rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Problem
    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:46
Hello all, I have a starting problem,ignition on and fuel pump primes so press the starter and starter motor engages and turns the engine over briefly then stops and the starter solenoid clicks.Would I be right in thinking starter solenoid has packed up? I managed to start it a week ago Saturday and rode for about an then fuelled up and it started straight away,but unable to turn over enough to start since then Brand new lithium battery fully charged and it does the same with a fully charged lead acid.Any advice gratefully received thanks,Nick 
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:48
Sorry meant to say it’s a gen 2 Tuono 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 13:04
Could be the solenoid but could equally be low batt voltage. The solenoid will click if the cranking volts drop significantly.  Have a look at the dash reading for batt volts as u crank. 
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 13:15
Thanks Spoonz I will check that 👍
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 18:40
Voltage is staying above 12,it just seems as if it doesn’t stay connected long enough to get a good turn over 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 19:40
Have a look at the solenoid and see if it’s a genuine one. Also look for corrosion at the starter switch on the switchgear and starter connections to. Use a multimeter on the battery to be accurate as it’s possible the gauge is not being fast enough to measure the drop. They aren’t known to be accurate 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 20:07
Thanks Wiggins the solenoid has a Hitachi sticker on it with no indication that it’s 150amp no idea if it is genuine? I will take a look at the starter switch as well, thanks 👍
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 20:39
I’d suggest a new genuine 150amp one. I had similar where it would fail when engine was warm or be sluggish to turn again only when hot. That was an oem one and I changed it with another oem part and not been an issue for last five years. 

About £35 from Griff or your local dealer 👍🏻
www.apworkshops.co.uk
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 20:55
Cheers Wiggins I will give AP a call tomorrow to get one thanks again 👍
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 09:42
Hope you get it fixed, I keep my battery on optimate all the time it’s 11yrs old in April , started it yesterday first press , can’t recommend optimate enough did the same on my speed triple too after losing battery every other year? Good luck oh mines gen2 also
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:07
Originally posted by snowman snowman wrote:

Hope you get it fixed, I keep my battery on optimate all the time it’s 11yrs old in April , started it yesterday first press , can’t recommend optimate enough

I agree but others don't, often a topic of lovers and haters on here. I guess it depends on how you store your bike and for how long. One thing to be wary of is that if you have a Lithium battery, they don't like trickle charges so I guess any battery tenders of any brand dedicated to Lithium must take this  into account.
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 13:36
I spoke to Griff today and he recommended a multimeter on the battery to double check for any voltage drop.Its got a brand new lithium on it on trickle charge and I tried it with a fully charged lead acid. I am also going to have a look at the starting button for any corrosion,thanks for all the help and input gentlemen 👍
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 20:27
Put the multimeter on the battery and no drop off on voltage when cranking over,so I left the ignition on for a minute or so then undid the start button on the bars then turned the ignition off,All looked good with insides so just sprayed some gt85 in to be on the safe side,put it together turned the ignition on left for approximately a minute then it started on the button! I am right in thinking that the lithium battery needs a bit of time to wake up?
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 21:23
Ah, you may have just tripped over your issue. Yes, lithium, batteries generally need waking up before they will supply a working load. I've heard 30 seconds with lights on before trying to start.

You have mentioned lithium a few times before but no-one picked up on it, including me. Embarrassed Thumbs Up

EDIT:
However, you did earlier mention that your problems were apparent even with a traditional battery so ....... mmmm?!! Maybe tinkering with the switch did something but I doubt it if it looked clean and had  clearly been making the circuit to the solenoid previously.  ....... mmmmm?!!

NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 22:21
Thanks for the reply Legend, I put that last post on as soon as I got it started and in my excitement I failed to remember it had been the same when I tried the lead acid! I have tested voltage on lead acid and it was fine with no load on but it’s only a 12 not Uprated 14tz?that Griff recommends and I thought it was possibly a bit sluggish and that’s why I decided to go lithium. I will try it again tomorrow evening giving the battery time to wake up and see what happens 🤞
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 13:14
I have put a new starter solenoid on but that didn’t solve the problem so I went back to the starter button and put some more gt 85 in and it started first time!Does anyone have a gen2 starter button /kill switch assembly available? Thanks 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 21:07
You can get aftermarket ones for race bikes etc that look exactly the same 

Failing that try Sluman or Badapple as both have Gen2 being broken atm 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 22:17
Thanks wigginsjp👍I will check it out 
NickB View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 18:15
Has anyone got recommendations for a domino or other brand of starter/kill switch assembly and is it easy to make the connections? I have asked APWorkshop about a replacement that would only take about a week to get and would be inclined to go with that as it seems an easy plug in option with no connections to mess up?Any suggestions welcome gents, thanks Nick 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic