rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What camshafts did people choose ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc30pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What camshafts did people choose ?
    Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 21:22
To those who did the gen 2 head swap , what was the best choice of camshaft to use ? Mix n match ? 

Happy new year everyone ! 

It’s been nice having some time off to finally get back on with my bike !

Also is it possible yet just to add photos on here direct from your iPhone or is it still a bit 56k modem technology ?? Tongue
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 21:59
I haven’t done the head mod but for uploading on here I’ve only ever used my iPhone.
nc30pete View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc30pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 22:03
Oh …it’s probably me being a techno tard and not doing something right regarding pic uploads LOL
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 17:34
GEN1 here with Gen2 heads and four intake cams from 2004 model...prefer 2005 onwards because they are billet
nc30pete View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc30pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 22:28
Thanks for the reply chap, well I have two sets of gen 2 heads as I bought the wrong year heads first so I have a surplus of camshafts - once I get my combination right you’re welcome to some of mine if you want 

I’ve tried to read up as much as I can about this conversion but there’s so many opinions with different bits and bobs you get a bit lost and I just want some answers directly at me if you understand ….

Read the big bore 13 page thread on here , a lot on af1 old threads - there’s a seems to be a mix of using the earlier pressed on cams but welded to stop them walking ( they say this can happen when you tune them but at what power above std are we talking for this effect to take place? ) and also use the later one piece ones for higher lift and duration 

The main thing I’d like to identify is which later style cam is which, ie exh / inlet. I found a pic on camshafts but it’s only for gen 1’s 

Also on the base gasket , is there a need for a thin sealant to be used ? Not like a normal thick type sealant - more like a spray on film - moons ago when I did my mates Chrysler neon h/g the metal gasket came with a spray on sealant - never knew it was a thing until then !
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 22:53
Regarding the early cam lobes walking I have a feeling it's not so much tuning although I guess stronger valve springs do stress them more, I think it's more over revving that normally causes it.

I've not had it happen to my knowledge ( never checked symmetry)  but I did buy some s/h cams that had walked and they can twist a very long way when it does happen.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
nitroargi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitroargi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 09:52
The early cams will deform in hard track abuse. The reason this may happen is heavy load under extreme downshifting. 

You can "melt" material from the cam and weld the lobes with great results...the tip here is to NOT add material for the welding
nc30pete View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc30pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 21:58
Quick question peeps, I didn’t realise the later tuono’s used cast cams , are they the same spec as gen 2 cast jobbies ? 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic