rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chain length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camngetit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain length
    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 23:17
Standard chain length on gen1 is 108 is it the same if it runs 16 44
its twins for me !!!!
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 23:36
108 might fit if you have the rear wheel right forward but likely will be tight. Mine has 110 
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 03:01
you can turn the axle round so the flat ends the bolts but up to face back
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:10
Surely if your axle is so far forward you have to do that, the tyre would be rubbing against the back of the swingarm? 
Owen
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:19
Have heard of this being done, so tried and tested I guess , think when changing rear sprocket to much larger one it's done also ?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:41
I run a 60 profile tyre and with the axle fully forward the tyre just clears the arm so I run a 110 chain to pull the axle back for extra tyre clearance so a 55 should be no problem.
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:43
Next chain I'd like to go longer and get towards the back of the dropouts with the axle. Give lots of flexibility for what tyres would fit then, and get the weight bias a little further to the front.

If you don't want to change the stock chain you can get near enough the same ratio as 16/44 by just dropping to a 15t at the front (15/42). That'll give you a touch more chain length too.
Owen
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:45
Should add I ran 16/44 on a 108 chain no problem only went 110 when changed to a 60 profile.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:07
I ran 108 on 16/44. With a new chain you have to turn the axle adjusters round as constant says, which I did. After the chain has stretched a bit you can turn them back.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 13:52
Just to be pedantic,chain don't 'stretch' they WEAR Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 17:54
You're right Ian...

...you are being pedantic Smile
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 18:44
LOL    Clap

And I've just had a shock when I degreased my sprockets and had a closer look at my chain.

The chain itself was nice and felt like new when moving the links,however on checking the rollers themselves they were all bouncing around loose as you like and had loads of clearance both radially and to the side plates so all the grease must have gone long ago Shocked

Looks like my wanting a nice gold chain is about to come true then,also the front sprocket was wearing on one side of the teeth so I might as well get the full set while I'm at it.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 20:35
Come on it’s us here, you just want shiny bling and it’s ok we’ve all got very similar problems as well 😏
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 21:28
     Alright,I admit it LOL

But I did think I'd got away with it until I happened to rotate one of the rollers and it rattled around with muchos play,unfortunately all the others did too Cry

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 21:32

Go for it Ian.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 21:47
That's the same as my old Sv thou Big smile

Don't think I'll bother with the SuperSprox this time though,have to make some economies somewhere

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 22:53
Well, the supersprox should last much longer given the steel outer ring so that would be an economical investment!  Big smile

I know there were problems reported with the integrity of the joining of the inner and outer but also heard that they had overcome that. Anyone know the recent situation with this?

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 23:08
My gixxer 1000 had one fitted when I bought it and had been on for years and thousands of miles.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 23:16
I never had any problems with mine but quite a few people on the SV Portal had issues with eccentricity and not being able to tension the chain properly
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 23:31
Now you mention it Ian, I think that's what I was remembering not the joint integrity.

It seems a nice compromise solution to high(er) mileage road bikes but still with a weight saving. Racing of course, an all aly one is always the way to go.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 18:29
So much for willpower, 42T SuperSprox incoming Embarrassed

Well,that pic just looked so nice LOL

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 20:54
That pics from my old Racing. Like a prat I sold it. 
Big regret.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 21:47
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

So much for willpower, 42T SuperSprox incoming Embarrassed

Well,that pic just looked so nice LOL

I'm sure you will check it for eccentricity so let us know the results.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 11:44
Too much gold???
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 12:36
No such thing as TOO much gold
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic