rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Battery Thread - First week of April 2021 Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Thread - First week of April 2021 Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 09:45
Well said Owen, it ain't race. I wish I was younger and could afford to race. I used to think i and was biased towards racing.
My mate feels the same and he is a year older than me a bit quicker too, but he never stopped riding. 
I would not mind but we joined the circuit as a pair and he had a 2015 BMW SR haha šŸ˜‚.
I had a bad week and lost nearly half my track time, also Steve Brogan said I was going well till my spill šŸ˜‚ that was my best session, the lads came up to to me as I pulled in as I had won something, but they were pleased that I got it together before I went home. 
I guess he never liked it because he was half my age, plus the slipper clutch which made it back in sometimes. Totally different bike this time. 
We are going with a smaller group this time, loads of different bikes, so looking forward to it šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘

blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 15:29
I guess 5 days in Almeria doesn't cost you much more than a race weekend. You get much more track time and beers by the pool afterwards. I find euros more relaxing than even UK trackdays. The sun calms people down a bit, and you've got almost too much time on track so no need to go mad. 

Only time I had anything like that was going on a mate's GSXR 750. Came back in and some of the lads were saying I seemed to really get on with it and asking if I'm selling the Mille for a 750 ha. Was comfortably about 4 seconds a lap quicker on it without really trying to be fair.

Yeah slightly jealous. Haven't had a proper holiday in ages and last time on track was 2019. Nevermind COVID and Brexit, I've got a 2 year old and 1 month old ha. Bet you'll be loving it. Best to go with a small group too. First euro I did was just me and Mark. Second he'd broken his femur so I went out on my own. You do make friends in the garages and back at the bar but it's not as easy on your own with everyone else there almost in little stag party groups together. Just have to get talking to them and make friends with a few groups. 
Owen
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 17:24
Absolutely Owen, it is exactly what you say it is.
Bikes are developing at such a pace now, that even my R1 feels from another generation. The Aprilia it is more enjoyable to ride in certain ways.
They are making bikes that can go on track and road and do both well. But regardless it is always down to the rider. 
Race weekends are a lot of money, and the paddock don't look the same when we were racing. 
Different eras, different things. 
4 seconds on the 750, that's great šŸ‘, wonder what you would do on the R1 if we managed to squeeze you in there.
Covid has caused a big crash in the what the track bikes were worth, so they are not worth selling, the Aprilia I doubt i would ever consider it and the R1 is just not worth it. 
For my age, she's plenty quick, I miss riding the Aprilia on the road a lot. 
Well if my mate takes the Aprilia and the Ducati SP, I will have my hands full. I will make sure I complete my tuition this time. 
Steve kindly gave me five laps when he saw me on track and it was after that I thought what it could have been. 
My body is getting better, osteoporosis in the left hip, but the more I do the better it gets and I got my injection in the hip in a 10 days time. When that settles down, back on the mtb and get fit again. 
Good luck for this year Owen, let's hope our return to track is a good one šŸ‘
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 11:10
Yeah you too šŸ‘ Hope your body gets with the program soon too. 

In terms of bikes my attitude is that for just track days there's no need to get anything super quick. Gaining 4 seconds trying a different bike isn't the same as gaining 4 seconds on my bike. Not in terms of personal achievement anyway. The Mille is quick enough that you're not a danger on the straights, the brakes are decent with good feel and the chassis and suspension works well I think. It's also nice and easy to work on. I couldn't really ask for more. Might be different if it had crap suspension or a brake that came back to the bar after 2 laps. Only thing I'd really want to change is the weight of the thing. To me I think of light 2 strokes being racy. Regardless of power. The Mille is a bit of a sport tourer in that respect, weighing about 200kg. Though I've only just dropped beneath 100kg myself so I can't talk šŸ¤£

I got some distance coaching from Mike Edwards after Catalunya. Was £50 I think though it might normally be more like £75. That's also worth a look I think. Just having someone watch your riding who knows what they're talking about and give you one or two things to work on. Don't think I could justify £800 for a full day of 1 to 1. I know I wouldn't make the most of it anyway. Would rather pay £80 10 times with a few track days in between to practice what they're telling me to do. 

Not sure if I've already posted this before but this is the video Mike sent me back as an example of what you get:

And he sent me that a few days after I sent him this video. He only needs one decent lap with front facing but I gave him a few different angles in case he had anything to say about body position or something. Front is most important though and he can tell what you're doing with brakes and throttle just from watching and listening.

Owen
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 19:24
Just going to throw this into the mix.

Over on the Ducati forums, they often upgrade the reg/rec on older Ducatis to a Mosfet or modern one to when fitting lithium batteries. I'm not sure what reg/recs we have on Ape gen 1 and 2's as standard -as I know many are running lithiums with no problems

http://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/aprlia-rsv1000-sl1000-tuono-lithium-rectifier-regu.html

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Rectifier-Regulator-Lithium-Compatible-14_015

Question everything.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 08:58
That's interesting. To make absolutely certain they don't go too high on the voltage or something? 
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:31
Great spot Rick 

Yes Owen it will keep the max voltage below the batteries threshold 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 22:13
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

That's interesting. To make absolutely certain they don't go too high on the voltage or something? 

Yes prezactly that Owen.

It kind of makes sense when you think lithium batteries need specific chargers.

Question everything.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 22:43
Was always kind of my concern on the aprilia as 14.5volt is the bikes input and the lithiumā€™s max. Hence I didnā€™t fit one. I have however stuck one on the zx10r as the old one was toast and I didnā€™t even think to measure the DC voltage on that. 
A job for tomorrow now! 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 23:50
Iā€™ve been running them on my gen1 for over 10 years with no problems, shido ltx14bs first which has been swapped to my zx9r for about 3 years now, rsv has been running an ltx16 since and still no problem.
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 07:50
I too often wondered about the bikes charging the lithium but after about a year of obsessively checking if I've cooked it on every ride I stoped, and after 5 years same battery must be OK Confused but just goes to show you mite not be able to just chuck a lithium on any old bike and worth checking firstThumbs Up
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 14:27
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

Was always kind of my concern on the aprilia as 14.5volt is the bikes input and the lithiumā€™s max. Hence I didnā€™t fit one. I have however stuck one on the zx10r as the old one was toast and I didnā€™t even think to measure the DC voltage on that. 
A job for tomorrow now! 

i have a spare JMS 14 one i was thinking of putting it into the RSV4, what's your thought's mate?

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 16:24
Hi Jim 

I measured the zx10 and it goes to 14v max so Iā€™m good with that. 

The Tuono V4 could of had a lithium as an option but you needed an additional kit to fit to make it suitable. Plus aprilia wanted £300 fit it all. As far as I can find that additional kit was just a spacer to lift the battery. The latest RSV4 I believe comes already with a lithium fitted, so judging by that I would say go for it. 
I would however measure the DC volts going into the current one to be reassured. 
The boys above have had no issues thus far so if youā€™re planning to replace you may as well try one! 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 09:56
I don't think my Mille puts out more than 14.5V at any time. Obviously I can't check when riding flat out, but I think it's highest something around 4k rpm anyway. Sure, Lithiums don't like to go over 15V but I just thought a little bit either way isn't going to hurt too much. 

I thought it's more the fact they can't take the regeneration and quick charge voltages of some smart chargers. While you can try to defib a lead acid, doing so to a Lithium would kill it. 

Either way, at the relatively low cost of replacement batteries I reckon it's cheaper to see if your bike will kill it before spending out on the £150 reg rec. Could just be a frivolous waste of money afterall. Not that I'd accuse the Ducati lot of not being careful with their money. 
Owen
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:00
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

As far as I can find that additional kit was just a spacer to lift the battery. The latest RSV4 I believe comes already with a lithium fitted, so judging by that I would say go for it. 

That additional kit came free of charge with my Shido. Or if you don't have a couple duplo blocks to hand I'm sure you could fashion something. Bit of foam or polystyrene or anything really.
Owen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic