FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire test/review for the fun of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire test/review for the fun of it
    Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:32
Took the bike for a spin, the other day. 
+2degrees Celcius. And the tyres still hold theyr own. 
Good grip, even at good lean . Was 1,5degrees. When i got home.
Love good cheap tyres, and in the same sentence.๐Ÿ˜
Shake'n bake
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 08:27
Cowboy fitting  - cheap cheerful and your'e coming to a find a ditch soon.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Ice-mille Ice-mille wrote:

But holy smokes, no protection for the rim, in the video. Ouch

And look at the state of the rims!  Unhappy
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 23:08
No worries.
Just talk tires all you want...
LOL

But holy smokes, no protection for the rim, in the video. Ouch
Shake'n bake
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 18:15
That was my thought when I realised,and I hated that tyre anyway so sod it,time for a change Big smile

Since my off I've never trusted it on track and now I'm doubtful for road use as I think they went back to a more conventional profile on the later SportSmarts.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 17:57
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Depending on where you've kept them I'd say 7 and 4 years are fine. I mean you could buy them 10 years old and they have a few years after that. Of course, if they've been left outside in the sun the life will drop off drastically. 

I'd happily use a 4 year old tyre but at 7 it's getting past my comfort zone. But who would buy 10 year old tyres as "New". Absolutely never for a bike.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 17:42

Depending on where you've kept them I'd say 7 and 4 years are fine. I mean you could buy them 10 years old and they have a few years after that. Of course, if they've been left outside in the sun the life will drop off drastically. 

Front was dismounted after about 6 months I think and kept in a cool,dark garage until 3 years ago,then it was repurposed with a new rear when I aquired the Tuono.

Since then been mounted but done less than 500 miles a year and been kept on paddock stands in the same garage and just head the pressure topped up whenever I rode.

TBH I hate the front SportSmart 2 skinny narrow profile,the rounded sidewall is actually slightly narrower than the rim width.  That's what caused my Donnington lowside  (plus riding like a rock ape Embarrassed) when I actually rode off the side of the tyre,still got the sidewall scuff as a witness Ouch
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 17:22

Yeah, seen the 44 teeth boys testing the S22s at Jerez I think and they looked to hold up really well at a fast pace. Particularly as the track would have been warm, which normally just speeds up the overheating of road tyres.

Good price on the RS10s then, at that price I'd do the same. 

Also, I've never bothered balancing my tyres. I've never noticed any wobble of any sort. I just followed this to change them. Except I use a spade with a rim protector, rather than a lawn edger, to break the beads. http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/forum/changing-tyres-by-hand-full-vid-pic-walkthrough_topic35155_page1.html

i don't know what make of tyre those are, but they have very soft sidewalls.

You couldn't do that with a Mefo Super Explorer onto a KTM rim!
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 17:21
Bridgestones are also stiff I think. All tyres can be done with that method though. First couple times it's a bit tricky but it's all technique really and I feel much better doing it now after doing only about 6 changes. Actually after the first you realise it's not that bad, you just get better each time. Stiffer sidewalls don't take extra muscle, they just take extra time as you can't lever on/off as much at a time.

I use 50/50% Fairy (or we use Asda's own washing up liquid) and water as lube for the beads. Then with the valve core removed I pump them back up with a bicycle pump and find they pop in both sides before ever hitting 40psi. In the video he quickly puts the valve core back in once the beads are seated but I find it a bit fiddly working against the air rushing back out. So I then have to pump them back to pressure again from flat after putting the valve core back. 

Owen
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 17:11
I was put off trying to change tyres myself when I started using Dunlops and saw how rigid and difficult the sidewalls were to mount.

Was talking to some guys at Mallory during the Triumph bash they had and he said he always fitted his own tyres until he got SportSmarts,apparently they defeated him and he had to pay a pro to fit them Ouch

Things were good for me as at the time as I had Infront M/cycles the trackday tyre suppliers local for scrubs and cheap tyres and fitting, but sadly they're now history so I'm at the mercy of tyre depots and cowboys in bike shops

I noticed my partly worn set of Smarties on the Tuono has a made in date of 7 years ago on the front and 4 on the back so I'll replace both with something else,almost certainly S22's before riding next just to be on the safe side.

Do Bridgestones have rigid sidewalls as well do you know?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 14:58
Yeah, seen the 44 teeth boys testing the S22s at Jerez I think and they looked to hold up really well at a fast pace. Particularly as the track would have been warm, which normally just speeds up the overheating of road tyres.

Good price on the RS10s then, at that price I'd do the same. 

Also, I've never bothered balancing my tyres. I've never noticed any wobble of any sort. I just followed this to change them. Except I use a spade with a rim protector, rather than a lawn edger, to break the beads. http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/forum/changing-tyres-by-hand-full-vid-pic-walkthrough_topic35155_page1.html

Owen
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:59
Yup,horses for courses.

Might actualy get a set of levers and a balancing rig if I stay with bikes after the lockdown ends

My RS10's were originally just a cheap stop gap bought in a rush as I was after SportSmarts but they were out at the time.

Having said that though they lasted far longer than I thought they would,so far original front and on the 3rd rear,this time an Avon Extreme 3d Ultra scrub.

Think I paid around £160 the pair for the RS10's,fitted and balanced so a no brainer really

I agree Sports Touring tyres should be quite adequate for British roads regardless of what you ride

Personal opinion only and no disrespect intended,but my take is that if you NEED SuperCorsa's on the road you're probably a danger to other road users.

The KTM 1290 SDr comes with S22's as OE and that is one awesome 170 Bhp+ tyre shredding beast if you unleash it and they obviously think SuperCorsa's, Sp or otherwise are unnecessary for the bikes intended use as they developed a tougher S22 just for that bike.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 11:33
I don't see the point in tyres like RS10s and Pirelli SPs. They wear at more or less the same rate as R10s and Pirelli SCs on track. They last a little longer on the road but then they also give far more grip than you need on the road. 

Best investment I made was £12 for a set of tyre levers and valve core key. Takes less than an hour including getting wheels on and off the bike. Then use touring tyres on the road and put slicks on for track. So you have good tyres where you need them and long life where the miles of dreary road riding would kill sticky tyres.
Owen
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:19
Apologies to Ice-mille for the tyre detour Wink

I'd have got far more track mileage from the rear RS10 if I'd have been sensible with pressures and warmers while in Spain,I shouldn't have used warmers and should also have run them at a higher pressure than I did it turns out.

I was used to tracking N-tec carcass Dunlops and grossly underinflated them Embarrassed

We live and learn

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 09:32
Ah right bloody hell ha. If it were me with 1,500 miles on tyres now, then by the 23rd there would probably only be about 1,700 by the 23rd. Yeah see how they go. I've still got the Michelin Pilot Road 3s that came with my bike. 3 years, 10,000 miles, 3 days at Cadwell and 3 days at Parcmotor and they still have life in them for the road. Maybe the S22s are much more on the sport side of the sport touring spectrum?

Also, after donny they will probably look a bit shagged. A bit melted, maybe some tearing. So long as you still have legal tread depth ride them on the road a bit and they will go smooth again.
Owen
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 06:49
I will see how the s22 hold up. I would hope by the time trackday comes around they will have done 2500-3000 miles plus the trackday .
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 00:38

RS10's do far more than that,and Jezza McWilliams had ragged my first set round Rockingham during a bike tyre test and they were well scrubbed when I bought from the tyre fitter.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 18:03
Never used S22s but I'd hope they'd do more than 1 day and 1,500 road miles. Are they that bad already? Was thinking of getting some for the road next.
Owen
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 00:19
Thanks for that Ian . I have s22 on at present and done approximately 1500 road miles on them and I am booked on TAF day on 23rd at Donnington and after that I am thinking they will probably be done?The Avon looks like the best priced tyre at the moment at around £210 for a pair so unless another decent deal pops up (got s22for £186,bargain !)I will go Avonโ€™s.Thanks for info ๐Ÿ‘
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 19:44
My last track holiday I was on Bridgestone RS10's then swapped in a Extreme 3D ultra scrub in the rear and tried a lap to see if they were compatible.

Certainly were,in fact I had more confidence in the rear after that so that combo stayed for the last 2 days of the trip as there was still life in the front RS10

What they'd be like wear wise on the road I don't know,probably too soft but as track tyres I RATE THEM Thumbs Up

I found the Mille ate the RS10's on the rear in short order so I think the 3D Extremes would be the same,but as a rule I really like Avon tyres,totally underrated by the tyre snobs and they are cheaper as well.

I was planning on putting their Sport Touring tyres on the Tuono but have know decided on S22's after seeing what they can do on many video reviews.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 19:13
Hi all anyone tried the Avon ultra 3D evo tyres?If so are they ok for occasional trackday as well as road?
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 21:25
I have always been a Metzeler guy, love them, always good grip/feedback. From beginning to end. 
Can never go wrong with Metzeler's in my opinion.
But wayy to expensive here in Iceland.
Shake'n bake
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 17:13
I've got m7rr, been on 3 years due to bike off road for one year, getting out is a problem cos I'm mums carer, all set for this year and well we're on lockdown lol. I love the tyres, plenty of grip, look like they're wearing well,ok limited mileage and I'll never find the limits on them but compared to pilot power 3 I had on before they're better.  I loved to sportsmart sportmax I used to use but they were out of my price range at time.
born ugly what's your excuse!!
Hangry View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hangry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 15:08
Interesting seems like a good find iceThumbs Up
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 00:52
111pounds pr. tire. 
Ok so, i drove some more in the poring rain. Turns, sharp and long curvy onesWink. They are working great, no complaints. They remind me more and more of Mez3. (Metz.) I am impressed and i will recommend and deff. Buy again. 
Good quality for a good price. 

Try it out if it is availible and cheap, over there to.
John
Shake'n bake
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 19:34
How cheap is cheap?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 19:17
I did nearly 40 track days on Maxxis Supermaxx Sport's , never had an issue , on the road in the wet they were  a little vague but in the dry superb. And thats based against Dunlop and Pirelli's.
In fact I have Victra Sport 5's on the Leon ...and they are more grippy in all weather than the Goodyear Eagles I had before.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 14:53
Well did not know that. Thought it was chinese, anywhoo.
Tires are great, only down side i see so far is, that they are a soft compound. So rear will probably not last long, we will see. 

They are top budget tires. Does what you want and more.
They remind me so much of the Metzeler Z3 racing, put down some of my fastest lap times at Rudskogen in Norway on the z3 and Tl1000s. Younger and faster then. 

I will buy these tires again.

Will see if i can get some laps on the shorttrack here, until then. 
I am a happy pappy, will let you know if anything else comes up.
Shake'n bake
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:02
To be fair, Chen Shin is Taiwanese, not a product of communist China.
Taiwan has one of the best education systems in the world, which produces a high proportion of engineers.
IIRC the BMW singles and vertical twin engines (and perhaps the entire bikes) are made in Taiwan. I don't think there's much wrong with Tiawanese engineering, and their home motorcycle market is massive.

Some Metzeler motorcycle tyres are made in Communist China...unsurprising as (as stated earlier) parent co Pirelli is majority Chinese-owned.

Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:36
So off i go into the wet'n wild, wish me luck...LOL

No cheese comments.....hi hi
Shake'n bake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic