rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken down
    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 16:27
Bike just cut out showing ecu on dash?any ideas thanks 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 16:32
Gen1 or 2 ? 

Did it just not start or cut out whilst riding? Been misbehaving before hand? 
Recovery on its way? 
Could be a few things. Look at usual stuff like the ignition pick up wire still attached or the side stand switch where it joins as they split with age very easily 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 18:05
Mate on the way with a van luckily not too far from home.The side stand cable is a bit worn and can’t hear the fuel pump priming.The killswitch cable also possibly rubbing under the tank.ECU unplugged on the dash has been on and off a few times with an ecu connection wiggle and or a side stand cable wiggle as well as killswitch on off and cable wiggle so still a roadside mystery.Thanks Wiggins 👍any other suggestions more than welcome 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 18:57
Ecu error means no comms between dash and ecu. Either ecu is losing power or there is a bad connection between it and the dash. Check the 30amp fuses for corrosion and the connector that feeds from the ignition switch into the main loom near the headstock. 
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 20:53
Cheers Spoonz will check that out thanks 👍
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 08:56
It’s a problem where the wires exit the ignition switch they seem to be loose I can wiggle them and get rid of ecu disconnected on the dash but it didn’t start.Is it reasonably straight forward to take apart? Thanks 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 09:20
Do you mean they wiggle in the block connector? 

Not that I can be sure which ones you mean I’d use heat shrink butt connectors and connect or hardwire them that way 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 09:36
Hi Wiggins the wire from the bottom of the ignition barrel that is loose not connected properly 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:17
So where it comes off the barrel itself ? 
I’d need to go look at my bikes to get the picture in my head aorry dude. 
Spoonz is more the man for this. 
In my head either get a new barrel and key etc and Adam badapple I believe can assist there, with a second hand unit for a Gen2 with fuel cap and seat lock if required. Or unless it’s the ring gear pick up wire for the immobiliser?  but then I’d either resolder the joint or bypass the immobiliser itself. You can make these keyless not that I’d do that with a road bike naturally but it’s doable.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 10:30
It will likely be internal to the ignition switch. If your careful you can remove the base of the switch where the contacts are. They may be worn out but could equally just be dirty and gritty from road dirt.  If it’s beyond repair just replace the base from another switch so you can keep the same key. 

The immobiliser doesn’t form part of the can bus so even when faulty it won’t pull the ecu comms down. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 11:07
Possibly a wire broken off the switch base,it happened to my Tuono.

Due to the way they twisted all the wires in the harness before soldering the switch it's possible for one or more to be under considerable tension when flexed round the headstock while the others are relaxed.

I straightened all the wires in the sub harness and re wrapped them flat before re soldering.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:04
In no particular order spoonz Wiggins and Ian thanks for your help 👍I have got the ignition barrel out after cutting a security bolt and found one of the wires in the base needs resoldering,glad this didn’t happen while riding at any speed it just happened as I was pulling away from garage. Thanks again for all the help and advice .Its been said before but this is a really great forum with blokes who know their stuff and are prepared to share their knowledge and give their time as well.Top Blokes!Clap
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 12:14
It’s the only place I fully enjoy Nick 

Glad between us we sorted you out. Looking forward to hearing how you get on 

As an aside maybe grab a wedge of pictures as a few are getting issues and it could be a useful sticky thread 

Have fun 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 14:02
Glad you found it,those security screws are a pita to get undone aren't they?   Can't remember whether I replaced mine with a cap hd or just slotted the old unit.

Was the broken wire still near the terminal? On mine when it came undone (yellow) it pulled about 20 mm back up the harness as it relaxed and I had to untangle it all from the next plug up to get them all the same length again to re solder.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 22:23
Sorry didn’t take any pictures,it was a right pain to get at cut through the spacer and the security bolt(luckily only one)then it was easy to see the yellow and white wire had broken the solder connection 
same as Ian had on his Tuono 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 23:56
Same wire Confused  That's pushing coincidence a bit Shocked

In my harness that wire was almost braided through the others and so ended up way shorter than the rest and I'm certain it was just as built and the harness hadn't been touched.

It was inevitable it was going to break off under repeated loads given the tension it was under at full steering lock.

Perhaps the issue could be more widespread?

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 06:51
My wires were visible because the rubber sleeve cover had been pulled back somehow over time .They are all covered now and zip tied so fingers crossed no more problems 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 07:16
Glad to hear you got it sorted Nick with a bit of help from the fellas above. Everyone likes a happy ending Clap
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 20:12
Hmmm not so happy yet didn’t get around to starting it yesterday and left the battery to charge.It spins over nicely,the fuel pump primes and no fault shows on the dash but it doesn’t fire up,any suggestions Gents?
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 20:15
Any luck with starting the bike?
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 20:34
Hi snowman,unfortunately no it hasn’t started I have checked for a spark on the rear cylinder which was good.Do I need to check the front as well? I assume it would fire on one cylinder but not run very well so do I need to do the front?Also got to check there is fuel getting through.It was running fine before it cut out so I would think spark and fuel supply is ok 
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 21:49
Evening Gentlemen,after much messing bike has started (hooray) I took the connector from ignition barrel apart and there was one pin that looked dirty so sprayed with contact cleaner,Also took the tip switch connector apart with the ignition on which put SERVICE on the dash.Sprayed with cleaner and reconnected.Is it possible that the tip switch needed resetting after ECU disconnect showed on the dash?Any thoughts?Need to give it a few rides before Aprilia day at Donnington next week 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 22:14
Your pump was priming so not tip over related.  
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 22:20
Ok thanks Spoonz must have got lucky with contact cleaner and connectors.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 08:53
Good to hear it’s fixed, out on mine last night to bike/pub do between Romsey and Andover ( Kingsomborne) about 30+ bikes and about 30 scooters , thank god it wasn’t the seventies Tongue, Gen1 Tuono turned up but he left before I could speak to him , the bike had a short can on ?? Enjoy your ride/ track day .
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 10:34
Thanks snowman,thankfully we are more accepting all two wheelers together.Mine is aGen2 and based in the Worcester area,will definitely enjoy Donnington 👍
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 10:59
Gen 2 Factory Tuono 09 reg in my custody Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic