road!   Question you've got to ask yourself.  How much road riding do i do against track days?  Are stickier tyres worth the extra expense when sport touring tyres are up where race/ sport tyres were 5 years ago? Just a thought!Wink

Agreed

Wil try the bt016 myself next just because best of both worlds hopefully.
Had used Diablo's for ages which are not bad

Spookshow View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spookshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 17:41
I ran BT-021s on my 02 RSVr just because I had a spare set, and they were great in terms of consistent grip. Problem was that they slowed the steering down, and when they did slide it tended to be very sudden. Also I'm not the quickest rider and I still found it easy to lean right to the edge of the tyre, enough to give concerns of riding off the edge.

I'm running BT-016s now and they give way more feedback so it's much easier to feel when I'm about to provoke a slide. They're good in the wet and warm up quickly enough. Not sure they're exactly the best of both worlds though Spoonz; only limited straight-line riding seems to have started them squaring off. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic