rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cranks slowly wont start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cranks slowly wont start
    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 10:39
right still having problems i have uprated the battery leads and a new lithium battery still cranks slowly and wont start but it will start straight away with a jump starter pack witch indicates to me that there is no dodgy connections. i have checked it with a multimeter and it reads 12.8 not running and 13.3 when i get it running with the jump pack. one strange thing i have noticed is as you probably no lithium batterys have a charge indicator on them 3 lights. with the ignition of all 3 lights are lit indicating its fully charged when i turn the ignition on it drops down to 1 light indicating a flat battery but with the 1 light it still reads 12.8 v now if i turn the ignition back off and wait 20 seconds you can hear a click and the 3 lights come back on still wont start. whats baffling me is why it starts with a starter pack. i realy love this bike power handling quirky looks but my patience is wearing a bit thin this is the last roll of the dice i think. any suggestions would be great.     
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:45
You say when the bike is running battery voltage is 13.3v which to me seems low; is this at idle? That's about the same voltage I had when I checked my Gen 1 Tuono charging voltage. I replaced the rec/reg with a mosfet item from a Honda Fireblade and now get about 14v at idle and over 14v at 4K revs. What is your battery charge voltage at 4K revs?
Have you tried starting the motor by shorting out the battery to starter motor connections at the starter solenoid, what effect does this have?
Have you checked your earth leads for good connections/corrosion?

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:52
The standing voltage of a batt doesn’t really tell you a lot. It’s what the batt voltage does when your cranking that matters.  If it drops below about 11.5 you won’t get a strong enough spark to fire regardless of the cranking speed. 

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 12:29
As Spoonz says 

You need to measure the battery as you press start to see if the battery drops voltage dramatically or not. I wasn’t aware below 11.5 volt at cranking it wouldn’t initiate a spark, so that’s top info. 

Can’t recall Bob but have you had lithium battery issue prior to this or is it all new? 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 14:00
yes thats at idle goes up to about 13.9 when revved
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 14:00
You’ve uprated the leads and battery, have you put the bigger solenoid on?
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

As Spoonz says 

You need to measure the battery as you press start to see if the battery drops voltage dramatically or not. I wasn’t aware below 11.5 volt at cranking it wouldn’t initiate a spark, so that’s top info. 

Can’t recall Bob but have you had lithium battery issue prior to this or is it all new? 
it wont crank long enough to get a reading it barelly turns over
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 15:17
Originally posted by Bob1 Bob1 wrote:

As Spoonz says 

it wont crank long enough to get a reading it barelly turns over

Disconnect the lithium batt completely and connect the jump leads directly between the bike batt connections and the jump source battery. If it turns over fine your lithium batt is the source of your issue. If it’s still slow it’s elsewhere.

My money is on the batt. I’m not up to speed on lithium batts but aren’t you supposed to wake them for a few minutes via a load ( lights etc) before cranking. 

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 15:23

As Spoonz says 

You will get a spark just not enough of one to fire a cold motor. If you get efi on the dash during cranking then you will likely get no spark at all as the batt has dropped low enough that even the fuel pump cannot maintain fuel pressure.
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 15:26
Hi Bob I have had same problems with a lithium battery . I have bought a new lead acid from AP Workshop and no longer a problem it starts straight away.Mine would start no problem with the starter pack on the lithium battery but without in the cold weather it’s not up to the job, it was fine last summer when the bike was in regular use. I did take the bike to Griff last year around this time with this problem and he put the starter pack on it and it fired up straight away,he said nothing wrong with that apart from not enough in the battery to kick it into life.
Bob1 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 19:22
bit of an update swapped the battery for another lithium from my R1 exactly the same wont start so i done what spoonz said fired up straight away so i got the battery that came with the bike (lead acid) been in the shed since the begining of summer checked it holding a decent charge put it on started straight away. so exactly the same problem as nickB been alright during the summer when used regulaly just ordered the uprated lead acid battery from ap so im in love with the bike again thanks for the replies roll on the summerSmile
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 20:46
As Spoonz said, did you wake up the lithium first, put the lights on for about 30 secs appears to be the way to go.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic