rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oz Wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oz Wheels
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 23:12
I know there are threads about this already but had a look and still not 100% so i will ask anyway.
Is the way to check for the forged wheels from a Gen 1 MilleR that they are stamped OZ inside the spoke recess,and Gen2 are not but are stamped on the rim?
What about the heavier cast ones,any markings to tell them apart?
Thanks in advance
Simon

mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 00:03
I thought all OZ wheels are stamped in the rims, gen1 and gen2 upto 2008, the oz were all anodised, Top pic is OZ, bottom is cast, notice the triangular effect on the cast spoke, that' how to tell the difference Thumbs Up 
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 00:30
Oz's are stamped in the spoke recess.
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 00:40
Originally posted by mixdrive1 mixdrive1 wrote:

I thought all OZ wheels are stamped in the rims, gen1 and gen2 upto 2008, the oz were all anodised, Top pic is OZ, bottom is cast, notice the triangular effect on the cast spoke, that' how to tell the difference Thumbs Up 

The ones i am thinking of have been painted or coated not sure which yet,and i am a dolt because i can't really tell the difference between those spokes pictured,but was sure the gen1 were stamped in the spoke recess but needed confirmation,not sure gen2 but have seen some stamped or engraved on the rim lip,not sure what they are?
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 03:08
Some of the early OZ's are painted.

Stamped into the square spoke recess.

I think late 03R onwards had it on the rim.

The OZ's fitted to radial forks are 5mm wider. So won't fit axial forks. If you have radial forks however, you can fit the earlier wheel with 2.5mm disc spacers each side.

I really can't remember, but got a feeling the sprocket sits 5mm over on the gen 2?

Question everything.
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 04:09
I'm wanting a set for my Gen1 axial caliper model track bike,i seem to think if fitting Gen2 Oz wheels you can get away with the rear but the front needs 2.5mm  taking off each side disc mounting faces.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 06:09
or machine the calipers 2.5mm 

Gen1 oz’s Are stamped in the spoke after that they were made by maglatech or something under licence and have the stamping on the rim 

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:55
Looks like these have no Oz markings but Aprilia stamped in the recess with some date code E10917 which seems to be from a 2009 model but wondering if they will be the heavy ones.
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 17:17
I could be wrong but i think aprilia only signed an 8 year contract with oz so if its 2009 it may have been made by PIAGIO under license so not stamped oz. I think v4 rims fit upto 2012 but also could be wrong, the most valuable oz rims are 2000 to 2002 as they will fit all rsv2 and rsv4 upto 20012 with spacers, post me a pic on fb or post up here if you are unsure of the ones your looking at Simon. 
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 17:59
Originally posted by simonb simonb wrote:

Looks like these have no Oz markings but Aprilia stamped in the recess with some date code E10917 which seems to be from a 2009 model but wondering if they will be the heavy ones.

Sounds like these are the standard OZ alikes from the later Gen2's

They look the same but are heavier,as said the most valuable OZ are the early (up to 2003) ones as they can be spaced to fit anything.

Unfortunately these are becoming scarcer especially the fronts due to age and accidents.

These wheels can be either anodized or painted and feature a raised profile around the rim between the pokes.  I think later Gen2 's are flatter here

Gen 1's are stamped OZ in the spokes
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 19:42
Originally posted by simonb simonb wrote:

If Aprilia is stamped on them then they are the heavier cast wheels. 

All the gen later forged ones are stamped on the left side of the rim with the words 'forged' 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic