rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust wrap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfc-james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust wrap
    Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:14
Hi Guys,

Exhaust wrapping.

Is it worth it? benefits?

anyone done it? hints/tips? best method

cheers
James
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:37
Used it for years and really believe in it especially for the rear shock. I use magma wrap from thermal velocity. When wrapping I put the opposite end of the wrap in a vice and pull the wrap tight and turn the header and it keeps it really tight and I use lockwire to fasten it afterwards as you can get it tighter than the cable ties.
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:59
Interested in this for the RC8.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:56
My friend has wrapped his akra system on his rc8.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 17:06
I had my headers ceramic coated then wrapped the rear header to help out my rear shock.
Used DEI wrap.

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 17:41
Never done it and never had any problems with the Ohlins over heating.
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 19:50
Looks great if properly applied.
Several months later, not so much.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 20:28
Yes, there's definitely a right and wrong way to apply it, and those stainless steel bands some use to hold it in place look pants; lock wire looks far better. I put the wrap in water before applying, which allows it to stretch slightly when fitting and makes it tight when it drys out. 
I don't do wet weather riding on my Aprilia so my header wrap still looks like new after over a year since fitted.
The photo above was taken with the wrap fitted before I got the header ceramic coated, this one after.

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 22:59
Dei wrap you do need to soak as it's quite stiff but the magma wrap you don't, I had mine race spec ceramic coated as well by camcote and it does make a big difference.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 02:25
Run your bike on it's stand for 10-15 mins, or after a good ride. Feel the heat on the shock. Wrap the headers with quality wrap, then do the same. Job jobbed.

Question everything.
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 05:54
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

Run your bike on it's stand for 10-15 mins, or after a good ride. Feel the heat on the shock. Wrap the headers with quality wrap, then do the same. Job jobbed.

In reality who does that?

Feel it after a 20minute track session and I can guarantee its cool as penguin piss, which is where it was designed to work.

So wrapping it does nothing apart from add weight and make it look bloody horrible and body.

Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 09:11
I ceramic coated my big bore system as it was so close to the shock on the road bike and in my old Facebook days there was media hysteria about overheating rear shocks. 
In reality I've raced with an Ohlins on an Akrapovic system and in that time rider fatigue was more of the issue than an overheating shock. I found it more use to prevent panels melting in the past or on parts where I may burn my hands whilst working on a hot bike. As with Jolly I don't really like the look of it unless it's done very well and that is rare 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 14:26
In reality, when I check the oil.

Thrashing a track bike for 20 mins and moving slowly or sitting in traffic on a 2 hour run are a world apart.

Did I make any claims of shock fade etc?? Only that the shock is cooler. I wrapped mine because of excess heat from a modded collector running too close to cf bodywork and discolouring it/ burning it. I can hold my headers for 3 or 4 seconds easily while running. Pretty sure my crotch is less sweaty than before as well ha ha

Question everything.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 17:19
Exhaust wrap can look bloody horrible and I'm no fan of a full exhaust done in the stuff.
My header was wrapped properly and I like the look of it.
Maybe an Ohlins shock (I'm guessing we're not talking Showa as that was never designed for the track) can cope with the extra heat of being a few mm from a rear header, but ceramic coat and wrap will still give it an easier life.

wfc-james View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfc-james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 12:19
thanks for the responses guys.
I think i will give it a go.
James
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic