rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rsvr 07 not starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rsvr 07 not starting
    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 21:52
hi all,

I have read many helpful things here in the past and hope you can help? 

I have an 07 rsv which has been running fine for about 7 years after having its stator and reg replaced. Now running a shendigen direct to the battery. Stator went again recently and has been replaced. Now it intermittently won't start. Sounds like it has a dead battery even though it is brand new motobatt and tested. With meter across battery, as soon as ignition is on voltage plummets. Pulled fuses to trace and got as far as the bottom 5A one for lighting relay. Swapped this for one of the others and same happens so problem is beyond the relay. Any ideas? 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 22:12
Sorry I can't help as electrics really are some sort of magic to me but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help.

However when I hear Motobatt and starting issues I wonder,I seem to recall hearing some stories about them having some sort of issue and failing rapidly. 

What the problem was I can't remember but it did put me off from buying one at that time,hopefully yours will be fine and the problem is elsewhere.

I'm sure you have drop tested the battery properly but cases of owners with starting issues that say they have a new,tested battery and it couldn't possibly be the cause are certainly not uncommon

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 22:19
I was a bit of a Motobatt fan-boy for a while when I fitted one of their high CCA batteries which worked very well.

However after one winter it died. It still tested fine on the meter static but wouldn't start the bike. As soon as you tried to crank the starter the voltage dropped to about five volts! Duff cell or whatever but once I binned it the bike started no problem with a new battery.

Searching the web, this early failure did seem to crop up regularly.

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 22:29
Try it with jump leads, if it starts regularly I would then put a new battery in.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 22:57
when you fitted the new battery was the correct procedure followed as in 

Connect the battery 

Turn key on but don't start 

Leave for 20sec or just set the clock and shift light 

Key off

Key back on and fire her up

If this isn't done the bike will drain a new battery within hours and show your exact symptoms. 

I also avoid motobatt and I run a Yuasa but not the beefed up version and it always turns over strong. 
Hope this helps BA
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 23:22
I ain't getting on no plane you crazy fool.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 23:52
Hahaha been waiting for that LOL
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 06:46
If you have a multi meter across the actual battery and it drops dramatically, as the boys say it can only be the battery at fault as in either very flat or faulty cell/cells. If all the cells are in good condition and charged it won't drop much. 

Out of interest what does it plummet to? 

As Adam points out there is that weird voodoo set up with the ignition you can try on a new battery in case it is draining it to the point it can't turn over so despite showing something like 12.3volt prior to staring it drops to single figures because it's effectively empty. 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 09:16
Up grade to Li ion had one on for two years no probs. As B A said do key on off after connecting batt.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:38
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

I ain't getting on no plane you crazy fool.

LOL
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
cw2214 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 21:23
Thanks for the advice. What does the battery installation procedure do? Not come across this before.

Voltage drop happens as soon as ignition is turned on, even without the starter so I do not think that it is the battery. Pull out main 30a fuse and it jumps up again. Pull out headlight really and it jumps up again. I suspect an earth fault somewhere at the end of the lighting circuit. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 21:58
I think if this procedure is not followed the ecu goes into some sort of key learning mode which will drain the battery very quickly.

It's only needed on the RSV's around that vintage,not Tuono's should anyone else be wondering

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cw2214 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 22:15
Sadly have tried this and still bogging down on starting. Only been a problem since stator fitted so I suspect a damaged cable somewhere pulling it through. Stator and rectifier both unplugged but still see voltage drop at ignition on. Rises when I pull 30a then 5a then headlight relay so ses to be down that circuit. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 22:50
I remember reading somewhere it's very easy to trap the wires as the casing snaps back on ?

Could that have happened?   Other than that I'm out of ideas. Cut wires are about as far as my electrical skills go unfortunately
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:15
Originally posted by cw2214 cw2214 wrote:

Sadly have tried this and still bogging down on starting. Only been a problem since stator fitted so I suspect a damaged cable somewhere pulling it through. Stator and rectifier both unplugged but still see voltage drop at ignition on. Rises when I pull 30a then 5a then headlight relay so ses to be down that circuit. 

Did u fit a genuine gasket when u replaced the stator. The  clearance between the casing and flywheel is tiny and any thinner form of gasket will make it rub and drag down the cranking speed or sometimes stop it completely.
cw2214 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:25
Good point - it is a Showe gasket, they say they are the UK's leading manufacturer.  Is the OEM one that much thicker?  Would make sense that it could be dragging.  Although once started by jumping off car (naughty I know) it will run fine and start when hot.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:59
The gasket thickness is critical but don’t know how thick it is for comparison. Might be worth pulling the cover and look for any rubbing.
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 13:37
Originally posted by cw2214 cw2214 wrote:

Although once started by jumping off car (naughty I know) it will run fine and start when hot.

Seems like battery at fault then bad cell maybe.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 13:40
Big smile

Motobatt syndrome ?

Have you had it PROPERLY drop rested yet?

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

cw2214 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 13:51
It looks like a drop test is the next step.  Both old and new batteries seem healthy but drop to about 11.5v as soon as ignition is turned on, NOT cranking the starter so seems to be electrical rather than friction.
cw2214 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 09:46
Thanks for all your help guys - I sorted it last night.  I was thinking about the "second key" voltage drain as this still seemed to be an issue so I googled Marelli battery change.  There was a result for a Fiat where the ignition had to be left on for a whole minute then turned off.  I tried this and reset the clock and rev limiter at the same time to make sure that I left plenty of time and it fired up straight away!  Maybe worth noting somewhere that some of the Marelli bikes need longer than 15/20 seconds...
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 09:57
Glad it looks like you found an answer,I wonder how widespread the issue really was?

I'd never heard about it until I came across Amauri's post

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 20:43
If the battery has been completely drained it will not of done it any good, bear that in mind for future problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic