FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Gear Linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade Gear Linkage
    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 22:21
Originally posted by BRG BRG wrote:

Here's another idea...

I wanted to convert to reverse shift - without the added expense of new rearsets.
(I didn't need a rear brake master cylinder relocation, as my bike is track-only and I don't use the rear brake.)

I cannibalised the bits from a Falco, which already has most of the required bits - The only change required was to file the footrest lugs of the RSVR footplate and bore it for the Falco through-bolt.

The picture shows the addition of a screwed-in plate to allow the quickshifter to clear the chassis and the shift arm shows a blanked hole from an earlier attempt to shorten the lever. IT WORKS.

Yes, it is about a centimeter wider than standard, but there are only a couple of circuits in my portfolio where I'm heeled over on left-handers. Wink

Falco footplate
RSVR reverse shift

Nice, looks slick. And unlike mine, it actually looks like it should be there! Perks of nicking Falco parts I guess. Thumbs Up
2008 Tuono 1000R in Orange
BRG View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 17:14
Here's another idea...

I wanted to convert to reverse shift - without the added expense of new rearsets.
(I didn't need a rear brake master cylinder relocation, as my bike is track-only and I don't use the rear brake.)

I cannibalised the bits from a Falco, which already has most of the required bits - The only change required was to file the footrest lugs of the RSVR footplate and bore it for the Falco through-bolt.

The picture shows the addition of a screwed-in plate to allow the quickshifter to clear the chassis and the shift arm shows a blanked hole from an earlier attempt to shorten the lever. IT WORKS.

Yes, it is about a centimeter wider than standard, but there are only a couple of circuits in my portfolio where I'm heeled over on left-handers. Wink

Falco footplate
RSVR reverse shift

BRG
https://c9932541.myzen.co.uk/brgw/
'05 Ducati MTS 1000S DS 'Neppomuk' "[...] a nugget of purest green"
'06 Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory 'Nibelung'
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 22:30
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

It has a good off set.

Aye it does and so did this MT03 one before cutting. A bit of heat and a vice will keep the offset and flatten the face of it to make it look pretty. That's the plan anyway!
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 22:11
It has a good off set.
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 22:11
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Yamaha r6 selector arm works great as well.

That's the one I had originally but have now gone for this one for the lovely shorter lever action, crisp Thumbs Up
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 22:08
Yamaha r6 selector arm works great as well.
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 21:21
Update: I've now improved this system massively by getting a shorter shift arm to reduce the distance needed to shift and t increase the amount of force needed so you can feel it much better through a boot. Whist it is yet to look pretty (some minor extra work will sort that out), the cut and shut of this MT03 (320cc version) shift arm makes it much better. Either way, it looks like Yamaha bikes have the same gear shift shaft spline dimensions as Aprilia as I know of at least 2 other bikes that have a compatible shift arm. I choose this one to bodge as it was a boss with the splines and a bit of welded plate that I could easily cut off the old rose joint point and drill a new one. Easy!

Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 18:40

Originally posted by colinmeadows colinmeadows wrote:

you need to have the shift rod to gearbox lever more at 90 degrees

uploads/5894/20170315_174110.jpg

Yeah, deffo needs to go that way. At least with this system, dicking about can take place! As for your pic, it's upside down on the computer but right way up on mobile. Peculiar.

Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

Good work ... I have seen this done with an rs125 lever as well

Cheers. Yes, the RS125 lever did look good as did the Cagiva Mito lever, but both were either in bent conditions or much more pricy. I guess generic and common Suzuki and Kawasaki parts are much less in demand, hence why I got this new one for a tenner, winner.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 16:43
Good work ... I have seen this done with an rs125 lever as well

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 14:44
i have no fu**ing idea why the photo is upside down its right way up on my computer but when i upload it becomes upside down posting pics is a flaming nightmare with premium membership
colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 14:35
you need to have the shift rod to gearbox lever more at 90 degrees
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:56
One gripe of my Gen2 Tuono has been the gear lever. Being direct acting, I've never been able to put it low enough to make the most of being able to upshift and downshift whilst keeping the foot on the peg. It can't help with quite large feet and even now with my lowed footage position, it's just not quite there.

Having seen a YouTube video (link below) about another chap who made a GP shift system from a Ducati Monster lever and that the hole on the peg plate just in front of the peg position is for the Aprilia accessory GP shift system, cogs turned to make he have a go at making my own. A few weeks later, here we have a successful system!

Consisting of:
-Yamaha 06-16 R6/02-03 R1 shift arm that fits straight onto the Aprilia gearbox shaft (part no 5PW-18112-00)
-New track/shift rod from eBay of the right length of about 170mm/180mm (link below)
-Suzuki gear lever for TL10000, early 2000 GSXR's etc (part no 25600-22E00-000)
-Kawasaki ZZR600 mounting bolt for the gear lever. This was mainly because I got the ZZR lever to try and just reused the bolt. Any lever mount bolt for the bore size with a long enough thread will work.
-Kawasaki ZZR600 gear lever is a tried option I had and would work best if you have the standard peg position or smaller feet (part no 13242-1305)
All in, about £45 in which would be under £40 if I only bought 1 lever rather than experimenting with 2.

This setup plus a couple washers, nyloc nut and a spacer as I got a smaller 12mm mount bolt diameter and spaced it out to match the Suzuki 18mm bore. I will either replace this with a machined top hat spacer or a larger 18mm lever perch bolt and this will also reduce the need for more than 1 washer.
There isn't a need for these exact levers, just need one that's designed to have the shift rod run behind it for packaging reasons. The Suzuki one has an angled rose joint mount that once I put the rose joint from the new shift rod on the other side, ran with no clearance issues.  

All in all, works beautifully, equal lever weight and moment at any position, loads of adjustability and doesn't look crap like one of my homemade jobbies easily could. Clicks into gear much better and come the better weather for better rides, should be a joy (currently only tested in 2degree temps on some nice dirty duel carriageways!). Only downside so far is the throw of the lever is quite a lot. The amount it moves to go from one gear to the next is still easily usable and fine to use, but is more than that of the standard set up. Hence the angle on the R6 shift arm which helps reduce this. I might tap a new hole in the shift arm hallway between the two current points, but that'll be future investigations. But for now, well happy and it doesn't break the bank! May even give GP shift a try in the near future for the first time... 

GP shift video and forum post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzDYkvBiTc 
https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?304190-Finally-got-GP-shift-on-my-09-Tuono-Factory

Track/shift rod: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-Rod-Ends-RH-LH-Thread-Rose-Joint-Tie-Track-Rod-End-Gear-Link-170-180mm-T6V/263807476476?epid=4021330845&hash=item3d6c26a2fc:g:h-sAAOSwmS1bRN6V:rk:1:pf:0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic