rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know where this goes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know where this goes?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 13:05
OK, so last year I had a dreadful knocking on start up that I was convinced was bottom end, Griff convinced me is was the cam chain tensioner and as the oil was clean and it sounded more like that when listened from the left side (strange but true) I changed the tensioner.
Changing the front tensioner was a pig with engine in situ biut finally got it done around other domestic duties and got it back together but it wouldn't even try to fire.
So fast forward several months and as I have a weekend off from providing care for my parents set about getting the old girl up and running.
So with a clear head went into the garage and investigated further and found a 3 pin connector on the left side of the loom by the throttle bodies that wasn't connected but I am buggered if I can see what it would connect to. Colours are grey, blue/white & Green.
Anyone know what it is and where it goes or have a wiring diagram?

I would post a picture but buggered if I can, christ I am getting old

Fuggers

Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 13:14
Here is the offending connector

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 14:14
Hey buddy good to see you back. I  can't remember off the top of my head but I'm out in the cave this evening so I'll have a look for you.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 14:20
dont have my diagram on me for when i converted mine to track but from memory it looks like the side stand switch connector
Gen 1 Edwards Carbon Airbox 57mm Throttle Bodies and Redrat Collector Club Racer
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 14:34
only white connection I can think of is fuel pump mate but im sure you've already checked that

mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 15:07
Originally posted by Quinn Quinn wrote:

dont have my diagram on me for when i converted mine to track but from memory it looks like the side stand switch connector

Colours are different on my gen1 but i agree connector looks like side stand and it's in the correct place
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 15:47
Originally posted by mixdrive1 mixdrive1 wrote:

Originally posted by Quinn Quinn wrote:

Colours are different on my gen1 but i agree connector looks like side stand and it's in the correct place

As Carl says it looks like that to me too. I believe colours aredifferent gen one to gen two 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 15:55
I agree on it looks like the sidestand, it#s definitely a connector that plugs into another cable mounted connector as opposed to plugging into the TB's, but is that connection really up by the throttle bodies?
If so that would definitely stop it running and be a simple fix.
Will work from the sidestand up and see if I can find the mating part
Cheers all, good to be back and motivated to getting the beast back on the road
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 15:56
Originally posted by Fugly Fugly wrote:

I agree on it looks like the sidestand, it#s definitely a connector that plugs into another cable mounted connector as opposed to plugging into the TB's, but is that connection really up by the throttle bodies?
If so that would definitely stop it running and be a simple fix.
Will work from the sidestand up and see if I can find the mating part
Cheers all, good to be back and motivated to getting the beast back on the road

Yes it is. It should run up to the clutch switch and it meets in the middle on the left side of the bike and then down to the switch 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 15:59
yes mate its up in that area if it is which im 99% positive. As said wire colours are different than mine but would definitely explain why she wont fire up
Gen 1 Edwards Carbon Airbox 57mm Throttle Bodies and Redrat Collector Club Racer
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 18:33
If the safety circuit is active the dash should indicate the stand symbol and say no start.  It looks like a stand type connector but have never seen that wiring colour on one so I have my doubts.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 20:19
Hi Spoonz,
Thanks for that, I haven't tried to fire it up today as was investigating the rogue connector.
I will power her up but am sure there was no error message on the dash, I can also presumably put the stand up (on a paddock stand) and see if the dash shows anything.
I will also chase the side stand wiring up from the stand.
Thanks for all the help
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 16:51
OK quick update, this connector came out of the loom but wasn't the sidestand switch.  However, I did discover it connects to a second connecter that comes from the switch cluster on the bars so all good.
What wasn't so good is the old girl still didn't want to wake up, I have a spark at the rear plug and the plug is wet (pump also primes) so should fire.
A quick call to Griff who said throw a pair of plugs at it and she'll go! 
I'm a little sceptical but he's forgotten more about Apes than I'll ever learn sowaiting for those to arrive and I'll giver it another go.
Failing that Griff said he'll sort it so fingers crossed
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 18:42
Good luck Phil fingers crossed. 
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 19:00
have you tried the wide open throttle trick?

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 08:50
Hi RRB,
How you doing matey.
No I didn't, I'll wait for the new plugs to arrive from AP and see how she goes, never had tyo do that previously so will give it a chance, if that fails then I'll give it a go and if that fails it's in a van to Tamworth.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 09:26
does that work on a Gen2???
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 14:20
No idea, never had the need to try it before, it always turn once and fired on the second stroke (until this week)
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 14:58
I thought it was for gen1 with the idle control where as the Gen2 doesn't. Cant do any harm trying it though mate you can be the test monkey. 
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 19:56
hope you get it sorted buddy,had enough on your plate,
so your due a bit of good news imo.

its sad enough when your pride and joy doesnt fire up.
i had it at xmas,im still awaiting a spare day to fit 150a solenoid and new lithium battery.
life gets in the way many times,specialy family.
over xxmas,ive had brother in law with an attempted suicide and the wiffes gran succuming to lung cancer a week before xmas day.
hang in there buddy.got my fingers crossed for you that she'll fire 1st time with the new plugs.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 14:21
OK, so new plugs went in on the weekend and no change Disapprove

Spoke to Griff in the week who advised sticking a jumper battery on it and cranking it with the throttle wide open which delivered nowt Disapprove

So Friday the 8th it's taking a ride in a trailer to Tamworth, I'm convinced its something silly I did when changing the cam chain tensioner so will take 5 mins for him to instantly spot and spend an hour ripping the piss out of me which I would be very happy with.

At least this way I won't sink into a circle of no time or inclination to attack it and  miss more time with it.  I want it up and running and get some naughty V-Twin vibes back in my life to remind me to live a little when the opportunity presents itself.

Plus I can get started on my other project that I bought to cheer myself up and give me some focus yet haven't touched yet.

Roll on the 8th
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 16:57
That's a bugger mate but hopefully the G man finds the issue quickly. What's the new project?
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 17:05
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

What's the new project?
beat me too it

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 17:17
ohhh we love a project Big smile
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 18:29
hahahahaha

It's a 75 Moto Guzzi 850T (only made for 2 years before upgraded to the T3, this one apart from the dodgy seat had been in a guys basement since 1980 in Canada where I imported it from.

Chrome is all good and overall it's in good shape, too good to butcher for a cafe racer (which I'd like) so will be restored as original.  Although the dog-sheet brown colour will change to a correct period red.

I'll do a thread for it once we are under way
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 15:51
Cool Phil I like that. How the hell did you find it? Was it difficult to get back to Blighty?

Definitely get a resto thread up. 
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 14:04
One of our US based sales guys asked me about it as he has no idea about bikes.

It was his father inlaws bike, the last time it was on the road was 1980 and apparantly he took it off the road at the start of winter and put it in his basement so he could clean it up a bit.  It never came out.

He went into a home last year and his daughter and her husband cleared the house but didn't know what to do about the bike as it didn't run so asked me what I thought he should do.  I jokingly said sell to me cheap as it clearly doesn't run.  They just wanted shot of it so asked me for an offer, I said if it was rideable then I guess it would be worth about $3-4K but it hadn't run for more than 35 years so could be a money pit.  He suggested $2K and I said it was a bit much of a gamble but then realised he was talking Canadian $!  I didn't realise they were different so looked at the exchange rate and it was 1100 gbp so I bit his arm off.

They got it out  of the basement and delivered it to a sea freight company who put it in a container and delivered it to Tilbury for 330gbp including taxes and registering it on the NOVA system.  It sustained a little light damage in transist but nothing to worry about.

Once the Ape is back from Griffs I will get the Guzzi on the bench and start pulling it apart but it's going to need a complete strip.

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 22:00
wow what a story! Look forward to seeing the progress buddy that has to be the bargain of the century. Ridiculous price and way cheaper than I expected to import. Thats some impressive wheeler dealing Thumbs Up
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 17:11
Hi all,
A bit of an update.
Took the old girl up to Griff last Friday, who confirmed it had a spark and the plugs were wet so was confused and donned his deer stalker and got the magnifying glass out.....
Transpires that I hadn't connected the ground connection back to the battery for the quickshifter.  Once reconnected the bastid barked straight into life.
I have never been happier to have been a dick! LOL
However,once I got it home I tried to start it, would it start, would it  mein arsch.
So have ordered a booster pack to ensure I have maximum cranking current and give it the best chance, other than that we 'll see.
Will keep you posted.
Markymark67 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markymark67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 18:00
Hiya buddy, at least you now know she will start, hopefully it's just sulking because it's not been used in anger for a while, maybe a few trips out, situation allowing of course, and it'll be back to where it was before, good luck with everything.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic