rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swing arm recall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swing arm recall
    Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 13:52
My swing arm as not been replaced, the bikes an import, apparently. How do I go about sorting this out? Anybody have a clue? This bike is the bane of my life. Owned the bike 4 years, ridden it 11 times and come home on a trailer 8 times. It been a journey. So any help would be much appreciated.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 15:17
You have to go via an aprilia dealer to make the request but there are 2 potential pitfalls I can envisage. 

1. Many dealers claimed for swing arms  to pocket the labour and sell the arm without ever informing the original owner. If it’s already been claimed for they are likely to refuse. 

2. Aprilia uk may not take responsibility for it as it’s an import and say you need to claim in the country of origin.  
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 15:17
Hi 
Assuming it’s an 04/05 bike as that’s the ones that had recall. 

I went to the dealer with details and confirmed the recall was not carried out. Aprilia had to make the swing arm as they had none available and it was all sorted for me painlessly.

Even though it’s a supposed import Aprilia still have responsibilities to have it changed as it’s a safety issue. Get in touch with a dealer and give them the vin. 
Was only a handful that had the issue but a recall is a recall 

As for the other issues dig around on here as they are very reliable once sorted. Early bikes can have charging or rather overcharge issues that can be expensive to sort however even then many bikes now suffering are up to 16 years old so I’d not say it’s that bad. 
Dirty clogged fuel filters again age related or poor set up, even faulty side stand switches can cause issue. But as before they aren’t new bikes and all of this is easy fixes. Seized suspension dog bones from lack of owner maintenance is common also. Gen 1 Gen2 and RSV4 variants are all as prone to that issue as much as any bike. 

If you haven’t met Griff the host of this site and owner of AP workshops then you need to as he will be able to sort anything for you and won’t needlessly spend your money. 

Have fun and get involved with the site 👌🏻
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
brierley4life View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 16:26
Spoke to dealer first. Not interested cos it's an import. Which I didn't know. The bikes 2003 gen2. The vin number isn't recognised, so it's apparently an import. Me thinks more like a prototype, cobbled together from left overs. Done the everything, from Stator to battery. Plus new main harness fuel pump, high pressure fuel line from throttle bodies to tank. Ignition switch harness, immobilizer, speedo pick up and there is something else I cann't think of. When I do ride it it's ace. Just remembered rear sets to sort out the rear brake. So any help.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 16:55
Tbf they actually were available late 2003 and Spoonz had one. 

I’d try another dealer. Whilst Spoonz is most likely correct about having it carried out in country of origin I’d contact Aprilia direct. 
Even if that’s a reputable dealer that’s a fob off in my book. They can at least make enquiries for you other than say vin isn’t recognised and not help you. Besides they are all imports really is my take. Just kidding I get Aprilia UK stance but if the dealer visually confirms it isn’t done then it isn’t done no matter what scrupulous dealers may of done in the past is not your fault, it’s the dealer and aprilias for mismanagement of the warranty. 

Or buy one yourself if it’s too much to make waves on. They are not too pricey if you have a keen eye or someone is breaking one. Personally I ran mine in a race series and just kept an eye on it till my warranty could be done. They would be unlikely to disintegrate in an instant and you can see the stress crack starting. But it’s your bike and safety not mine! 

www.apworkshops.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 17:12
Recall had two inserts and a crack would form at the lower weld up to the lower insert 

www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 17:35
Must be one the first made. And I'd agree. If it's a recall it doesn't matter where it went to first. I'd be happy to buy one and fit it myself. If they'd supply me an arm. I'd fit . I'll have a phone round tomorrow to other dealers.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 18:09
Mine was feb 04 build date but they were available sept 03. As well as the swing arm and clock issues the early bikes also had dodgy looms with poor CAN connections usually at the dash and a bad batch of clutch m/c. Mine escaped with just the bad swing arm, clocks and m/c x 3

I would seek confirmation with Aprilia hq ( uk and Italy ) on the status. Aprilia used to pay terrible rates for warranty work so many dealers are not keen on work they can avoid so may just say no out of hand without even asking Aprilia. But this far down the road any fix is likely to rely on goodwill from Aprilia as much as anything else. 
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 01:08
What was wrong with clutch M/C and dash?
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 08:58
Dash will re set the mileage if you disconnect the battery with the key in the ignition, clutch master cylinder leaks . I've had several early Gen2s and they've all had the above issues . My very first was a similar age to yours and hadn't had the recall swingarm although it had been claimed for. I gave up trying to get a replacement and bought a good second hand one they are usually around around £100 depending on the condition. One of my previous bikes did have the crack and I wouldn't want to risk it personally although as James says it's not going to snap in half straight away but it would play on my mind. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:29
My gen2 had a cracked swinger and I felt it but was unaware of what it was. I was touring in Spain and on the last day it felt like I had a deflating tyre on bumpy roads so I kept stopping and checking. In the end my mates convinced me it was in my head. When I got home I took the rear wheel out for cleaning and discovered a crack that went 2/3 of the way up the inside of the swing arm and the crack would visibly open and close with load on the bike. I don’t think it was far from total failure. 

If you can’t get a replacement then inspect it often as I’m as sure as I can be that the crack went from nothing visible to almost failure of the arm in that 5 day tour.  

Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 22:33
Cheers to the both of you. The clock thing happens to mine. Currently only don e 250 miles in like 18 year. What the f**k??? Really about 10k in total adding all the past MOT's up. M/C has no leaks as yet. Checked the swing arm the otherday, to see if it had been done, no crack as yet. And will have a look for a good second hand arm.
cheesy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
top chef!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 17:56
I may have a used or  brand new Swingarm coming for sale soon.
Just decided what I'm doing
04 Tuono Fighter
1060 gen2 motor & some....
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:17
Cheers pal. I've see a new one on Evilbay. But I'm in the same mind, I want to track the bike. As it's a real pain in the arse, breaks down for fun. So cann't trust the thing. Break the arm then replace it. Or replace it and sell the bike. I love the bike but it hates me. What to do?
cheesy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
top chef!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 18:45
There great bikes, sometimes they've had a few niggles from previous ownershios, but if you find the basics out about them & any things to check/change shoukd be trouble free really.

Ive owned gen1 rsv from 05 - 10 faultless in that time, was used on road, track & touring. 

Then 12 to present gen1 tuono no dramas

Building a gen2 tuono, running gen1 electrics & custom loom, gen2 motor 
04 Tuono Fighter
1060 gen2 motor & some....
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 19:05
Done about 100 miles in 4 rides and it's been fine. A good 40 miles today with no drama. Need to sort some good tyres now. So suggestion are very welcome.I have a list in mind. I guess the suspension bearing are high up on the list. If I do the bearing, can I replace the arm later. Or do I do them at the same time?  Where is a good place ro get my tune sorted on bike, as it has no airbox and end cans. Which I've fitted. Bike was standard when I got it.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 19:17
Ap workshops every time for tune. 

They will confirm it’s on map 2 and balance the throttle bodies. 

Griff who owns the shop hosts this site. You will not find better 👍🏻
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brierley4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 03:00
After lockdown then, if the bike will make it.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 05:39
I hope you guys will, be rid of the virus and get back to normal soon. We have been a covid free country now, for some time. Due to being such a small population. My thoughts are with you guys.Heart
Shake'n bake
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic