rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

battery choice ...again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 09:00
I've never used those. Would you consider them as reliable as a normal soldered joint  and are there various quality of the connectors around? i.e. the proper stuff vs cheapo unreliable stuff from you know where?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 09:10
I've been using them for a while and never had a problem and you can bet they're all made in China.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:52
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

I've been using them for a while and never had a problem and you can bet they're all made in China.
 Hi Hemi,  i bought one because of you when i saw on here that you was using them, and now i am a convinced that is the way forward . What I would like to know is where people have got the idea that it ruins sprag clutches?  If anything it's probably safer with the Lithium a they spins the motor the same speed and then stop unlike the lead acid when it runs down it spins the motor slower.
Griff sells them at Ap so he must think that they are no threat to the sprag clutches. 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:21
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

I guess you were talking about the connectors (Rather than the batteries dog was referring to) and yes that's true but as we know with many products, the Chinese are more then capable of making quality goods, especially when managed by western companies. However when left to their own devices they often cut corners to save a few pennies.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 13:04
This is an amazing video , showing a Lithium battery left in a freezer overnight . I doubt a lead acid would stand up to the same punishment . 
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 20:23
new 150a starter and lithium battery and battery status indicator lead final fitted ready for mot on 15th feb.

was good to hear the old girl fire up again.
instant start up in mille-seconds.superb noise too.
damn, i love this bike.

were going to have lots of fun and cracking days out this year!
cheers for the pointers everyone.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 22:20
I fitted the extension lead with the display led's in it as well,but tbh I think I only bothered lifting the rear seat and checking it once.

After a while you just except that the engine will burst into life after a couple of months of inactivity LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 23:42
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

new 150a starter and lithium battery and battery status indicator lead final fitted ready for mot on 15th feb.

was good to hear the old girl fire up again.
instant start up in mille-seconds.superb noise too.
damn, i love this bike.

were going to have lots of fun and cracking days out this year!
cheers for the pointers everyone.
Another convert 😂,i knew you would be impressed.  On Facebook they are saying that these lithiums are a threat to the sprag clutches , the way it spins that engine it's a less of a threat than any lead acid. It's the way forward , some people like hemi grasped it early and i am glad that i got one in the end. My batteries in my impact wrench used to last about half a day scaffolding, now these  new Lithiums can last up to nearly two days and they are getting smaller. 
It's progress that is for sure , if you want to get a Yusa go ahead but these Lithiums do things that a lead acid can't. 
Also they are only getting better , i don't even look at it as a battery anymore but a piece of plastic that weighs nothing that starts the bike. Sometimes in life you got to check it out yourself 😂
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 07:34
im going to stick the shido in today looking forward to hear the motor spin over quick with instant start instead of a few revolutions only down side with me purchase is i got the noco genius 3500 and it dont seem to work i had to buy an adaptor plug for it when i plugged it in the lights came on then went out and would not display so i presume it is faulty any one here have one of these
Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:11
always used the traditional lead acid battery on my 2000 RSV mille, but after another 1 has failed I will probably go for a Shido LTX14-BS Lion, just wondering on which Noco G3500 should I go for, 1.1, 3.5 or 7.2 Amps ?

Cheers
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 13:49
I got the 3.5 with the battery as a package.   It's never been out of the box as I've never needed to charge the battery.

I bought these in 2017 and as the battery was charged when it arrived I just fitted it and basically forgotten about it ever since.

It didn't make any difference to the bike starting though,my bike always started when the first piston got to firing point,no turning over as such even with the old lead acid.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 15:19
just put my shido in but it did not come charged there is a little button on them that says what state of charge it is in but obviously aint accurate the noco 3500 is well put together
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 20:00
i was told to charge it initialy,just to make sure its 100% fully charged.
doing that took all of 4 mins!!

i bought the battery over a month ago and it had just sat in my wardrobe.
put it on charge again before fitting to the bike and it was still full!

my noco 3500 has worked with no issues,just a pain cycling over to the lithium side 
but ive only used it twice,so ill get the hang of it quickly no doubt.
good to nip in the garage and just look at the connector hanging ffrom under the seat and see what level of charge the batterys in and also good not to have to hook it up constantly to a trickle charger!

battery was a luvly fit as well,snug as a bug in a rug,
fitted the supplied blocks to the bottom to make it the same height and in it slipped,no free play at all.
much better stronger connecting eyelets than usual trickle charges too imo.

fresh mot ticket on her this week then shes covered all through the year.
cant wait to go to work on it when the weather picks up.
last year,i was sat in traffic in the boiling heat crying as all the bikes slipped round the traffic...not this year.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 09:37
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

i was told to charge it initialy,just to make sure its 100% fully charged.
doing that took all of 4 mins!!

i bought the battery over a month ago and it had just sat in my wardrobe.
put it on charge again before fitting to the bike and it was still full!

my noco 3500 has worked with no issues,just a pain cycling over to the lithium side 
but ive only used it twice,so ill get the hang of it quickly no doubt.
good to nip in the garage and just look at the connector hanging ffrom under the seat and see what level of charge the batterys in and also good not to have to hook it up constantly to a trickle charger!

battery was a luvly fit as well,snug as a bug in a rug,
fitted the supplied blocks to the bottom to make it the same height and in it slipped,no free play at all.
much better stronger connecting eyelets than usual trickle charges too imo.

fresh mot ticket on her this week then shes covered all through the year.
cant wait to go to work on it when the weather picks up.
last year,i was sat in traffic in the boiling heat crying as all the bikes slipped round the traffic...not this year.

No there's a man who's got the bike bug back big time. Nothing worse than sitting in a cage with bikes buzzing past on the move and having fun. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:30
hi bigun did you have to get a plug adapter for your noco also when you say about putting it on to the lithium cycle do you have to keep pressing the button to get it over to it i couldn't get mine to go over to it and it didn't work with the plug adapter only when I plugged it into my dad's electric shave socket 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by constant constant wrote:

hi bigun did you have to get a plug adapter for your noco also when you say about putting it on to the lithium cycle do you have to keep pressing the button to get it over to it i couldn't get mine to go over to it and it didn't work with the plug adapter only when I plugged it into my dad's electric shave socket 
Mine came with a normal plug, unless your one is an European one.  To move it to Lithium is fiddly , i found it goes across easier if connected to the battery . Once set on Lithium it will stay on that till you change it. I hope that helps.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 14:03
cheers dog 78 yes that helps I'm sending it back tomorrow and get a refund and order it from halfords instead so it'll have a 3 pin plug cheers 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 14:08
You are welcome Constant,  it's funny i had the same problem when trying to change it to Lithium . But when i connected it to a battery it was fine,  it only takes a few seconds to change. It's the only thing i wasn't happy with , but now i got a solution to it,  there's no problem .👍
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 14:13
They sell.it on Amazon too £51.95
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 14:30
Originally posted by constant constant wrote:

it didn't work with the plug adapter only when I plugged it into my dad's electric shave socket 

Check your Noco carefully and where it came from to check if it is the real thing - and DON'T plug it in to a shaver socket!

It's been illegal for over two decades to sell items in the UK without the correct UK spec 3 pin plug already fitted. There are one or two exceptions like shavers and electric toothbrushes but not many. There are a number of reasons that you shouldn't use a 2 to 3 pin adaptor. Firstly because of potential earthing issues that can cause fires to break out when using an unsuitable adaptor. Many (Most) 2 to 3 pin adaptors do not have have an earth connection as they are only intended for use with the excepted items like shavers so using them for other appliances will be dangerous. Neither do the the 2 pin plugs have a fuse built in so there is no overload protection on the socket outlet or household wiring system and that's definitely not something you want on an item you may leave operating unattended and out of sight for weeks on end.

The electrical systems in the UK work differently to the rest of the world, the following brief article might be of interest.

Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 19:08
Well bit the bullet and bought a Noco G3500 today, getting a Shido LTX14-BS later in the week 
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 19:45
legend that explain things when i got it i plugged it in with the adaptor the light on the charger came on and then went out so i got another adaptor and the same happened again never new that about the 2 pin plug the seller must be aware of this thanks for the info
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 21:25
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Well bit the bullet and bought a Noco G3500 today, getting a Shido LTX14-BS later in the week 
Just remember to turn on set of spacers on their side and it will fit perfect , may just have to elongate the holes very slightly on the retaining bracket but it's worth it for the bigger capacity battery. You will be well happy with both buys .
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 16:29
i found that i just click(cycle) through to the end then kept my finger pressed down,it then jumps across to the lithium settings.

took the old girl for the mot today,started first time and its not been on charge for a good few weeks,sat in the cold garage.

bloody cool out there but great to get a blast on the old girl,sounded and went like a rocket.
turned many a head lol,the "normal" folk arent use to hearing/seeing such beasts (both bike and rider lol) at this time of year!

anyway,straight through mot with flying colours,all set now,waiting on the weather.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 16:33
Happy days BIG UN, few more weeks and we can enjoy our bikes again 👍✌️
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 17:38
true mate,was fantastic blasting up the country roads and overtaking the dawdling cagers.
bloody rusty though lol,been a good while since i rode last,only ridden this bike twice before she had to go into hibernation and it was a good year before that since my last bike.
add in brand new tyres not yet scrubbed in lol....but it was still awesome!!
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 17:51
Hey BIG UN  i hardly got any riding in last year,  fact it was pathetic 😂,  and when i went to Donnington in July i had about 3 short rides . But this year i am hoping to rectify that health depending . We will both have to get out more this year by the sound of it.  But you are sorted know so that rust will soon come off ✌️👍
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 18:31
lol thats right old pal.
itll soon come back,greasy roads+new tyres+1st ride since september=twitchy bum time lol
but it soon came back.warm tarmac and them kfc bucket size chicken strips will soon be gone mate.

im hoping to use the bike more this year than ever,and get to some events and races,cadwell,donny ect.
got a new bike,new helmet and new lease of life plus a new job on continental 4 0n 4 0ff day shifts,
much better than nights so theres plenty of riding day opportunitys.
Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 21:09
Spacers do they come with the battery or do people just use some foam or similar?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 21:34
They came with mine
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic