rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fave tyres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fave tyres
    Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 21:39
Which tyres do you guys rate which give reasonable mileage/grip? I know it's a personal thing but I've lost touch with sports bike tyres and there's probably not a bad tyre made these days so interested if there's a common theme for those with RSV Mille's.

Mine came shod with dunlop Sportsmax GP-300s which were newly fitted.  50 miles in and they've bedded in nicely and seem to offer a nice uniform lean -in albeit limited in lean angle before you ride the things off the edge of the back.  Seem to have a very uniform contact patch as I can gas them out of corners and they stay rock solid but think I preferred the Bridgestones fitted to my last one.
R1200RS

Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 01:10
SportSmarties.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 01:43
S22'S

I rode my gen 1 to snetterton did a full day and rode back. Heaps of grip and they get up to temp rather quickly and i believe the peak grips are achieved faster than say a set of Rosso 3's plus the S22 tyre is great in sh*t weather. 
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 07:59
Sport smart 3s on mine , have had 1,2 and this year the 3s ,might be better out there but if you’ve not road on them you don’t know ,I’ve stuck to the Dunlop’s???
My tyre shop said they mostly fit S22s .
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 08:44
I fitted S22's at the beginning of this year and have found them excellent, a vast improvement on the S20 EVO's I had previously. Fast to warm up, agile but also stable and with lots of feel to give massive confidence.

They maybe won't turn quite like a properly warmed up Super Corsa but I don't think anyone can keep them in the correct temperature range on the road unless going banzai in the best weather we get. And who need that on the ropad anyway? Under normal British weather I found SC's had little feel and were a bit of a liability. The S22's also have a reasonable tread pattern to cope with the wet unlike the SC's.

Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 09:41
Thanks chaps.  S22's seem to tick a lot of boxes for people, but I have another question relating to dual compound designs like this.  Not a single one of any previous DC tyres I've tried has worn evenly.  They all eventually wear edges first and leave the bike feeling nervous with a rapid drop in once part worn.  I liked the CT2's from new for example but after 1K miles they were about ready to change because of uneven wear.  The last set of Pirellis I tried had the same issue, the rears being unrideable after just 750 miles!  Are the S22's similar or do they wear more evenly?

The thing I do like about Dunlops is they do tend to wear more evenly, at least on some of their single compound constructions.  The other thing I noted about the Sportmax GP tyres is  even with the OZ wheels, you can notice how light the tyres are as they flick side to side and turn in even quicker than the Bridgestone's I used on my Eddy Rep.  Not sure if their construction is more prone to punctures though.
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:07
They wear fine. When you get on track you will realise the genius of the S22 it's an amazing road tyre and a brilliantly fast turning quick track tyre that you wouldn't mind going out in the wet.
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:13
I'll include them on my shortlist along with the Dunlop SM 3's in that case.  Should get a few thousand out of the current GP300 boots first though.
R1200RS

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 13:43
I've run my Gen 1 Tuono on M7RRs for donkeys years; very happy with them, good feedback, they've never let go and mileage isn't bad either. 
Will probably go with the M9s when this pair wear out.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 19:00
Another shout out for Dunlop Smarties,had the first version and they were everything I wanted road and track,the second gen with the skinny,rounded front profile I really didn't like.

I needed new boots in a hurry and I got a good deal on a set of Bridgestone RS10's that Jezza McWilliams had ripped a few laps round Rockingham for a magazine tyre test so they were half price and nicely scrubbed in,those were even better to my mind.

Last time I went on track I still had that RS10 on the front with an Avon 3D ultra sticky on the rear,I think that combo was the best I've ever ridden on and the Mille is still wearing them years later.

Fast forward to the ongoing rebuild of my Tuono and I bought a set of S22's to try for that,and I'm expecting good things given everything I've read so far.   
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
greenman1966 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenman1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 19:48
well, I've just been trialling the Power 5, and it's not good, too hard in the middle, too soft on the outside. and overall the carcase a bit soft. Fitted some S22 and all is back to being good, this is on a Gen 1 Tuono. 
I ran the Power 5 for 1500k, and they only just felt scrubbed in, but the wear pattern was showing that the sides were wearing, and the centre was untouched. It had good grip when leaned over, but then would drift or side when at moderate lean angles. So, I lost confidence in them and changed over to the S22. immediately it was better, and they scrubbed in within 50K.
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 20:33
That's my main gripe with many dual compound tyres and with most of the Pilots I've had except for the early sports touring one (single compound) which was a great tyre.

S22's and sportsmax/smarties look to be the tyres of choice.
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 21:06
I have a brand new pair of 200 profile S22'S ready to get on the V4. I have Rosso 3s on and I'm looking for any excuse to ge the 22s on.
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:45
Another vote for the S22's.

I'll see how I get on with the Sportsmax GPs.  They're a lot cheaper to replace so the governing factor for me is in what confidence they give in wet as well as dry conditions and how evenly they wear.  I'm running 35f, 39r cold pressures for a little extra grip and will keep them slightly lower than book into the autumn/winter. 
R1200RS

cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 19:28
I put metzeler m7rr on my gen2 tuono and i found them excellent.  Just put m9rr on the Suzuki,  I'll never get to the limits on them so i think I'll go back to the m7rr's. Don't know if its any help
born ugly what's your excuse!!
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 20:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbZBS6CYzGo&list=PLG5ENnKvqyd30sdph-Zqtby3_BxdFTsgu&index=10&ab_channel=44Teeth

This is i think where a lot of people came across or decided to try the S22s i mean they ride all the way to mugello do a trackday and come back on a pair of S22s
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 21:18
Been following these Bristol boys exploits for a few years.  Chris is the one with the SP1 ridden recently by Griff.
R1200RS

Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 09:45
Originally posted by greenman1966 greenman1966 wrote:

well, I've just been trialling the Power 5, and it's not good, too hard in the middle, too soft on the outside. and overall the carcase a bit soft. Fitted some S22 and all is back to being good, this is on a Gen 1 Tuono. 
I ran the Power 5 for 1500k, and they only just felt scrubbed in, but the wear pattern was showing that the sides were wearing, and the centre was untouched. It had good grip when leaned over, but then would drift or side when at moderate lean angles. So, I lost confidence in them and changed over to the S22. immediately it was better, and they scrubbed in within 50K.

Smarties seem to have the compounds just about right I think. 
The sidewalls appear to be stiffer than average which helps run lower pressures.
My only gripe is that they can be an absolute twat to spoon onto your rims in cold temps.

blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

Originally posted by greenman1966 greenman1966 wrote:

Smarties seem to have the compounds just about right I think. 
The sidewalls appear to be stiffer than average which helps run lower pressures.
My only gripe is that they can be an absolute twat to spoon onto your rims in cold temps.

Temperature makes a huge difference when changing any tyre I think. A couple weeks ago I took a Metzeler compk off my rear wheel and found I could break the bead with my bare hands. Completely different story to doing it on a cold February morning.
Owen
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 14:31
Just to throw a little wrench into the party.
Anyone tried CST ADRENO SPORT.

Cheap and good, super grip, wet/dry and heats up quick.
Not long lasting, 6500km’s. But consistent, stable and a surprise tyre from China😆

Super happyClap
Shake'n bake
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 15:23
Originally posted by Ice-mille Ice-mille wrote:

Not long lasting, 6500km’s. But consistent, stable and a surprise tyre from China😆

Super happyClap

That isn't bad mileage for a sports tyre really. However I'm trying to reduce what I buy from China and I think we all should or there's bad things coming our way.
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 15:28
Just put Metzler Roadtec SE01's on my Superduke. Done 2000 miles around Scotland & barely showing any wear. Same trip last year almost did for a M7rr. We had some proper rain & they felt good.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:36
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Originally posted by Ice-mille Ice-mille wrote:

Super happyClap

That isn't bad mileage for a sports tyre really. However I'm trying to reduce what I buy from China and I think we all should or there's bad things coming our way.

I could be wrong, but isn't CST ChenShing......aka Maxis and made in Taiwan?

I'm now actively trying to support Taiwan as they are under increasing pressure from President Pooh and the PRC
Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:26
I just a set of S21's on my Mille, after reading the comments above should have put the S22's on Cry
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 22:58
yeah i think the 22 is a better tyre in every regards, the 21 is more of a sport cruiser tyre.
JMH View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 08:24
My take: modern sport tyres compromise road performance as they have so much track design in them. Even with trail braking on the road you struggle to heat them up to optimum, especially if it is chilly.

My choice for pure road riding: modern sport touring tyre. One is far better off with them in mixed conditions and road surfaces.

Times were different 20 years ago. Then a sport touring tyre was a hard piece of soap.

Did a tour in Scotland on Z8s 2017 and a tour on Italy with M7RRs this year. In damp no confidence on the M7s and on slippy dry tarmac lost both ends at the same time once. Loved the Z8s.

A mate capable of riding very decent pace had latest Pilot Roads on his S1000RR. His riding is lively with 100 mph rolling burn outs etc. He does not understand how one can complain the grip on the pilots in road conditions on unfamiliar roads. 
Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & Beta 480 RR MY19
My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 11:52
with the pilot its not the grip, its the feel, it just feels dull compared to say a s22 which gets up to temp in a few corners. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic