rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer advice
    Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 17:37
Plans for my trackbike are coming together nicely so before I buy one I need to get a trailer sorted. I dont want a bike specific one because I will use it for camping and other bits and bobs so my question is what is the smallest trailer I can get away with for one bike? 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 18:29
Personally I hate using trailers for bikes, your pride and joy is sitting out in the elements and for everyone to see and you have to fill your car to the roof with all the extra gear you need. I would rather spend a bit extra and buy a van.
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 19:09
I agree with Hemi as I have a van !
BUT I have also seen people using a horse box type of trailer, it has a ramp, and sides and a roof (so prying eyes cant see in, with plenty of room for loads of stuff (just a thought)
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 19:46
A decent sized box trailer would be my choice so that you can fit the bike in along with all the stuff you need for a trackday, tools, spares, compressor, generator, camping gear, barbecue etc. You can also put an awning on the side to keep the elements off. Buy too small and you will regret it. A van is great but it's another thing to tax, insure, mot and maintain.
Andy Higham View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 21:57
Our local trailer company make Tow A Van, you could kit one out with a workshop/sleeping/brew making facilities
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:29
Part bike/Quad trailer, part caravan. You never see them much in the UK. Always a few at Santa Pod.

http://xplorcampers.com/xth-toy-hauler-12-.html

I'd go with a box trailer if you can. A van if the bug bites. Depends if you have space to park it.
Question everything.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:30
As much as I would love a van its totally out of the question already got my car, my cab and the ape to keep on the road couldn't warrant a another chunk of running costs. This is my first dabble in the world of trackbikes so its got to be cheap and cheerful hence a small trailer. The bikes going to be a cheapo too so not really bothered about who can see it or weather and if I travel to a track I'll be in a tent next to it so any unwanted attention should wake me up pronto. Found a couple of 6x4 or 7x4 trailers for 200-400 quid im able to store it out the way and can double up for camping trips. 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:32
Bloody hell Andy and Rick there  a bit on the serious side maybe one day.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:41
One of the little Motolug trailers would be perfect, but not for camping.
Question everything.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:46
I have seen old (AKA cheap) caravans with a door cut into the back to take a bike
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:51
Paddedcell has just shown me his motolug jobbie and it would be ideal but me and the missus really could do with one for the ever expanding camping gear so two birds with one stone and all that. Andy I will NOT own a caravan of any description haha but thanks for the advice. 
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:56
2 trailers then. A motolug, that takes no space and a small Erde type trailer for camping etc?
Question everything.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 22:59
It's the cost mate trying to do this as cheap as possible, one 7x4 trailer for everything is the most cost effective way to go for now.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 23:16
My race weekends set up consists of a caravan and van. I park them about 2M apart and erect a canopy between, I lay interlocking foam tiles on the ground for kneeling on when making adjustments.
The bikes travel in the van and under the canopy over night, The dog sleeps in the back of the van, (side door open) attached to a cable so he can go for toilet in the night.
After a hot sweaty day racing I can have a shower cook a meal and enjoy a beer in the caravan followed by a good night sleep before the sunday racing.
As I am approaching 60 I really appreciate the comforts I have worked bloody hard to provide
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 23:38
It all depends on what licence you have, I found out that I can only pull a single axle trailer as long as the weight of the trailer & cargo doesn't exceed a certain weight and it's not double axled and braked 
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 01:39
Originally posted by spiceweasel spiceweasel wrote:

It all depends on what licence you have, I found out that I can only pull a single axle trailer as long as the weight of the trailer & cargo doesn't exceed a certain weight and it's not double axled and braked 

Same here, if you passed your driving test after 1997 then its as you say mate. The weight limit is 750kg
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 01:53
Originally posted by Andy Higham Andy Higham wrote:

My race weekends set up consists of a caravan and van. I park them about 2M apart and erect a canopy between, I lay interlocking foam tiles on the ground for kneeling on when making adjustments.
The bikes travel in the van and under the canopy over night, The dog sleeps in the back of the van, (side door open) attached to a cable so he can go for toilet in the night.
After a hot sweaty day racing I can have a shower cook a meal and enjoy a beer in the caravan followed by a good night sleep before the sunday racing.
As I am approaching 60 I really appreciate the comforts I have worked bloody hard to provide

Im only messing mate just jealous hehehe that sounds like a quality set up. Im just an occasional trackday rider who's got fed up with risking my pride and joy every time I want to have some fun . I've been promising myself a track bike for years but stuff always gets in the way but this year im making it happen. Racing's the dream! 
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 17:47
When i was trying to do it on the cheap i had a flat bed trailer which i could bolt on a front wheel chock (about £30 off ebay) and a bit of arnco (free off the side of the road). I had a mondeo estate which with the rear seats folded flat meant i could sleep fully stretched out in the back at night. 

Now things have got crazy and i have a high top transit and caravan Disapprove
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 09:27
Was also going to recommend one of those wheel chocks to make it easy to do 1 man loads but thinking about it you might not need one. I have a dedicated bike trailer and it's a pain in the arse loading it by myself. Have to hold it up while reaching down to hook straps on. With a box trailer you can just pop it on the side stand while you tie down.

Only thing I'll add is have your pride and joy for the track and use the cheaper bike for the road. Only logical way to do it.

The beautiful sports bike gets ridden as it should, gets frequent maintenance and only goes out on un-salted circuits in reasonable weather. Cheaper beater pootles about the road in all weather with less frequent maintenance and less worry.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 09:55
Confused

Never track a bike you can't afford to bin emotionally or even monetarily 

I have a mate who did just that with his pristine Duc 1098s Tricolure which was the last of the line,it was a cancelled order that had got lost in the inventory then found in the Ducati factory a couple of years after all the rest of the limited edition had been allocated and sold.

A highside cost him more than a reasonable track bike would have cost.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 10:27
At least it died doing what it loved Ian. A good honourable death. What would have been worse was if it had died on a roundabout in Milton Keynes. Or worse. It could have been happily parked up then reversed over by a Range Rover.

Plus, most crashes should be repairable on track.

On track a good suspension setup, strong motor and a good feeling front brake lever will definitely improve the experience. On the road do you really need much more than a CB125 to keep up with your mates on the way to the pub?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 14:55
Big smile   The 1098 didn't die but it cost about £2500 in parts Ouch
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 16:05
Oof! That's more or less what I paid for my Mille, which is also the most I've ever spent on a vehicle. My current car is an old Impreza I paid £500 for a couple years ago. So spending £2,700 on a bike was really pushing the boat out. To see that gone in repair costs would definitely hurt.

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 17:12
ouch 2.5k repairs is exactly what I'm trying to avoid as it is inevitable that I will come off at some point, 10 or more trackdays now and the last one at snetterton I was hit by another rider but thankfully the stock exhaust took the impact and as I have to run them rather than my nice ones to pass noise regs. At least on the road if Phil the greek in his range rover does decide to try and knock me off as I whizz past sandringham im insured and I won't lose my pride and joy whereas if ( when ) I bin it on track I've lost everything. 

I can understand your point blacklines but I think the rsv makes sense on the road much more than the latest 200bhp monsters you can really have a lot of fun on b roads at sub 90mph during the week when most people are at work.

I also really like cleaning and tinkering with it and its an unusual bike to see on the road around here so she's a keeper for now.

Since starting this thread I've realised that the tow bar is going to be the expensive bit I can get a 7"4" trailer for reasonable money so getting the tow bar sorted in the next few weeks .
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:57
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

At least on the road if Phil the greek in his range rover does decide to try and knock me off as I whizz past sandringham im insured and I won't lose my pride and joy

Ha ha that's true!

Agreed, the RSV is great on the road. I was just meaning if I had 2 bikes I'd keep the higher performance one for the track.

Yeah, getting a tow bar fitted will up the costs a fair bit if your car doesn't already have one. Was lucky mine had one on already, I just needed to wire up the lights to it by splitting off from the lights on the back of the car.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 14:24
Adam,

If you are still looking for a trailer the landlord of the village pub has a horsebox sized trailer he is selling.

It's on a substantial chassis fully enclosed with the back door folding down as a loading ramp.
He uses it for outside bars and I use it when I need to move a dead Tuono.  So that'll be the 8th then..

It tows really nicely, needs a good clean, don't think you would get two bikes in but one is easy, it will be cheap.

Fuggers

Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 22:54
Phil that sounds very interesting! Is it single axle and un braked? Im restricted to what I can tow because of when I passed my car test. Im at work mate but text me the details if it fits the bill. Top man!
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 01:19
Hi Adam , as much i would like van i can't justify it and i need a car too, so i am going to buying estate car and trailer too. I saw these brand new and they ain't a bad price. 
The trouble is with the collapsible ones you can't anything but the bike. These ain't bad 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 01:30
Morning Rich. Well im one of the 198 watchers on those its a very good price new. I am hoping to get a second hand one tbh but if i have to buy new then that's top of the list. My cab will tow comfortably and it means I wont leave the missus without a car when I'm off having fun but when we go camping it will be hooked up to my trusty old focus estate. 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 08:04
This, possibly a little short?

Or this as a base and build the perfect thing for your needs:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic