rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chain rivet tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chain rivet tool
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 21:21
I've got to fit a new chain and sprocket set to a little cbf125 im fixing up. I will post a picture when I'm off work Sunday you've never seen a sprocket this knackered I can guarantee! 

This is not a job I've done before so I don't have the tooling. Very mixed reviews on the net so seems a bit of a minefield as to which one to buy so thought I'd ask you lot what you're using . Ideally I need something that can join little chains like the Honda but also the ape and other proper bikes.

Im assuming best and easiest way to get the old one off is dremel it?

Cheers BA
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 21:52
Use a grinder to get the old chain off. Fitting tool depends on the chain type. I prefer solid pins not the hollow tip type and use a whale tool although they aren’t cheap.
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 23:10
I got a whale tool for the solid pin type as well, very good bit of kit Ad but as Spoonz says, not cheap....I did see a good review for a similar bit of kit in PB or Fastbikes last month though, it was 90 quid all in I think but came with more kit than the Whale tool...I'll dig it out in the morning and tell you the exact make.  
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 23:17
Found it....

Now in the description it says it's for hollow pins but in the write up in fast bikes it says there is an anvil type attachment that's designed for use with solid pins....so might be worth ringing them and checking that it can do both types. 
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 23:25
Thanks fellas . Bit more than I was planning on spending for a tool that I won't use very often however I suppose in the long run it will pay for itself and better than spending 30 quid and it not working. 
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 00:21
On my Tuono I ground the link heads off then used a oxford chain link remover / rivot tool , bloody good piece of kit , also watched videos professionals doing it ( it does help) . Oh Ox tool was about £30 ???
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 06:30
The chain and sprockets will might be a split link as its only a little 125, if it is just make sure the closed end of it is on the top run facing the front sprocket.
But if you do need one these are pretty cheap https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/afam-chain-riveter-biceasy-riv-5/
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Jimbo-w View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo-w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 19:51
I just fitted a chain to an rs4 125 ,it had a split link so was easy.to do riveted chains I have always compressed the link on with a small vice and some washers and then used a round ended punch to splay the rivet,but have and old steel panel beaters dolly to support the link before striking it.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 21:55
To be honest I didn't even think about it being a split link I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm off work but that would be a result. Thanks for the tip Ian I wouldn't of known that.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:40
I have an old £20 air chisel converted to a rivet gun, with an aircraft rivet snap fitted (£5 ebay).
Put a big hammer behind it to support the back, put the gun up to it, pull trigger, done.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:52
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

I have an old £20 air chisel converted to a rivet gun, with an aircraft rivet snap fitted (£5 ebay).
Put a big hammer behind it to support the back, put the gun up to it, pull trigger, done.

Bad ass Tifa
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:54
So saved myself buying a tool until the ape needs doing. As a few of you said easy peasy split link so all sorted now cheers gents.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic