rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Old Charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 06:55
Hi Rich,

As 426hemi says, the needle rollers are packed in, no gaps between them and no cage to retain them.  If the bearing is in reasonable condition you'll find that when you push the sleeve tube out, the needles remain in position, stuck in the bearing grease.

There are two bearings on each sleeve, one pushed in from each side.  You can pick the needle rollers out with a small screw driver, clean the old grease out of the bearing outer ring, and clean each roller with a rag, and clean the sleeve pin.  If the needle rollers or the pin is pitted then you'll have to replace the bearing.  If they're just discoloured, you probably find a good rub with the rag recovers them.  polished areas on the pin are OK, but if you can feel the damage with your fingernail, again you'll have to consider replacing the bearing and sleeve pin.

To put them back together, smear grease in the bearing outer sleeve and put the clean needle rollers back one or two at a time, the grease will stick them in position.  Be careful you don't get any stuck in the gap in the middle, between the left and right bearings.

Once you got all the needles back in there should be no gaps between them.  put some more grease in so they're well covered, and slide the sleeve pin back in.  You can put a cable tie through the bearing you've done to keep the sleeve in place and stop dirt getting in while you work on do the other bearings.

Hi spiceweasel,

Yeah, the chain tension is OK, and I think it'll relax some more once the bike's been moved under its own power.

Just running it through the gears on the Abba stand seated everything and made enough slack to get another link out.  There isn't a rear shock on the bike yet, so I can move the rear wheel through the full range of suspension travel and check chain tension all the way.

The rear shock has been stripped and parts ordered, I called in to see Reactive last week.  It needs the service kit parts, and a few more bits.  The two bushes in the bottom bearing are too corroded to use, and he had to cut a lock nut between the bottom eye and the piston rod.  Everything else is useable.

Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 21:16
Thanks both, that's incredibly useful...I have a fear of taking something apart for the first time, bits going everywhere, and then not knowing if they are all there when it's put back together. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

BTW, where did you get the special key for undoing the swing-arm spindle nut?
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 03:24
hi rich if you are taking the bearings out you might as well buy new ones they are not lot cost wise if you order them from a bearing supplier if you go to fowlers or another aprilia parts site you can get the sizes 
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 06:47
Hi Rich, If you want to replace the bearings and sleeve pins, AP do a complete kit for a Gen 1 which now includes the Teflon washers as well for just less than £70.

The kit includes the six bearings, six seals, three sleeves and six "Spooky" Teflon washers.

Of course if you pull it apart and check the bearings first, you might find they just need a clean up and new grease.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 08:50
Brilliant, thanks.

I'm going to take a peak at it this weekend.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 13:30
I forgot earlier Rich...
My swing arm lock ring Special Socket was bought from eBay, described as "Aprilia RSV, Tuono, RST, SL & ETV Swing Arm Socket Tool", and priced at £15 including postage.

They're sold by GBMotorcycleproducts2016.  They've sold 170 of them and have "more than 10" in stock.

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 13:46
Brilliant...you are saving me a lot of leg-work!
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 08:34
Up early again so thought I'd better get on with a job I've been putting off, the rotted and blocked petrol tank drain...

It's the fuel overflow, and rainwater drain that's blocked, and it was blocked solid.  When I laid the tank on its side, the drain emptied smelly water out.  Stud extractors wouldn't shift the remains of the old aluminium insert so I've had to drill it out and re-tap the thread.

Two new inserts fitted, and all's well.

I've used some new rubber hose from these to the under-tray, and more new rubber pipe to the belly-pan.  Those pipes were melted and blocked too, which might be why the alloy adaptor rotted if it had water in it all the time.  All back together now, and very little left to do.  I've got to clean up the old "V" panel and put the belly-pan halves back together, then I need to have a look at how much clearance there is between the belly-pan and the exhaust collector.

Ah that reminds me, I've got to try and fasten the heat shield back on the underside of the tank, there's another job...

I rang the suspension guy on my way home last night but he'd already shut up shop for the Easter weekend.  There's still a few small cleaning up jobs to do, and I really should give the MV a good clean too, it's been rather neglected since the RSV arrived.

Another task for the RSV rather than on it, I need to make a rack for when I go away.  I've bought a cheap, likely candidate Givi rack that I'll cut and adapt for the RSV.  Years of going away on the bike has taught me to put up with the embarrassment of having a "Top Box" for the ease and security of carrying my stuff.  It's always taken off when I get where I'm going, but seems the best travel luggage solution to me.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:39
Again mucho progress,respect Clap

You've just reminded me that somewhere I have a Givvi monokey topbox mounting and rails to attach it to an Sv1000s. 
I bought it as a job lot,used twice complete with the matching side rails and monokey rigid panniers just incase I went touring again,I didn't and have since moved the panniers and mounts on and I'd forgotten about the top box bit.

It's probably still up in the attic with all the Kwak 636 bodywork,a job for later methinks Wink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:57
May just be the way the tank is laying but watch out for the pinch in the fuel intake hose. Few of these have started to break down because of their age and the angles you have to stick them at to refit 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 14:43
Thanks IanG and Wigginsjp.

Yes, I was a bit concerned about the fuel pipe.  It doesn't feel hard, and sits OK when the tank is level, but looks horrible like that.

I've used double sided carpet tape to stick the heat shield in place under the tank, though my hopes aren't high that it's a long term solution.  So long as it sits in the right place, I don't suppose it matters too much if it's securely fastened or not.

The sun's out, and I'm so close that I couldn't help myself.  Pushed the bike outside for a couple of photos.  Please ignore the block of wood where the rear shock should be.

I'm relieved the exhaust seems further away from the belly-pan now the panels are fastened on properly, and I've re-routed the petrol tank filler drain and breather to the notch in the belly-pan, I'll ty-rap them in place and trim them off nicely.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 15:06
Looks good!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 15:35
2nd that Clap

Proper classic,I've just been out in my garage and got a bit misty eyed looking at my Mille all covered over with old quilts and cardboard boxes,it does seem a bit of a shame having it just sitting there on stands for the last couple of years.

I had put some fuel and a battery in it not so long ago and it fired straight up,I'd forgotten what the Evo can sounds like,bought back a few happy memories of foreign trackdays in the sun when I could be arsed to ride
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 21:26
Go on IanG, drag her out of the garage and rekindle the magic...
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 21:56
Mmm,not insured,sorned,no Mot,track tyres and not been run for almost 3 years

I'm tempted,I'm just watching some old footage of it on track and feeling the need...
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 15:07
The last-but-one piece of the puzzle came yesterday, a new windscreen all the way from China.  I'd asked about the price of a real Aprilia screen at my dealer and fell over laughing when he told me.  I'd found a couple that looked OK on eBay in the UK at around £45, and one in China at £12.69.  So I had a punt on the Chinese one, my reasoning being that maybe the UK ones are coming from China anyway...

It's fine.  The profile is good, plastic the same thickness as the original, and drilled in the right places.  I had to open out the bolt holes to take the well-nuts, and take a little material off the back edge corners where it didn't quite line up inside the top-fairing plastics, but now it's on and I'm happy with it.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 08:26
New screen fitted a few days ago, but now of course I don't have my "Aprilia Performance" stickers.

Have I seen some "www.RSVR.net" stickers somewhere on here?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:05
Try the shop,or maybe Spoonz as I think he has some say in the sticker dept Confused

Bike looking really good though Clap   these old ladies clean up well

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 15:19
Thanks IanG, I'll give 'em a nudge and see if any stickers fall out...  Smile

Still waiting for my rear shock, he tells me the parts were ordered nearly three weeks ago, and the serviceable parts are all ready to go back together when the new bits come.

I'm on with making a frame to take a Givi Monolock top-box plate at the moment.  I'll make it so it sits where there pillion cover goes, and bolts in to the the pillion cover latch fixings.  I'll take it off when we get there and put the cover back on.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:03
There's a proper RSV / Tuono Large Airbox Boot on eBay:

Is this someone on here?

I'm tempted, but think I'll stick with my funny shaped Large Falco boot.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:23
That's the going rate for one if them.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:55
Just spoken to Reactive Suspension, my Steering Damper is done, but no news on the Rear Shock parts yet.  I'll have to pick the Steering Damper up tomorrow as my travel arrangements today are screwed up by lycra-clad cyclists all over the place, competing in, and spectating on, the Tour de Yorkshire.  I think they should move it round the country and share the fun.  How about the Tour de Wales, and the Tour de Norfolk for the next couple of years...?  Wink

When I pick up the Steering Damper I can look him in the eye and have a guess at when I might get the Rear Shock back.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 14:44
It's one of those Good News : Bad News days.

Got my steering damper back, all well.  Big smile

It doesn't stick any more.

More good news...  The parts for the rear shock arrived this morning, and he's started to put it back together.

Bad news...  One of the new Top Hat Bushes for the bottom mount is missing.  

Good news... All the bits needed to re-build, re-fill and re-pressurise the rear shock are here.

He's spoken to Ohlins, and they agree it's their mistake and they should have sent a pair of bushes, not just one.  They'll try to get the forgotten bush in with another order that will be shipped to Reactive Suspension for Tuesday, because of course it's a Bank Holiday weekend.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 09:18
Steering Damper back in, by 'eck that's a fiddly job!

NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 09:24
Just been reading through this thread - just WOW mate Clap

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 09:31
And to think it just started as 'here's a couple of pics of my bike'!

It's informative and inspirational.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 09:36
Yeah, exactly, credit to ya dude Wink

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 09:42
Thanks NickyBoy.  Just been reading through your thread too, I've done nowt compared to your troubles!

I'm enjoying working on the RSV, but a bit disappointed I still haven't got my rear shock back.  I did see it yesterday, It's assembled and was on the refill jig being, erm, re-filled.

Four months in and I want to ride the bike now. The MoT expired a couple of days ago, Gareth at Reactive Suspension has said he'll help me set the bike up, should be straight forward as all the suspension's been striped and overhauled.

I've spent over over half as much again as the bike cost me to buy, but I've enjoyed doing it, and the ones I see selling on eBay don't look any better at first glance, except the ones with Akrapovic twin sysems, which I'm still jealous of...

I started out on here then discovered the Facebook Aprilia Group through this site.  I think I prefer it on here to FB, it feels a bit more focussed, and dare I say a bit more informed...?  I'm still lurking on FB but don't respond to much on there.

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your progress NickyBoy.

How's yours coming on Rich?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 09:58
Originally posted by arlurt arlurt wrote:

Thanks NickyBoy.  Just been reading through your thread too, I've done nowt compared to your troubles!

I'm enjoying working on the RSV, but a bit disappointed I still haven't got my rear shock back.  I did see it yesterday, It's assembled and was on the refill jig being, erm, re-filled.

Four months in and I want to ride the bike now. The MoT expired a couple of days ago, Gareth at Reactive Suspension has said he'll help me set the bike up, should be straight forward as all the suspension's been striped and overhauled.

I've spent over over half as much again as the bike cost me to buy, but I've enjoyed doing it, and the ones I see selling on eBay don't look any better at first glance, except the ones with Akrapovic twin sysems, which I'm still jealous of...

I started out on here then discovered the FB group through this site.  I think I prefer it on here to FB, it feels a bit more focussed, and dare I say a bit more informed...?  I'm still lurking on FB but don't respond to much on there.

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your progress NickyBoy.

How's yours coming on Rich?

Oh yes lol, I’ve had some troubles and pain in the arse moments along the way but they all make it worth the while when your face to face looking at your creation, I’ve had some fantastic guys work on project Goddard99 and I’ve been very lucky! I’ve been looking through all your pics mate, what have ya been using to post em up, I used to be on this forum WAY too much lol and used to use photobucket a lot...

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 10:19
Just link direct from your pc Nicky Wink

Unless you just have an iPhone of course

I lost all my photo bucket stuff too as I forgot to back things up before they shutdown

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic