rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil tank hose to engine oil mist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lijam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil tank hose to engine oil mist
    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:37
Hello to you all... Im having a problem with the oil pipe which runs from the bottom of the oil tank to the engine. it always has oil mist on the pipe where it connects to the tank and seems to spread onto the inner fairing panel its not a bad leak just that after a ride for a few hours its there again after i cleaned it before i went out. The hose clemp is the jubilee clip type which was on when i bought the bike i have fitted a new one at the last oil change and i cut about 10mm off the end of the pipe that looked chewed up. Any advice please.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 12:35
Look at the back of the tank itself. They are prone to stress cracks or pin holes.  The air blast at speed may be blowing it onto the pipe.  It’s always pods that the pipe itself has become porous with age. 
Lijam View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lijam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 13:00
Thanks for quick reply spoonz will check that on the tank the pipe is original whats best to replace it with do i need to use original part or find right diameter hose.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 17:06
Originally posted by Lijam Lijam wrote:

Thanks for quick reply spoonz will check that on the tank the pipe is original whats best to replace it with do i need to use original part or find right diameter hose.

I don’t know the price of the oem hose but it’s nothing special as it’s on the low pressure side so if it’s expensive just get a length from an auto parts supplier suitable for oil lines. 
Lijam View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lijam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 17:22
Thanks again... will do that i will take it off and the spigot with the filter on and get the right diameter pipe.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:41
I think they're about £15-20 quid. I had a slight leak from tank end of the pipe a few years back and ordered a new pipe. Like you I cut about 10mm off the end and it sealed up, so I've kept the new one as a spare. The pipe has a couple of sharp bends in it though and the oem one is shaped to preserve the inner bore diameter through these bends. If you use an alternative  be careful the pipe doesn't crease and restrict oil flow.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Lijam View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lijam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 12:10
Thanks for that stevex...i think the old jubilee clip could be the problem it was on when i bought the bike and i reused it after an oil change this summer...Ive ordered some better type clips they say you should use the standard clip but you need a tool too clamp it.
BRG View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 16:16
Hi Lijam,

Another possible cause for oil collecting on this pipe is a leak from the neutral switch, just above it. This happened to me this year and is easily rectified by using some sealant around the switch.

Have a read of this: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?362612-Neutral-switch-leak

BTW, I always use the OEM Clic® clips. They're designed to fit the application, and, with the correct tool (from e.g. Halfords) are quick and easy to install. They're always installed at the correct tension - you can't over- or under-tighten them.

HTH
BRG
https://c9932541.myzen.co.uk/brgw/
'05 Ducati MTS 1000S DS 'Neppomuk' "[...] a nugget of purest green"
'06 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory 'Nibelung'
ajaycad View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajaycad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 18:57
Ultimate Parts have 1 pipe in stock...AP8144090 is the part number. £29.57 excluding VAT !!!
Also agree with BRG, I'd use the Clic clamps rather than jubilee clips - I paid under a fiver for the tool from the Bay, much easier than using pliers !!
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 21:40
When I repaired my oil pipe I used Mikalor self clamping spring clips.
Still dry after 2 years, re usable and no special tools required.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Lijam View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lijam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 14:24
OK Thanks for the advice on the oil pipe ive gone with the mikalor clamp will fit it when weather warms a bitBeer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic