rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alpinestars leathers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alpinestars leathers
    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 11:35
Hi All, not been checking in for a while, but wanted an opinion. Yesterday I treated myself to a new set of Alpinestar leathers, GP-R jacket and Missile pants. My RST set got a bit baggy as I've lost a bit of weight lately, so it was a choice of getting the RST set taken in or a new set. The crunch came when my riding mate said I looked like I was a kid wearing my dads kit !!!
Anyhow, I digress. 
Those of you out there that have Alpinestar kit, is it best to get an Alpinestar back protector, or will any other brand fit just as well. Was considering a Forcefield - I've never had a separate protector, always relied on the one supplied as standard.
Thoughts please
Andy
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 11:50
Hey dude 

I’ve a alpinestars one piece but I use either the forcefield or a Knox back protector. Only reason being is I snapped my alpinestar one in half during an accident (did it’s job though) and at the time I couldn’t buy a replacement! Knox were giving me a big discount so I got that. The forcefield one I also got as it was thinner. Basically I’ve three sets of one pieces and depending what I wear, depends on what back protector I choose for comfort.  
Whilst I would happily buy an alpinestar one….I now also want a chest protector and I am looking at the suit thing that has a chest and back protector that you side over yourself like spandex as food for thought. If you had that you may need your dads leathers again though 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
ajaycad View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 12:03
Hey James, hope your well......

Yeah just looked at a Forcefield one, seems they do one that is identical to the shape of the Alpinestar one, so will go with that I think.
As much as I like my RST set (when they fitted !) this is the first set of Alpinestar leathers I've owned and have to say the suppleness and quality is much better, but then you get what you pay for. Previously had a one piece Dianese suit which again was quality.

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 12:38
I've got a forcefield protector and it's been spot on. I'm currently waiting on a airsuit which was supposed to be with me by the 26th ( ordered 8 weeks ago! ) but it's now been put back another 6 weeks so that's basically this season's track riding finished with so my old set will have to do. Was tempted by the A star option but was almost double the cost and the RST airbag suits are getting excellent reviews. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 13:53
I’m looking at getting a dainese smart jacket, it’s an airbag jacket you can wear under or over your gear or any other brand you have.
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 16:32
Thinking of treating myself to a alpinestars one piece suit, how does the fit compare to rst? I'm having to order online so just wondering if  a  alpinestars size is same as rst, reason I'm asking is when i tried few sets of leathers on couple years ago, although they were all a 50 uk size some were tighter than others due to different cut of suit etc. Any opinions? Basically is a alpinestars size 50uk same as rst size 50. Thanks in advance guys
born ugly what's your excuse!!
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 16:35
I found the most recent alpinestar suits to be on the small size compared to the same sized rst suits. The rst ones seem generous by comparison. The regular rst ones are roomier than the rst race dept ones too. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 18:29
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

I found the most recent alpinestar suits to be on the small size compared to the same sized rst suits. The rst ones seem generous by comparison. The regular rst ones are roomier than the rst race dept ones too. 

So go up a size on alpinestars maybe. Nearest stockists to me is in Wrexham which is 70 miles away so maybe I'll take a ride up sometime. Thank you 🤘
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 19:53
I use a Forcefield Vest for trackdays it has chest protector and back protector built in, just zip it up the front and fits under any leathers  Thumbs Up
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 20:02
Originally posted by cwp cwp wrote:

So go up a size on alpinestars maybe. Nearest stockists to me is in Wrexham which is 70 miles away so maybe I'll take a ride up sometime. Thank you 🤘

Definitely try a pair dude. The Alpinestars I tried were the same size as my existing pair and I couldn’t even get my legs in. We all different shapes and sizes naturally. I can’t fit Dainese over my shoulders. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 20:52

Definitely try a pair dude. The Alpinestars I tried were the same size as my existing pair and I couldn’t even get my legs in. We all different shapes and sizes naturally. I can’t fit Dainese over my shoulders. 

Thank you my friend. Some suits that were a 50uk i couldn't get over my shoulders, rst trackday i bought are comfy and surprisingly roomy for my post lockdown frame lol. Think I'll stick with what i got, was falling into the new bike new leathers syndrome lol. Maybe next year, was just wondering about sizing and if anyone else found it baffling lol
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 05:28

Thank you my friend. Some suits that were a 50uk i couldn't get over my shoulders, rst trackday i bought are comfy and surprisingly roomy for my post lockdown frame lol. Think I'll stick with what i got, was falling into the new bike new leathers syndrome lol. Maybe next year, was just wondering about sizing and if anyone else found it baffling lol
Hi Aled, long time, I hope you are keeping well mate. 
Yes if you can get to place to try them on then buy them on line it would be best. 
It is really what you want and what for, like wigginsjp said about the race and road suits are different and he's absolutely right, my PSI is a race cut and it is most comfortable on the a track bike. 
They do the basic version and the next one up, and Hil for leather told me to go for that one, if you look hard enough you can find them with not much of a price difference. 
Or do what Adam is doing and get a made to measure, that's what i did with my PSI airbag one, the trouble is none would fit my shoulders and one is inch and quarter shorter but always too small, and I have many over the years. Tbh i wouldn't have bothered if I knew I was going to be out for nearly three years 😂. Yes made to measure is a better way to go. 
My mate got a RST for 900 quid but he has an ACU, that's cheap with an airbag. Don't buy anything that ain't made for that pacticular airbag too. Alpinestars do a C5 now which is great for the road. I have an Alpinestars jacket that takes an airbag but I just wear my Forcefield back protector as you got to change the race vest to riad and remove it out the leathers and put in the jacket. But that C5 us half the price of the race one and now you can program them fir track i heard, but best check that.
Forcefield back protectors are great, they mould to you body as they get warm and after a while you hardly notice them. 
Take a good look though, there's a lot if sh*te out there too, but the second suit that Alpinestars do you can't go wrong. 
Good luck ✌️👍
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 16:50
Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

Hi Aled, long time, I hope you are keeping well mate. 
Yes if you can get to place to try them on then buy them on line it would be best. 
It is really what you want and what for, like wigginsjp said about the race and road suits are different and he's absolutely right, my PSI is a race cut and it is most comfortable on the a track bike. 
They do the basic version and the next one up, and Hil for leather told me to go for that one, if you look hard enough you can find them with not much of a price difference. 
Or do what Adam is doing and get a made to measure, that's what i did with my PSI airbag one, the trouble is none would fit my shoulders and one is inch and quarter shorter but always too small, and I have many over the years. Tbh i wouldn't have bothered if I knew I was going to be out for nearly three years 😂. Yes made to measure is a better way to go. 
My mate got a RST for 900 quid but he has an ACU, that's cheap with an airbag. Don't buy anything that ain't made for that pacticular airbag too. Alpinestars do a C5 now which is great for the road. I have an Alpinestars jacket that takes an airbag but I just wear my Forcefield back protector as you got to change the race vest to riad and remove it out the leathers and put in the jacket. But that C5 us half the price of the race one and now you can program them fir track i heard, but best check that.
Forcefield back protectors are great, they mould to you body as they get warm and after a while you hardly notice them. 
Take a good look though, there's a lot if sh*te out there too, but the second suit that Alpinestars do you can't go wrong. 
Good luck ✌️👍

Hi buddy, I'm ok thanks, tired but ok. Mums not been well so needs more looking after, but thats ok who needs sleep anyway lol. Wouldn't want it any other way mate. Closest place to me is demon tweeks in Wrexham, I'm suffering with middle age spread lol. They don't stock many suits now but i might go next year. Have to put it on hold this year as i need a mattress and one of those recliner chairs fo elderly. Tbh, my rst one piece will do me just fine, was in that new bike, new leathers mentality lol. I hope you're well my friend 👍🤘 and thank you buddy 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 19:16
Hi Aled, i feel for you Aled, my mum has Dementia, and it is terrible bud, but I can't look after her no more, had two mothers my Godmother who has passed, but I have the upmost respect for you and wish you all the best, we have been carers for a long time. We all have a duty of care as they did for us and it should always be reciprocated. Take care mate 👏👌👍
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 13:42

Hi Aled, i feel for you Aled, my mum has Dementia, and it is terrible bud, but I can't look after her no more, had two mothers my Godmother who has passed, but I have the upmost respect for you and wish you all the best, we have been carers for a long time. We all have a duty of care as they did for us and it should always be reciprocated. Take care mate 👏👌👍

Hi Richard, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum mate, you've done your best nobody can ask more. I'll do it like you until i can't anymore. It's a privilege to be allowed to care for them and do it without question. I've got the utmost respect for you my friend. I'd was offered a job in a dementia care home 10 years ago, and after spending a day there as my interview, i realised i couldn't do it. I don't think I could shut off after my shift and I'd be upset so it takes a special person to care for dementia patients. It must be heartbreaking for you not being able to do anymore. You'll still be there for her i know that and she will know it. It's your time now my friend, you've earned it. If you need to talk pm me and I'll give you my number. Take care brother and talk soon buddy 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 14:17

Hi Richard, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum mate, you've done your best nobody can ask more. I'll do it like you until i can't anymore. It's a privilege to be allowed to care for them and do it without question. I've got the utmost respect for you my friend. I'd was offered a job in a dementia care home 10 years ago, and after spending a day there as my interview, i realised i couldn't do it. I don't think I could shut off after my shift and I'd be upset so it takes a special person to care for dementia patients. It must be heartbreaking for you not being able to do anymore. You'll still be there for her i know that and she will know it. It's your time now my friend, you've earned it. If you need to talk pm me and I'll give you my number. Take care brother and talk soon buddy 
Thank you Aled, so kind and much appreciated, as you know i lost my Godmother, who was my second mum and done so much for me, as i grew up with her in my late teens. 
Like you say you can only do your best for them, but Ms is so different to dealing with Dementia. I have always admired you and Rick, as you always done as much as possible. 
Thank you again for your kind offer 👌👍
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 21:58

Thank you Aled, so kind and much appreciated, as you know i lost my Godmother, who was my second mum and done so much for me, as i grew up with her in my late teens. 
Like you say you can only do your best for them, but Ms is so different to dealing with Dementia. I have always admired you and Rick, as you always done as much as possible. 
Thank you again for your kind offer 👌👍

Hi Richard, thanks my friend. Ms is a different kettle of fish to dementia yes. Its a horrible thing. I've practically been up for 2 days with only couple hours kip. Hopefully have better night tonight lol. Hopefully I'll be able to get few miles done on the gsx1000s tomorrow caring duties permitting. Takes some getting used to after 13 years on the tuono lol
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 18:45
Aled enjoy your new bike, they are different from the Aprilias. I still have the Aprilia which my mum used to watch me build and help when she could so it won't be going nowhere in the near future.
The online fours are quite different for sure, but more complex in certain ways. But you know me i can't leave things alone £.
The 2015 R1 has basically said that has the chassis and engine and rod loom left on it, but it's very quick, I hope you enjoy your new bike, i hope to get one more ride on it before i winterise it and start on the poor old Aprilia which need my attention now.
Take care ✌️👍
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 19:22

Aled enjoy your new bike, they are different from the Aprilias. I still have the Aprilia which my mum used to watch me build and help when she could so it won't be going nowhere in the near future.
The online fours are quite different for sure, but more complex in certain ways. But you know me i can't leave things alone �£.
The 2015 R1 has basically said that has the chassis and engine and rod loom left on it, but it's very quick, I hope you enjoy your new bike, i hope to get one more ride on it before i winterise it and start on the poor old Aprilia which need my attention now.
Take care ✌️👍

Keep hold of tha Ape, that's a brilliant memory for you with your mum. Those R1's are rapid i believe...too much for me lol. Not many days keft now before i put mine up for winter too. Take care Richard  👌🤘
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 19:43
Yes they are especially this one, it's funny i went out with GSXRR the other day and he said that R1 spit stones at mine 😂, I had 5 year old K2s on from the Aprilia.
He gave up trying to keep up with it when it wheelie out of corner lent over and me on the front of it with a bit thumb brake. 
It was made for track and I thought i will have two more years at it, but little did we know all this Covid was going to happen. 
Tbh it is too fast for the road, can't wait to get on track now Seton has mapped it i can go below TC 1 😂.
The Aprilia will always remind me of my mum, it is a pity she never saw it go round Donington, but she was looking after me, got it wrong and it backed in with its Yoyodyne slipper clutch.
Might try my PSI leathers tomorrow, the Alpinestars air jacket isa set for road. Probably be the last time it comes out this year, and i start work on the Aprilia. Ride safe buddy ✌️👍
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 19:38

Yes they are especially this one, it's funny i went out with GSXRR the other day and he said that R1 spit stones at mine 😂, I had 5 year old K2s on from the Aprilia.
He gave up trying to keep up with it when it wheelie out of corner lent over and me on the front of it with a bit thumb brake. 
It was made for track and I thought i will have two more years at it, but little did we know all this Covid was going to happen. 
Tbh it is too fast for the road, can't wait to get on track now Seton has mapped it i can go below TC 1 😂.
The Aprilia will always remind me of my mum, it is a pity she never saw it go round Donington, but she was looking after me, got it wrong and it backed in with its Yoyodyne slipper clutch.
Might try my PSI leathers tomorrow, the Alpinestars air jacket isa set for road. Probably be the last time it comes out this year, and i start work on the Aprilia. Ride safe buddy ✌️👍

How did the ride go? Hope you covered a few miles. I went out today but traffic was murder...45mph for gawds sake. Won't be long now till i put mine away 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 21:58
Aled last ride was last Saturday and there was so much police about it weren't worth it, I turned around and came home.
Losing a licence won't be so good now, at least I had an ACU when I was younger and could go with friends to the meetings.
The leathers were tight, but I need a track to break them in, roll on next year when I can go back on track, just concentrating on my fitness and body which will take some fixing, but making progress on my own, no pain, no gain 😁, well it's sort of working. Can't wait too get my Aprlia going again, she is quite a special bike and miss it on the road especially, saying that it was great on track too. But that Aprilia trackday we ended in the same garage as the Yamaha BSB team who were doing some testing, also the V4s were so much faster down the straight and out of corners , got my own back on them with the R1 with its slide control it was like being shot out of cannon 😂.
Yes good ride, felt safe in my PSI leathers air bag suit, bit like Iron Man 😂.
But you can't really enjoy it on the road, track is it's happy and where I happy ridding it,i just went too far with it, but like the Aprilia don't I always, but I couldn't stand thrashing the poor Aprilia on track, although it handled brilliantly
Looking forward to recommissioning the Aprilia with its last two upgrades, pfm race caliper and the Corsa Corta 16/18 clutch master.
Let's hope we all get some more riding in next year 😀 🤞👍
Take care, will be needing some help again on the Aprilia, so will be here a lot, let's hope its OK after three years not running.
Yes I will be using fuel stabliser this time I get it running, two new front brake lines, like the R1 running straight down with, 90 degrees bends on the Accasato.
Take care Aled, send you a Pm soon✌️👍
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 22:24

Aled last ride was last Saturday and there was so much police about it weren't worth it, I turned around and came home.
Losing a licence won't be so good now, at least I had an ACU when I was younger and could go with friends to the meetings.
The leathers were tight, but I need a track to break them in, roll on next year when I can go back on track, just concentrating on my fitness and body which will take some fixing, but making progress on my own, no pain, no gain 😁, well it's sort of working. Can't wait too get my Aprlia going again, she is quite a special bike and miss it on the road especially, saying that it was great on track too. But that Aprilia trackday we ended in the same garage as the Yamaha BSB team who were doing some testing, also the V4s were so much faster down the straight and out of corners , got my own back on them with the R1 with its slide control it was like being shot out of cannon 😂.
Yes good ride, felt safe in my PSI leathers air bag suit, bit like Iron Man 😂.
But you can't really enjoy it on the road, track is it's happy and where I happy ridding it,i just went too far with it, but like the Aprilia don't I always, but I couldn't stand thrashing the poor Aprilia on track, although it handled brilliantly
Looking forward to recommissioning the Aprilia with its last two upgrades, pfm race caliper and the Corsa Corta 16/18 clutch master.
Let's hope we all get some more riding in next year 😀 🤞👍
Take care, will be needing some help again on the Aprilia, so will be here a lot, let's hope its OK after three years not running.
Yes I will be using fuel stabliser this time I get it running, two new front brake lines, like the R1 running straight down with, 90 degrees bends on the Accasato.
Take care Aled, send you a Pm soon✌️👍

Thanks Rich. Do you run superunleaded in the ape? That's all i used to put in the tuono unless i couldn't get any, and i knew I'd empty the tank quickly. Still use superunleaded in the gsx1000s mainly although i had to use e10 the other day. The ape should be ok after 3 years standing. You're in best place for advice and help anyway lol. Cheers my friend 🤘👍
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 23:05
I use Esso premium if I can or E5 but if they ain't got any you are in trouble and have to use the E10, personally I would avoid it.
They say Esso dose not have Ethanol in it where I live and I always use that in the Ape. 
The worrying thing is it came back from Donny and the becoof covid I hardly had acesss to it, plus I had my hands full with the R1 Superstock . I will take the fuel pump out replace the filter and gasket if it needs it, maybe put something down the bores to lubricate them, run it over with new filter and service with the sparkplugs out afrer turning it by hand first then try to start it with a but of injector cleaner in it, if it starts i will be happy man, put some stabliser and get on with the rest of it. 👍
Well I built it with the help from here so if I run into problems like you say there's plenty of help here. 
I was in two minds with Mark two go with the big bores 1127,but the cost of all it, for the power increase wasn't worth it so we both bought R1s. Also the brake upgrades and suspension plus so much more, the handling has been transformed and it ran of both sides of the 200/55 tyre, much better handling, the Braketech discs all around,  I got an Ironbite air box ring to fit as well, so more than happy, and she goes extremely well with all the mods I done. But much better road bike now than the R1, it might not been the same story but after that last map it is just vicious, thank god it has a thumb brake as it just want to lift the front whenever it feel like and need  of them tankers flying above it to fuel it 😂
All the best, Rich. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic