rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > V4 Tuono > V4 Tuono.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V4 Tuono GP shift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V4 Tuono GP shift
    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 12:00

Hi all 

As some of you may be aware I’ve always converted my road bikes to GP shift. On the Gen1 and all the Gen2’s I had used AP rearsets to achieve this.
With the new Tuono I wanted something to look standard fitment this time around. It’s not a case of just flipping the arm as it has both a quickshifter and autoblipper so you must replace the arm itself to allow functionality. 
Aprilia do the arm to mount to standard rearsets however it’s £270 for the arm alone. Fortunately Griff has an arm that’s very similar cosmetically to the Flyhammer version. 

Made a few tweeks namely the toe peg away from the nylon one supplied with In the attempt to make it look oe 

What’s your thoughts ? 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 13:55
Very slick, seriously considering going gp on mine mate
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 14:26
On both Triumph and Kwak Adam? 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 15:27
Seeing the pictures together there, is it a smaller reach from rearset to toe peg with the new lever?

It's a good looking setup I think. 
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 15:43
Hi Owen 

The angle on the pic does make it look a bit further but to marry up where the other peg was exactly, it would need to move to the upper left hole (of the flower arrangement we discussed) I’ve tried with trainers and it’s about right where it is currently, but I will try with boots when I test ride it properly. Tbf id not set the oe pegs anyway and I only just noticed they were at the furthest point when I was comparing ahead of fitting today. 

I’d fine tuned the brake and clutch as they were way too high and I’d have to twist my wrist up to brake or use the clutch. Laziness on my part with toe pegs. I’ve not even used the rear brake yet 😂
www.apworkshops.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 16:34
Looking good Clap   Unless you really know Aprilias I doubt anyone would notice anything different
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 16:48
Thank you Adam/Owen and Ian 

I’m chuffed with it I must admit 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 16:49
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

Hi Owen 

The angle on the pic does make it look a bit further but to marry up where the other peg was exactly, it would need to move to the upper left hole (of the flower arrangement we discussed) I’ve tried with trainers and it’s about right where it is currently, but I will try with boots when I test ride it properly. Tbf id not set the oe pegs anyway and I only just noticed they were at the furthest point when I was comparing ahead of fitting today. 

I’d fine tuned the brake and clutch as they were way too high and I’d have to twist my wrist up to brake or use the clutch. Laziness on my part with toe pegs. I’ve not even used the rear brake yet 😂

Ah OK, might just be the camera angle then. If the upper left is more or less the same as how the OE one is then they're about the same size. 

I'm sort of the same with the gear lever. So long as its not miles out I don't notice. Have to move my foot to reach it anyway. But levers on the bars, if they're not right it's basically unrideable. 

Though I mostly ride on the balls of my feet, which I hear is a dated technique these days. I've seen Troy Corser at least saying these days you want heels on the pegs to both allow your legs to better absorb bumps and also minimise movement going to gear or brake lever. Then only go to toe or ball of foot with inside leg when cornering. If I rode like that I imagine getting the gear and rear brake lever in the right place would be more important. Though I'd also have to learn how to coordinate the rear brake then too LOL
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 17:01
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

Hi Owen 

Ah OK, might just be the camera angle then. If the upper left is more or less the same as how the OE one is then they're about the same size. 

I'm sort of the same with the gear lever. So long as its not miles out I don't notice. Have to move my foot to reach it anyway. But levers on the bars, if they're not right it's basically unrideable. 

Though I mostly ride on the balls of my feet, which I hear is a dated technique these days. I've seen Troy Corser at least saying these days you want heels on the pegs to both allow your legs to better absorb bumps and also minimise movement going to gear or brake lever. Then only go to toe or ball of foot with inside leg when cornering. If I rode like that I imagine getting the gear and rear brake lever in the right place would be more important. Though I'd also have to learn how to coordinate the rear brake then too LOL

That’s interesting Owen. I like you have always ridden on the balls of my feet. 

I will try Corser’s technique next track day 

I’d recently watched a road rider saying similar and to lock your heel on the outside peg and ball on inside peg of the bend. I’d of always been ball on both my feet. May explain why I can’t rear trail brake like so many now talk of  😅😅
www.apworkshops.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 17:37
I've always felt right riding on the balls of my feet Confused  doesn't seem to matter where the pegs are it just seems safer somehow.

I did find it far harder to change gear using the r/sets though and I'm now thinking it was due to my boot soles dragging on the knurling rather than sliding over the OE kit.

I've seen people riding using their instep with their toes pointed at the tarmac and it always makes me feel sick for some reason.

Having managed to wipe my left boot off the rest at Jerez while I was knee down enjoying myself without conscious thought I can report I was well awake for turn 5 and have no wish to do it again,it was the nearest I've got to getting an elbow down without falling off Embarrassed
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 18:01
Looks OEM James I like it Thumbs Up as far as good foot position goes I'm of the " up on the balls of feet" school too and naturally always go that way unless I'm riding a more relaxed bike but I have to consciously move my feet from the normal position. 

Yes mate only because I'm getting more and more into track riding and totally see the benefits but if I have road on the 675 and gp on the kwacka it will twist my head up has to be both or neither, I've actually done more miles on track than the road this year but the lockdown was a major factor in that. 
I'll have to switch the XJR as well if that's even possible without ruining the original look my father in law would kill me if I start modding itLOL
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 17:09
Have you had a chance to test this James? Looks to be a positive shift based on the angles of the shift arms.

Came across that Troy Corser thing I was on about where he talks about using your instep or heels as a base point. Sound is bad to start but they swap mics after a few minutes and it improves.

Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 18:01
Hi Owen

Yes tried and tested! 
 I have moved the toe peg to its top left hole and had to raise it as my foot in my boots seemed vertical when I attempted to change which I didn’t have in trainers naturally. Now it’s to the point I’m happy and it shifts perfectly. 
The down wars upshifts are really easy swift and the up downshifts are crisp and get a good bark from the pipe 

So yes it is awesome. Will have a good look and study at the video thank you 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 18:29
Ah good to hear. Bet shifts are really smooth too with the qs and blipper. 
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 16:23
Awesome ride out on this thing

It’s ballistic wheelies out of bends even with AWC on level 2 

Fitted some lovely Bonamici parts with keyless fuel cap, clutch and brake lever 
Oh and took off those ugly reflectors 

www.apworkshops.co.uk
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 16:49
Mate that is lovely looking bet it's a beast always fancied an rf but just don't think I need it lolThumbs Up
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 18:02
It is a tasty looking bike Thumbs Up good to hear the electronics aren't overly aggressive. Does the qs and auto blip work well when riding casually or do you need to be riding hard to make the shifts smooth? 
Owen
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 20:02
You can feel the electronics do their bit if pushing but then I didn’t wind them back from the standard ‘Race’ setting. But certainly over crests or on lower the lights would flash here and there letting me know not to be excited 😆 

But as far as shifting it is perfectly happy to shift Smoothly without fuss. The auto blipper gives a good pop which makes you want to do it more so. 

It certainly gets looked at. Was at a set of temporary lights and three bikers were already there. Wanted me to go in front so they could hear it. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 20:30
Ha yeah I think the aprilia v4 is still the best sounding of the current superbikes. 
Owen
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 07:25
HahaLOLI bet it sounds awsome and agree probably the best sounding bike out there Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic