Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Old Charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 21:39
Surprising how many people have over filled the reservoirs in the past so the pedal doesn't return fully.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 21:44
Thanks legend88, that makes sense.

Thanks 426hemi.  I didn't take much notice of the fluid level when I stripped it, but I'll make sure it's got enough space when I refill and bleed it.

Just need the rear shock now, and it can go for MoT.  Still stuff to do with the belly pan and fairings.  Clean jobs... 😊
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 22:19
It'll soon be that clean you won't want to ride it LOL

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 06:53
It will never be any sort of showroom example IanG, the aim is to make it reliable, tidy and useable.

Looking at the picture of the rear brake master cylinder again, it does look like the pushrod has been adjusted by a PO, that'll get a dose of looking at tonight...  I guess all I need is clearance between the end of the push rod and the piston when the brake pedal is fully up?  I'll adjust until I can feel and hear the knock.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 09:50
Yup,that's what people over adjust usually.

It needs some free play before the pushrod engages,nothing excessive but it is necessary

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:45
Thanks IanG, that's what I thought, but it's reassuring to see it in black & white.

Looking at the photo of my master cylinder, there seems to be a witness mark on the pushrod that suggests the push-rod has been over extended by about a nut's width.  For once it's an easy job to adjust, I'll have a play tonight.  (I'll have to wipe that excess grease off too... Embarrassed)

It's a similar issue to the clutch master cylinder pushrod adjustment.  With the clutch you can actually see when the pushrod is set properly, because the initial movement of the clutch lever increases the fluid level in the reservoir, proving that there's an open path for fluid to return from slave to reservoir.  Maybe I'll get that same visual confirmation with the rear brake when I get some fluid in it, and it's properly adjusted.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 20:02
I had a look at the rear brake push-rod tonight, and just as it looked, the push-rod was pre-loading the master cylinder piston.  Those three threads showing in the photo were stopping fluid returning to the reservoir, I've wound it back in so that at rest the push-rod is clear of the piston and all is well.

The rear calliper bled without too much trouble, off the bike, held with the bleed nipple at the top, and once it was all bolted up, the brake tested OK with the engine running, in gear driving the back wheel.

Speed sensor is back on, and the cable and brake pipe routed nicely.

As I've got a back brake now, I was able to torque up the front sprocket bolt, and put the sprocket cover back as well.

That'll do for tonight, glass of wine and some crap telly to come.  Smile
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 21:39
Enjoy,I think you've earned it Clap
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 21:56
Thanks IanG. 😊

I'm enjoying working on the RSV, it's made of quality bits, and when you set them up properly it works well.  If it was Japanese, you'd just bolt it together and everything would work, but because it's Italian, you have to  understand it, adjust, and set it up to make it work properly.  I like having to think about what I'm doing, and working things out.

From my few brief rides on the RSV, I think it'll be the same to ride as it is to work on.  I'll have to spend a little time setting it up, but I hope it'll be as rewarding to ride as it is to work on. 
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 22:29
My non-running CCM is now a runner...just needs putting back together.

Next job...cast a sharp eye and a spanner or two over the RSV
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 07:28
Go for it Rich, you're far better spending time with your spanners than swearing at the telly!
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 16:15
Called in to see the suspension man on my way home.  The good news is the rear shock is stripped and required parts ordered from Ohlins.  The bad news, he's no idea when they might come.

I've re-torqued the swing-arm pivot, all good.

And I've re-adjusted the chain, I can now get that extra link out, so that's what I'll do.

For the next job, I need to draw on my artistic side...  Confused

The RSV decals were £14 for the pair, and £3 has bought me several sheets of red, orange and satin black adhesive vinyl.  All I have to do now is chop it all up and make it look like the picture.  Big smile
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 17:12
I’ve been lurking in this thread since the beginning. Very interesting seeing the attention to detail you are paying. I had an 02R brand new when they first came out, they are fantastic.

On the subject of decals, I’m sure you’ll do a good job with your vinyl, but are you aware Imageworks do a complete set for that model and they look pretty much like OEM? you seem like you’ll probably enjoy making your own, but with the effort you are putting in on the mechanics, you could really top it off with a fresh set of decals
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 18:18
Originally posted by arlurt arlurt wrote:

The good news is the rear shock is stripped and required parts ordered from Ohlins.  The bad news, he's no idea when they might come.

Sure you don't want to borrow my Showa Karl, 2 bolts and you're rolling?
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 21:26
Hi SteveX, and thanks again for your offer, very kind.  If I get to the point where I need to SORN the bike, early May for MoT, could I trouble you for an hourly rate hire of a rear shock...?

The suspension man is realistically pessimistic about Ohlins deliveries, but does enough business with them to be able to reassure me.

Hi Wilko, thanks for your interest, I'm enjoying working on the RSV.  I've  spoken to Image Works, but they expected to be able to take the bike in to their workshop, and to swap decals like for like.  My bike has mismatched bodywork and decals so I need to tweak and fix bodywork as I go, and it's a fair trek to Image Works from here in the North.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:34
It's coming together...

The orange vinyl isn't quite opaque so you can see the damage to the panel through the vinyl, but I think it's good enough for the old girl.

The red vinyl I have isn't a good colour match, I'll go with it for the moment, need to try to get some that's nearer Aprilia Red.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 15:55
The finished article has come out OK.

The red above the "ili" of Aprilia isn't a great match, but it'll do until I can find a better colour match.  I've cleaned up and re-lacquered the carbon infill panel too.

The bike came with matt black painted belly pan halves, and fairing mid sections from a later year.  I've peeled the later model decals off the mid-sections and used new pattern "RSV" decals from eBay again for the mid panels.

It took a while, but eventually I found two belly pan halves in almost the right colours, one was red/red, the other red/orange.  The OE orange one is at the top an my "interpretation" at the bottom in the photo below.  I don't have a good vinyl colour match for the Aptilia red, so I've gone for red/orange.

As my "RSV" decals aren't proper, I'll have to go through the same process with the OE orange panel as well, but at least I'm more confident about it now.  The sound deadening foam had rotted on one of the mid panels so I've replaced that as well, and stuck it back on where it was flapping on the other side.

A generous smear of vaseline on the lens and she looks lovely...   Smile

arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 09:17
Has anyone got any tips for removing the press-on star washers from the plastic pegs that gold the belly-pan halves together?  If I just pull, I'm worried it'll break the peg, or the washer...
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 09:48
You should be able to pry them up using a couple of screwdrivers but they can be a sod.
Secret is to just take your time. 
Alternatively, pry enough to be able to snip the washers and get some replacements.
I always replace them with stainless domed socket heads.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:18
Thanks Stevex.

I've got a bag of M5 stainless flange cap head bolts and nyloc nuts, I'll do it your way.

But what about all the extra weight I'm adding!?  Wink

That's the right side fairing panels done...

Photos always make things look better than they really are, but I'm happy enough with the fairing panels.  They're in keeping with the rest of the bike, neglected, and recovered as best I can without breaking the bank.  I will have to polish up the tank, tail piece and top fairing panels too, though I think the bike started out Satin (or Matt?) Black.

Next job is the petrol tank drain outlets, so I'll have to take the tank off.  I've also got to try and fasten the petrol tank heat shield back on somehow, it was just sat on top of the rear cylinder.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 16:00
Looking back through the replies I noted legend88's post about the fuel tank overflow pipes emerging through a hole in the right fairing... Is that what the notch above the exhaust apperture is for?  Looks like a PO has cut the lower half of the pipe loop off.  And if that is what the notch is for, then I've gone the wrong way with the drain pipes, I've got them coming out forward of the rear brake master cylinder.  If they come out the notch then they're still very close to a hot exhaust.

Speaking of a hot exhaust, the collector seems very close to the bottom of the belly pan, do they ever run hot enough or close enough to melt it?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 17:05
Usually not,but be aware of the of the inner piece that fits round the inside of the collector,it's very easy to forget about bolting that up and it then melts on the pipe Embarrassed

I would bet that a good percentage of bikes have that bit melted to some extent

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 21:44
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Usually not,but be aware of the of the inner piece that fits round the inside of the collector,it's very easy to forget about bolting that up and it then melts on the pipe Embarrassed

I would bet that a good percentage of bikes have that bit melted to some extent

Guilty as charged although mine isn't melted badly so still in use Embarrassed

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 21:47
Originally posted by arlurt arlurt wrote:

Looking back through the replies I noted the one about the fuel tank overflow pipes emerging through a hole in the right fairing... Is that what the notch above the exhaust apperture is for?  Looks like a PO has cut the lower half of the pipe loop off.

Yep, that's the slot. The only reason I can think of why they would notch the slot is to make it easier to route the pipes through as it can be a bit of a pain sometimes. However notched out like that isn't going to very good at keeping the pipes in place either.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 21:56
Thanks Legend88. There's only 1/4" between the collector and the belly pan where the rear cylinder loops in to the collector. Looks a bit close, maybe I need to have my first couple of 'serious' rides with a bottle of water under the seat hump...

I'm tempted to drill a couple of holes in the belly pan forward of the rear brake master cylinder for the fuel tank drains. The design exit points look a bit dodgy.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 22:52
I've never had a problem with e pipes melting however I think I cabled tied them together and out of the way of the collector. Didn't really re-route them just made sure they couldn't flap about.
arlurt View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arlurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 18:48
Another chain link out and re-riveted.

That's better.  Smile
Rich Simpson View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Simpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 21:42
Great stuff!

Tell me, is it possible to dismantle the rear suspension pivots without needle-rollers falling all over the place?
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 22:42
After removing the link do you still have the same give in the chain at mid point below swingarm? as too tight makes the same damage as being too slack on the sprockets
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 00:55
Originally posted by Rich Simpson Rich Simpson wrote:

Great stuff!

Tell me, is it possible to dismantle the rear suspension pivots without needle-rollers falling all over the place?

They're full complement bearings so they do come out, you can take them out and clean and put back in as long as you don't loose any.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic