rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RST airbag suit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RST airbag suit
    Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 19:12
I've finally got my new suit! Really impressed with the quality,  I've seen RST suits from years ago and they have certainly upped their game. Hopefully I won't need the bag but I think I'll be very lucky to get through a season without incident so this should protect the soft stuff and unlike other manufacturers you can stick a new gas canister in and ride again without sending the leathers away. There are three in the range, base model at £500, track which I've bought £750 and the top of the range kangaroo leather £999. Decent value and 10% off through infinity motorcycles and a £40 voucher. 

Although this is my track suit I went out for a ride today and it fits brilliantly on the bike and is pretty comfortable which will obviously improve as it breaks in. Highly recommend Thumbs Up

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 19:45
i think airbag is defo the way forward … Richard dog78 went for a custom one i’m sure from somewhere but it was a cranky price even with discount 

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 20:39
My old leathers were bought 13 years ago. Two piece Arlen Ness and they have been excellent but I had to have a one piece for racing so the airbag seemed to be the only real option. I'll keep my old set for the road as they are still in great nick and a race suit is a pain in the arse unless you are just riding. I thought I may have to go the MTM route as I'm small but luckily it fits brilliantly. Prices really have come down for the airbag suits I think it's a no brainer if you are in the market for a new set.
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 22:52
Do you know what the difference is between the base model at 500 and track at 750 and are they one piece or 2?...cheers 
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 03:52
Jesus seems like a good deal a mate just dropped 2k on a alpine airbag suit.
camngetit View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camngetit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:46
My son has the rst airbag suit and loves it, i have rst 2 piece but after reading about the tracks checking the gap between the zip together zip end mine is about 10 inches so locking at gettkmg a suit same as hi 
its twins for me !!!!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 12:01
[QUOTE=spiceweasel]Do you know what the difference is between the base model at 500 and track at 750 and are they one piece or 2?...cheers [/QUOTE
]

The 500 is a road based design, the other two have a much more aggressive cut for track and it's really comfortable on the bike.

All of them use the same in&motion airbag which you either buy outright or pay a monthly subscription which you can cancel as and when you are not riding. All one piece 
JMH View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 18:16
I cannot find one to try on so need to determine my size in another way.

176 cm & 81 kg on the sporty side.
Chest circumference 103 cm

Anyone of similar size? Do you have 52 or 54.

Does the suite need a separate chest protector or does the airbag cover the chest side too?
Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & Beta 480 RR MY19
My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 18:40
No back protector needed but you can wear a chest protector. If you go on the 44teeth site you can buy one through them with a 10% discount and they will take it back if it doesn't fit FOC. I was going to do that but my local bike shop agreed to get my size in for me to try.
EmmaAva12 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaAva12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 06:40
Best suits available at Maximo Moto located at west Bromwich Birmingham UK and best fit in all sizes.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 20:59
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

i think airbag is defo the way forward … Richard dog78 went for a custom one i’m sure from somewhere but it was a cranky price even with discount 
Hi Mark, send you a Pm soon mate, things have gone bit haywire lately, lost a mate last Friday, he was in his Ducati 999,but I only been on that road twice, but too many blind crossroads.
Yes I have a set of PSI with an Alpinestars jacket, but them suits are race cut so like Adam says, they are only comfortable on the bike, i have worn it once, but needs track really, hopefully Spain for 5 days next year.
At nearly 62 now, i couldn't afford any more injuries, they even made my shoulders look the same length on the exterior, the fisrt time in nearly 40 years πŸ˜‚.
My mate has the same suit as Adam's, but smashed his hip when the TZ highsided but he was in first place, but them two strokes are vicious when they let go. He's a year older than me. 
PSI have a proper Alpinestars licence to make them suits like BKS. After wearing one, I don't think I would wear nothing else, but it is personal preference. 
I was lucky to get all the extras though. 
Adam enjoy your racing, trackday will never feel the same after that πŸ‘πŸ‘
JMH View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 18:12
Tried my mate’s non-airbag RST in size 42 (52 EU). Fitted like a glove. Order made on the pro series suite and it is on its way together with a pair of Daytona boots.

My gear starts to be more valuable than my ride.
Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & Beta 480 RR MY19
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 19:40
If it keeps you in one piece it’s worth every penny.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 04:57
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

If it keeps you in one piece it’s worth every penny.
Absolutely hemi, and JMH you might to  get to ride it more, my mate's argument was he would get two extra meetings buying a RST suit, but although leading the Vetran class, he now got two fracture in his hips, now his suit cost the same as my airbag, and I am not saying it was at fault, and at 63 on a two stroke I am not saying my leathers would have saved him.
Anyone who thinks Michael Dunlop wears a suit who some Pakistani has made is living in a dreamland. 
You buy the best you can afford, and it don't make any difference if it costs more than the bike. Like hemi says it keeps you together, then you get to ride another day. 
I looked at them Daytona boots, lovely boots but expensive but comfortable, I got a set Dainese Torque 3 Out Boots now plus 1sthat ain't perforated which I keep for the road. Wear Five gloves too, the best I have worn, the safer you feel the more confidence it will give you. I move much easier in them leathers than anything I have worn before. Pay once cry once πŸ˜‚βœŒοΈπŸ‘

JMH View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 18:19
Yeah,

I got the Security Evo GP version inner boots but standard Security Evo outers. Did not reckon the ceramic toe slider and kevlar heel were worth the extra 250-260 €.

So, the pro series airbag suite and boots cost me a hefty 1 420 € including postage.

Then comes the license fee for the suite's brains. I think I will buy it off in one go.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 21:22
I looked into that and it didn't work out far of my Alpinestars if paid in instalments,so a good idea to buy it straight out.
My biggest protection is needed in my ringt collarbone and Alpinestars had the best coverage, with two breaks it will need a plate next time. Protection is more important that what you are riding, saying that things can go wrong at anytime, you can get hit by somebody else, but any air vest is better than nothing. 
Over 200 bhp at the back wheel the Superstock is sliding the back and picking up the front. Been lucky in my 62 years with that injury plus wrist, ankle and shoulder blade 🀣.
But didn't have all this modern gear then, ain't fail proof I guess but a lot different than the site I used to race in . Having the ability to put my feet on the footrests without pulling on my sliders is great,also feels like riding in your baselayers when run in, but them leathers almost make you feel like iron mam πŸ˜‚βœŒοΈπŸ‘. 
Made to measure is definitely worth it πŸ‘
Be the safe as you can, bikes are easy to fix, but injuries can be life changing πŸ‘
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 14:15
That's a bloody cool suit Rich Thumbs Up
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 14:18
Originally posted by JMH JMH wrote:

Yeah,

I got the Security Evo GP version inner boots but standard Security Evo outers. Did not reckon the ceramic toe slider and kevlar heel were worth the extra 250-260 €.

So, the pro series airbag suite and boots cost me a hefty 1 420 € including postage.

Then comes the license fee for the suite's brains. I think I will buy it off in one go.

I thought about buying it outright but as I'll only pay the monthly subscription for half the year and if,/when they improve the brain you'll have to buy another one whereas inamotion send out a new box as part of the deal. 
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 16:23
Glad it finally arrived Adam. Think though you'll only get the benefit of the airbag when you fall, you'll constantly appreciate the better freedom a one piece suit gives you. I found mine far more comfortable than my old two piece. Though with the kevlar type stretchy stuff between the legs I was surprised by  the amount of air hitting my nuts as I tipped in to Coppice at Cadwell the first time out. 

How much is the monthly subscription? Also, why doesn't it need a back protector? Is the one inside it good enough? 
Owen
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:06
I've never really thought about air suits before, but this thread got me interested.
How can RST make a road one piece air suit for £500-600 when you go onto Sportsbikeshop and see air vests by themselves going for £350-600?
I've got an RST Blade 2 piece which I will replace in about 18 months time and the air suit appeals, not least because I'm now in my 60s and don't bounce as well as I used to!
I would like to have a look at the RST road biased one piece, anyone seen one and can comment on the quality?
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:11
I’m going to get one of the dainese air bag vests in the spring, I can then use it in any of my jackets, numerous other companies make similar versions as well.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:12
I'm going to crash a couple times without an air bag so I really feel the benefit when I get one πŸ˜‚
Owen
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 21:35
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Glad it finally arrived Adam. Think though you'll only get the benefit of the airbag when you fall, you'll constantly appreciate the better freedom a one piece suit gives you. I found mine far more comfortable than my old two piece. Though with the kevlar type stretchy stuff between the legs I was surprised by  the amount of air hitting my nuts as I tipped in to Coppice at Cadwell the first time out. 

How much is the monthly subscription? Also, why doesn't it need a back protector? Is the one inside it good enough? 

Subscribe for 12quid a month which you can cancel as and when. The airbag inflates around your back hence no back protector. It is really comfortable mate can't wait to get it on track. 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:00
Really good value that really. Considering you only need to pay through the track season. 
Owen
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 19:35
I thought so too mate, depending on what bike I'm using I will probably wear it on the road too but only in the summer months when I'm track riding so it will work out around 70quid a year. I can definitely live with that. The re charge canisters are 60quid each
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 07:49
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

That's a bloody cool suit Rich Thumbs Up
Thanks Adam, i looked into all the airbag kit about 2 years ago.
But even in two years things have changed. 
But my suit is a lot of money, but has their GP spec and the same as Danny Webb's besides the rear panel which is made out off cohide all the rest is Kangaroo, the Alpinestars vest is their race vest. But i believe that any vest has got to be better than nothing.
My mate who races who has the RST made to measure suit took nearly 3 months and was a made to measure and he got it last Christmas. He wore my suit as i took it over there, liked it, but the thought of getting a mtm RST suit for less than my air vest is was just too strong, and he said he would get two extra meetings buying that, well it didn't work out that way as he has a fracture in his hip, which he had before in a non airvest suit a Spidi i and think. When you go racing which ain't cheap, I don't think something that could save your life or serious injury should be a at least a consideration now.
They reckon they will not make it protection for your lower body in the near future, but it will probably come maybe ten years on. 
It is personal choice, I am glad you bought some protection, especially when racing. You are right about one thing, the are great when riding you hardly know you got them on, but not made for off the bike for sure 🀣. 
Best of luck for your coming season, you are going to love it πŸ‘Œ πŸ‘
JMH View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 19:30
The RST suite from FC-Moto came. Size 52 EU fitted well.

The actual brain for the airbag was missing. Not in the coat hanger bag, not inside the suite. Gotta say I was mildly surprised.

I will pick up the phone and talk to the Zermans tomorrow.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 03:32
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

I've never really thought about air suits before, but this thread got me interested.
How can RST make a road one piece air suit for £500-600 when you go onto Sportsbikeshop and see air vests by themselves going for £350-600?
I've got an RST Blade 2 piece which I will replace in about 18 months time and the air suit appeals, not least because I'm now in my 60s and don't bounce as well as I used to!
I would like to have a look at the RST road biased one piece, anyone seen one and can comment on the quality?
Well that's nearly two years younger than me πŸ˜‚, yes we don't bounce that well. 
Here's a bit of insight about air vests and suits, tbh the money I spent on that Superstock, buying some decent protection felt only fair to protect myself, plus i already have enough injuries to cope with from years ago. Them air vests would have probably prevented all the upper body injuries.
Also Dainese and Alpinestars use Argon gas to inflatewhich they have a patent on. There's more to it than even that article or link says. 
You really have to do your own research,and then make your mind up, i see someone earlier saying that they bought and Alpinestars air vest and suit for 2k, and there is a reason for that. Anything is better than nothing. I never tried a RST air bag suit so I ain't going to comment on its quality. 
https://m.louis.eu/artikel/alpinestars-tech-air-race-e-airbag-vest-only-in-selected-stores/208994
Now that covers more of my shoulders. 
But I see now the C5 can take the the race algorithms too, and it nearly half priceπŸ‘

JMH View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 07:32
In&Motion has a Black Friday offer for the box.  Cheaper leasing deal and what caught me was the direct purchase of the box at 249€. Now it is mine.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 10:15
Originally posted by JMH JMH wrote:

In&Motion has a Black Friday offer for the box.  Cheaper leasing deal and what caught me was the direct purchase of the box at 249€. Now it is mine.

How does that work with updates or improvements do you get a new box FOC ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic