rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Racing Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tyre question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tyre question
    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 16:38
ive been given a pair of pirelli diablo rossoII the rear is in decent condition but the top of the tyre has a flat spot, can i use this for the track or should i bin it ?
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 17:00
apologies what i meant to say was there is a flat spot around the whole circumference of the tyre where the bike has been predominantly ridden up right 
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 17:06
How does it feel on the road? Should be fine from a safety point of view if you're not super quick. Just wouldn't feel very nice tipping in. Or might not even be that noticeable. If you're happy with it on the road I'd say you will be fine.
Owen
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 17:24
they're not fitted yet, my rsv is at rack bike and i don't ride on the road, so i guess they wont be great on the track then ?
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 18:09
Would have to chance it I guess. I've ridden a fairly squared rear, though it was a fairly mellow, touring shape anyway. So it wasn't obvious. What's the rest of the profile like? If its really steep but then just flat on the top then it'd probably feel terrible. The one I had I could barely feel it, despite looking bad. 
Owen
Colly View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 18:21
If your a quick rider,bin them,put some slicks on,the difference is unbelievable,you will love them,super grippy,safety first 😃👍
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 18:52
thanks for that, there is already slicks on the bike with a few mill on them .....dunlop gp racers, although the front is dated 2012 rear 2018 , i think im quick ?! my last track day at llandow the instructor says i rode the wheels off my gixxer 600 which was all stock, riding the millie with all its upgrades will be different i guess
Colly View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:07
Front might be a bit old,you need tyre warmers with slicks,i go fast straight from the off,to keep the heat in the tyres,you will love cadwell its a boss track,like a rollercoaster when your going fast,wheelies over mountain come easy on the rsv's 😃👍
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:09
Would leave the gp racers on personally. Those Rosso corsa will be a fair step down. 2012 is on the old side though. Could maybe look out for a scrub front. Keep seeing 120 superbike slicks going cheap on ebay. 
Owen
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:10
https://app.photobucket.com/u/nation12/p/e31494b5-d140-462e-9126-9ba0c90c76db

here is the pictures of the tyres, managed to finally upload one hopefully 
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:12
yeah I've purchase some tyre warmers, I cant wait to get out on it and feel the difference from my stocker gixxer 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:19
I'd probably ride that to be honest. Got worse flat spot than that on mine and it's on the side too. Where it matters more than the top. Look at the top right of this.

Just at the top like your rossos, it'll just feel weird when first tipping in. Or might, might not be noticeable. But then be fine once tipped in. And they've got loads left on them don't they. 

Wouldn't be a bad choice if it's cold and damp either. If you're decent in fast group they might start getting greasy by the end of the session though.
Owen
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:22
Originally posted by nation nation wrote:

yeah I've purchase some tyre warmers, I cant wait to get out on it and feel the difference from my stocker gixxer 

You got a superstock gsxr? What year? Might be a bit disappointed in the RSV. Be down a lot of power and on the heavy side compared. I love my RSV but it won't compare to any GSXR 1000 I don't think, even stock. Not in outright performance anyway. 
Owen
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:26
ha ha thats the novice in me ! i meant to say my stock  (basic no modification) gixxer 600 k1, Im only novice group though, but cadwell will be my 5th track day so i guess im knocking on the door of the inters group.

Are slicks ok to use on cold dry tracks then ?
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:33
Yeah just seen your other post ha. Yeah, ex golden era RSV will be much better than a K1 600. Though completely different to ride. Will have to be steady on the throttle, rolling off it I mean. Hellish amounts of engine braking compared to your 600. I liken the throttle on the mille to those scalectrix triggers, roll on and instant response, roll off and instantly slows. 

For that reason I find it better to keep it in a higher gear than you might think you want coming from the 600. I resisted that for a while, thinking that was just people being lazy. But really, a gear on the higher side smooths off the throttle a bit mid corner and also helps you carry speed through. Before that I was screaming in but as I let go of the brakes I found myself getting sucked into the inside by all the engine braking. In a higher gear it would run on better and flow through. Though if I was super confident I could just enter that much faster so that the engine braking brings me back on line.. 

Other thing is rear end hopping about on the brakes. Don't know if yours has an aftermarket slipper but without you'll just get used to the back tyre skipping. Can reduce it a bit by leaving downshifts a bit later so revs aren't so high. Also keeping a good 10-15mm static sag on the shock so that when the front dives the rear can still contact the ground a bit more.
Owen
nation View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:38
ive got a sigma slipper clutch fitted, i was hoping to get someone to help me with suspension set up at cadwell but looking into it i dont think there is anyone available on my track day, last few track days have been with loose cannon track days and jimmy tried to help me on the gixxer but the front forks were not playing ball needed a good service and upgraded springs but its sold on now any ways 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 19:38
Originally posted by nation nation wrote:

ha ha thats the novice in me ! i meant to say my stock  (basic no modification) gixxer 600 k1, Im only novice group though, but cadwell will be my 5th track day so i guess im knocking on the door of the inters group.

Are slicks ok to use on cold dry tracks then ?

The GP racers probably would be. I don't know to be honest, never used them. If you're not super quick then they'll probably cool down to your pace. But then they'd just be as warm as they need to be to generate the grip you're asking for. I've never run warmers myself and find really when they are cold it tends to do more damage to the tyre wear than it does to the feeling of grip. From cold my compks feel fine after a straight or 2, then start really coming to me by the time I'm hitting first corner for the second time. 

Sound to be similar pace to me. I've done 5 days in the UK and felt on the last time out I really should have been in inters. Was 1:57 last time at Cadwell and really the novice group is mainly 2m5 to 2m25. Felt like an arse anyway.
Owen
Drew26 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 12:40
Bit late to the party but wanted to just say I used Rosso 2's for my first 'trackday season' and can say they are a good starter tyre indeed (mine were not flat at the top mind!). They warm up quickly and offer lots of grip, sufficient for top end Inters (probably more but that's as far as  I got)

Has anyone used V02's on the mille gen1, or if not, what size slicks fit as I'm conscious of the renowned tyre clearance issues. Hopefully will help OP if  they want to use slicks in future too ?

This was Oulton on Rosso 2's my first time there and braking too early but the rosso 2 gave good confidence really https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khiuW9CG9qs
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 14:12
Not the V02s but I've used 180/60 compk and they measure up to about 187mm wide. They fit fine width wise. I did remove that plastic chain guard on the top a while back though as it didn't seem to have a function and made it harder to clean the chain. Would imagine it would still fit if you have that on though. 

Plenty of room against back of swingarm too, though I dropped 2 teeth at the front on the stock chain which would give a bit more space. I also removed the rear hugger for a similar reason to the chain thing. I think the hugger would hit before the swingarm but people solve that by putting shims under the hugger.

I think the 180/655 V02 are likely to be closer to 180mm than the Pirelli/Metzelers so don't see why they shouldn't work. Nice footage by the way, really good pace for your first year on track!
Owen
Drew26 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 14:37
That's really helpful info thankyou Thumbs Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic