rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Essex area electrical expert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffsy46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essex area electrical expert
    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 16:42
Gents,

I have an 03 RSVR which has developed a nasty intermittent electrical fault. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it’s dead? Checked fuses, earth, battery. Had a fluke on all sorts, still nothing. Started fine yesterday and ran like a dream, today nothing? Even died whilst out a while back.

Hyside’s of Romford won’t help. Kawasaki Colchester (who apparently are an aprilia dealer) won’t touch anything over 5yrs old and offered me no leads to help. I’m in the Epping forest area and need a decent motorcycle electrical guy who can help me out. 

Any help would be appreciated 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 21:31
I can't help with an electrician but Colchester Kawasaki (Aprilia) website says:

Approachability

Our service team are happy to discuss any service / repair enquiries to ensure we meet your specific requirements. No matter what you ride we will be more than happy to help you service maintain and repair it.

I wonder what Aprilia would say about one of their dealers refusing to work on your bike?!

tuffsy46 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffsy46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 17:59
Called them fella. They said they wouldn’t touch a bike older than 5 yrs and they had no leads for someone to help. From a dealership proclaiming to be a big aprilia outfit they’re really quite poor. Nobody really wanted to help.
roboxm3 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roboxm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 18:11
When my ‘02 exhibited the same symptoms, it turned out to be the RH switchgear. I believe a dodgy side stand switch can also exhibit the same symptoms, so you may want to do the bypass wiring mod as well.
tuffsy46 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffsy46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 18:36
Where can I find such mods mate?
Iggy View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 18:43
Exactly the same symptoms last year in France, the cable from the side stand switch had chafed through just above the front sprocket cover and was earthing out intermittently
Iggy View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 18:59
If I recall correctly it was the black wire that broken nearly in half, with the section of wire coming from the engine side i spliced it onto the green wire and tapped it up. This left me with the side stand indicator light still working- but no engine cut out which l’m ok with
tuffsy46 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuffsy46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 19:35
I’ll have a look this week. Back to work on nights tomorrow so won’t get a chance for the next few days. We checked fuses and earths and they were all good. Bypassed the starter solenoid which was making a funny noise but still nothing. Reattached everything. Played with the kill switch and it fired up? Went out had a great time. Put it away. Next day.... nothing??? Back to square one.
Gazza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jaffa Cake Dealer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 14:27
I had a similar problem and like others it was the sidestand switch, easy enough to check the wiring.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 16:32
So Colchester Kwak and aprilia useless huh?

here's another one, i called them saying id like a rsv4 RF money waiting dont need finance just a new or newish one to test ride! and they said no.

i did actually think about contacting aprilia and ratting them out sounds like they deserve it.

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 17:02
Originally posted by JimGreezy JimGreezy wrote:

i did actually think about contacting aprilia and ratting them out sounds like they deserve it.

Thumbs Up
BRG View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 16:57
I have used Track Electronics in Norwich ( http://trackelectronics.co.uk/index.php?pageID=37) back in 2011 when my track RSVR was misbehavin' big-time.

Might it be worth you giving them a ring?
BRG
https://c9932541.myzen.co.uk/brgw/
'05 Ducati MTS 1000S DS 'Neppomuk' "[...] a nugget of purest green"
'06 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory 'Nibelung'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic