rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ducati cam belts.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ducati cam belts.
    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 12:53
Anyone own or used to own a recent Ducati and replaced the cam belts?
I've got 2 on the way for the wifes '08 M696 and will be replacing the old ones in the near future.
I'm wondering about correct tensioning of the belts and have read about the acoustic tensioner apps you can get for smart phones. Any that have been used and you can recommend?
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 17:32
Hayes do an app which is meant for their belts but Ducati belts I think are made by Hayes anyway.  Most seem to get on fine with hz based apps but I read a couple of belt jumping stories so I always had them setup by an independent who used the Ducati laser based tool.  They said if you do it diy check it twice, so once at install and again after a 100 miles or so to verify it still tallies. 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 19:12
110 hz is the Ducati tension, I bought the texa tension tool to do my multistrada belts, there not as tight as you would think.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 19:20
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

10 hz is the Ducati tension, I bought the texa tension tool to do my multistrada belts, there not as tight as you would think.

I know you meant 100Hz Wink
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 19:23
Yep sorry, it’s still not as tight as you would think, takes a few attempts to get it right.
arran View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 08:35
I used to tension mine so that you could just twist the belt between the cams by a 1/4 of a turn.
Never had any belt issues. 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:45
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

have read about the acoustic tensioner apps you can get for smart phones. Any that have been used and you can recommend?

Sorry, I can't help as I've never had or worked on a Ducati but this interests me, how does it work?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 11:52
Numerous apps for it but you basically just flick the belt and it reads the vibrations from it which tells you the tension.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:14
Cheers Hemi, that's really clever, never heard of it before. How accurate is it and how much affected by technique, say the force used to flick the belt?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:24
I’ve found it pretty accurate, I just tried to give it consistent flicks for an average and didn’t try numerous pressure, the texa tool you hold about 25mm away from the belt and flick, found it a little fiddly adjusting the tension as you only had to turn the tensioner slightly to make a big difference to the reading.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:34
Cool, thanks. Something new learned today!
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 12:04
On my wife’s 696, i adjusted them so that you could just get an allen key size 5 between the roller, on the horisontal belt.
And nr 6 on the vertical belt, because this get’s hotter, a little looser. 
Top notch for over a year.
Shake'n bake
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 11:56
Thanks everyone, I aim to replace the belts soon.
I've read about the 5/6mm clearance and I've downloaded the Conti app onto my phone.
As a Ducati owners club member, the wife can loan the genuine Ducati tension tool as well, I've just found out. I think it's the same as your Texa Hemi.
I also decided to go with the California Cycleworks belts after reading all the info about them and the oem Ducati ones.
I may try to compare the genuine tool with the Conti app, then see if this relates to the 5/6mm gaps, although CCW advise 99-110Hz for both belts.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:21
Yes it’s the same tool, texa make it for Ducati but Ducati charge a lot more for it.
Mad Dog View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 20:56
A change in force on the belt will make no difference to the frequency only the amplitude. Think of it like a guitar string, it gets louder or quieter but the pitch doesn't alter.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 21:23
Originally posted by Mad Dog Mad Dog wrote:

A change in force on the belt will make no difference to the frequency only the amplitude. Think of it like a guitar string, it gets louder or quieter but the pitch doesn't alter.

Not convinced. How do you tune a guitar if altering the string tension doesn’t change the pitch. Any change in tone alters the frequency hence how the app works.  If it measured amplitude it would measure db not hz
Mad Dog View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 21:38
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Cheers Hemi, that's really clever, never heard of it before. How accurate is it and how much affected by technique, say the force used to flick the belt?

Yep you're right but I should have quoted this as it was the question I was answering.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 22:23
Originally posted by Mad Dog Mad Dog wrote:

Nice one  Thumbs Up  If I'd thought a bit more deeply I would have realised this  Embarrassed
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 19:31
Changed the belts today, couldn't be arsed waiting for the 'official' Ducti tool.
This job is so easy, I even decided to remove the front header to give myself more room.
I put the engine at TDC on the horizontal piston then marked the belts, cam drives and engine. Removed the belts, marked up the replacements and fitted them. 
Out of 3 apps I tried which use belt frequency, only one worked decently imo, called Spectroid.
I used this, but even so the difference in adjustment between a good setting and way out was very small. I doubled checked the frequency with the gap between the idler roller and the belt, mentioned in many Ducati forums (5mm H, 6mm V) and it pretty much agreed with the frequency.
Rotated the engine a few times prior to firing it up and all was good.

Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 19:57
Nice one Steve Thumbs Up

Got to do my 1098 in the next few weeks
Question everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic