rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Old Charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 19:26
yeah luck lad could av been a lorry that run over it
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 16:33
I can't say it was my best ever TT trip, only managed 90 miles in six days on the island and half of that was in fog and mist!

But on the positive side, the bike did all that was asked of it.  It started easily when I wanted it to, the electrics in general behaved themselves despite the rain and road spray, and it got me where I wanted to go.  I'd been looking forward to letting it stretch it's legs away from the circuit on some of the unrestricted roads but never got the chance.

It coped really well with the bumpy roads away from the circuit, composed and even comfy for what it is.  I've a bit of work to do now to get it clean again, and an Oberon Clutch Slave on the way.  I didn't struggle with the clutch, but the lever is a little heavy, and it certainly doesn't need all the travel the lever has, so let's have a go and see if I prefer the Oberon clutch.

Lots of AP activity on Facebook while I was there, but I didn't manage to meet up with anyone.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 20:54
shame the weather was so poor mate catching up with it in tv now. OBERON is on its way definitely helps with the clutch, certainly not night and day but after a long ride you feel it.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 20:58
Wimps LOL  Wink

Shorty levers as well,makes a man of you

Now how can I exercise the right hand?    answers on a post card ShockedBig smile

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 21:45
Hahaha ask Nickyboy 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 22:28
He wasn't using his hand, he was abusing pipes 🤢
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 22:34
I'm sure there would of been foreplay 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 23:01
So he had a black ring round his mouth then👅
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 00:28
Censored
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 02:09
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

So he had a black ring round his mouth then👅

Haaaaa ha ha ha...

p**sing myself LOL LOL LOL
Question everything.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 13:00
Ashamed to say I still haven't got round to cleaning the old girl, I've been distracted working on rewiring the garage.  I'll have to get on with giving the bike a clean and a check over this weekend because I go to the Manx GP for a few days next week, hoping the weather will be better than it was for the TT.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 13:03
She's cleaned up, and checked over, and about ready to go.

I managed to crush the end of my thumb cleaning the back wheel, trapped it between a rear brake disk bolt and the calliper carrier while I was turning the wheel with my other hand.  I suspect I'll be without a thumb nail in the coming days...  Dead

I've had the rattle cans out and touched up the scuffed paint on the pillion cover, damage caused when it fell off in May, that's much better now. 

Just need to re-fit the top-box rack for Touring Mode.

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 12:08
A good time was had by all...Big smile

Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 10:44
Super fun read. 
Nice bike, well done job on it. Clap
Shake'n bake
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 13:46
Thanks Ice-Mille.

The bike is no show queen, but it is tidy enough to use, every thing works, and it's great to ride!  Big smile

I'm glad I've found your comment, it's made me feel a little guilty about my lack of recent progress.  I managed to clean the bike while I was off for Christmas, but now I need to get back in to it for some maintenance, and to fit the Oberon Clutch Slave I bought last year.

Maintenance wise, I need to check and lube the rear suspension linkage.  Now I have grease nipples on the linkage I really should turn the lip seals round so that excess grease can escape rather than just pushing the seal out.  And I really should check the swing arm pivot and headstock bearings in case they've settled with the few hundred miles I've put on the bike since the rebuild.

The clutch fluid needs changing, it was mucky grey within a couple of hundred miles of being new, a mystery to me why it does it but I'm assured they all do.  I wonder if it will stay clean for longer with the new Oberon Slave?

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:52
I've finally got round to fitting the Oberon Clutch Slave Cylinder.  I wasn't really having any trouble with the OE item, but so many people seemed by be saying how good the Oberon was that I thought it was worth a try when I saw a used one on here.

I haven't ridden the bike yet with the new slave fitted, but the clutch does feel a little lighter.  I'm also hoping that the improved bearing in the Oberon unit might help my clutch fluid stay clean looking for a bit longer than was the case with the OE slave.  Time will tell...
JBerg View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 16:09
Hello, I have been reading this thread with great interest, as I am in the middle (or perhaps just the start) of a similiar project - the scope of which seems to be growing by the day...

So thanks for all the good information here!  - and I look forward to hearing how the Oberon cylinder works out.

Cheers :)
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 08:19
I'm bored today, so having a little stroll around the sites.

The weather means the bike hasn't been out of the garage for months.  It got a clean while I was off for Christmas, but I still need to go back and do the chain and sprockets properly, and a little maintenance.

The Oberon Slave is fitted, but so far all the use it's had is that I can't resist giving the clutch lever a squeeze as I walk past the bike.  And I haven't taken a picture of the fitted Oberon, so here's the "before" picture, while I get round to taking an "after" one.

Looking at that photo, you can see the oil tank is a different colour above and below the oil level, oxidation of the surface...?  I guess it shows it's been run somewhere near the right level for most of it's life.

I've got a set of new front brake pads to fit, just standard EBC sintered jobbies.  It has Gold Fren fitted but the talk about them isn't universally positive.  I was surprised how expensive the pads were.  After a lot of shopping around I got both-sides for £50 including postage.

In the coming weeks I'll fit the front pads, check and grease the rear linkage and clean up my chain and sprockets.

I hope the rest of you on here are finding more to keep you entertained than I am?
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:12
And because we all need a project to keep us busy...  Big smile

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 06:53
I came to work on the bike today.  I'm in an unglamourous role that lets me travel to and from work in these strange times when necessary.  The downside as an excuse to use the bike is the early start, I live an hour from work, clocked on by 06:30.  And today by God it's cold!

It's the first ride of the year, and the first ride with the "new" Oberon clutch slave.  And in a real world scenario I can report it's significantly lighter using the clutch with the Oberon slave than it was with the Aprilia slave.  Smile

TBH, I didn't have trouble with the original.  I've ridden enough old bikes and odd bikes on cable clutches to know what "heavy clutch" means and thought the RSV was OK.  Enough people disagree with my view for Oberon to make a slave with a larger piston, so when one came up in the For Sale Section on here I thought I'd have a go.

Having a larger piston area means there is less piston travel for the same amount of lever travel.  It's not a problem at all, everything works as it should, I certainly wasn't aware of any difference in clutch bite-point.

In short, if you think your RSV clutch is heavy, then an Oberon clutch slave will make it a bit lighter.

Now, having got rid of that burning sensation in my hands, I can look forward to the ride home in warm spring sunshine.
Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:40
Originally posted by arlurt arlurt wrote:

In short, if you think your RSV clutch is heavy, then 
have a shot on a `90s Kawa Zepher... 
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 13:16
Or my old Buell, US "engineered" cable clutch... Smile
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 23:11
Or....really showing my age here...Laverda 1000 cc 180 degree triple.
Mikee View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 23:01
Just read through your thread 
Been on here for a while , but stuck my Mille in the back of the garage a few years ago , not given up , I have 10 other bikes but I got “ mildly disenchanted “ with it , conversely , I love it 
Anyway a recent bout of retirement has given me some time to evaluate my assets LOL
‘ right , that’s going “ was the brave statement , new battery fitted 
A gallon or so of Asda’s finest and , boom ( not in the way that led to it being consigned to the back of the garage either) , warmed up , quick spin up and down a private road , honest, and it’s that which of your children do you shoot first thing 
So the rs 125 is going 
Mot’d and insured yesterday, taxed from the first of April (I know)
So will be out and about a bit tomorrow 
Might even pay the premium membership 5 quid if it’s all ok 😀

Mike 
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 20:08
Taxed my old gen 1 yesterday and went out on an 'essential journey' today foodshopping ...Easter eggs and ice cream!
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 08:42
How's it going with the RSV Mikee, fallen in love again?

I've only got four bikes on the road, and a couple of projects, but I've come to the same conclusion, I've got too many bikes.  I'm telling myself that if I had fewer I'd use them more, mainly because if I had one or two less I could arrange them in a way that let me get any one out without having to move the others!

In the last year I've been out on the RSV twice, and my little Yam SDR200 once.  Last ride out on the RSV, and for the first time since I did the work on it, the RSV had a cough when starting, and reset the speedo to KMH.   It started properly at second attempt, but I don't know why it did it.  It also seems to have taken out the "Pass" switch, so I can't set the time either.  I need to have a look.

I still love the RSV.  I'm of a certain age too, retiring later this year and want to use the bikes more.  I still find the RSV relatively comfy for a "sports" bike, it will be one of the keepers, if behaves itself!

Wink

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 09:00
Well if you’re retiring soon you’ll have a lot more time to get the bikes out so you won’t have to sell any, win win👍
Mikee View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 13:21
A couple of weeks in and it’s still running fine 
The indicators have packed in , so that’s a wee job to prevent  the boredom 
Might be getting another one , lad that wants my rs and or the Mito has one he wants to do a deal with 
It’s an 03 non R  was really tidy when he got it , less so now though 
Needs fork seals and an oil pressure switch but apart from a nasty slip-on pipe it’s pretty much stock 
Will be a wee project perhaps 
Just what I need , more sh*t to mess about with , and a bit of space in the workshop 

What’s the easiest way to add pictures these days now fudbucket has become unusable? 

Mike 
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:32
I was on holiday last week, so managed a ride out in the good weather.  The RSV reminded me that she's old, Italian, and doesn't like being neglected.  Twice failed to start on first push of the button, clocks reset to KMH, time lost and rev limit reset.  The bike lives on an Optimate and has been no bother since I did the work listed in this thread, but obviously needed attention now.

I had the panels off and checked starter, battery and solenoid connections.  All fine.  I don't know how old the battery is, but I do know it's a cheapie.  Bike started fine on jump leads so I've treated it to a new standard Yuassa battery.  When I got it home I found the bike had a taller "14" fitted and the standard battery is a "12".  Ah well, it seems much happier on the new one than it was on the old.

All's well again.

Smile
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 16:58
I've had another run out on the old girl today, trying to decide if I should sell her or keep trying to convince myself that I can run a sports bike at my age, and with my "physique".

The local Triumph dealer apologized, then offered me £1500 against a new bike.  OK, it's not what they'd want in their showroom, it'd just go straight out to auction, and they're making doubly sure they're not going to lose out.

The used bike garage that I use for MoTs and such, which is (was?) also our Aprilia dealer had a good look round it and offered £2800 and said they'd probably advertise it at £3995 and aim to sell it for £3500.

I've had a quick look on eBay, and there are a few advertised around £4000, people seem to list them as "R" when they're obviously not, Ohlins and OZ equipped.

If I'm going to sell, do bikes sell well on here?

Should I remove the "special parts", Exhaust, collector, FR200, airbox, big-boot and such and sell it "Standard"  or would it sell better here with the good bits fitted and the standard parts in a box...?

Or should I push it to the back of the garage, cover it with a sheet, and wait for the surge in RSV-R prices...?  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic