rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trackday noise regs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trackday noise regs
    Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 23:25
Good evening,

Does anybody know what an RSV gen 2 blows with standard cans on a static and ride by noise test? 

Currently running GPR end cans but thinking of purchasing a set of standard cans for the tight regulated tracks.

Cheers. 
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:56
Standard cans on my gen 1 blew between 96dB and 98dB static for me. I would imagine gen 2 wouldn't be any louder but am sure someone will come along soon to confirm. Either way you should get a little more leeway with stock cans anyway. Particularly as the baffle is not removable so it's not going to accidentally fall out in the paddock and get 6dB louder.

Standard cans are nice and quiet so you don't have that worry but they are also really heavy. A re-pack and decent baffle might get you through without needing to fall back on the stock cans.
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:07
Don't know about standard but my gen 2 Tuono blew 97db static at a No Limits day at Mallory with a set of Mivv GP's on(db killers in obviously..😀
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 12:53
I've got a set of DB killers for my GPR,s I'm just nervous of booking a TD and it failing. Sleepy

Two chances I guess. LOL
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 13:50
Hi Sam. I bought a set of stock cans for my Gen2 so I didn't have to worry about failing the dreaded noise test. They blow 98db and weigh a ton!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 15:26
Just make sure the standard ones haven't been shortened or cored haha.

I bought an aftermarket exhaust from a member on here. It's full length so should be on the quieter side. With a baffle fitted it does 102dB and without it does 107dB. He said they should do 98dB with and 102dB without so I reckon they need a re-pack (though the end is welded, not riveted..).

So long as your GPRs are around 450mm - 550mm long and have fresh packing you should be good for most circuits.
PaulW View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 15:27
Just looked back through my old notes (yeah sad I know....)
Gen 2, Snetterton static noise test 5k revs 
Standard cans 96
Akra Ti 103
Leo Ti unbaffled 105, baffled 101

Oh and for giggles, my old 2005 Blade, Arrow unbaffled, blew 119 static @ 7k revs at Silverstone. They wouldn't let me out to play....
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 16:06

Every track suffers with the same problem, land near racetracks is cheap, so housebuilders get planning permission to build next door !
 Then Mr & Mrs Arsehole move in and complain about noise. They do it if they move in next door to big airports/football grounds/race tracks/or where parking is a premium (and moan about their space in front of their house being used ! )
 If the house is cheaper than you might expect you need to do research in to why !
 NIMBY seems to be a growing mental illness in Britain.....
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 18:26
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

Just looked back through my old notes (yeah sad I know....)
Gen 2, Snetterton static noise test 5k revs 
Standard cans 96
Akra Ti 103
Leo Ti unbaffled 105, baffled 101

Oh and for giggles, my old 2005 Blade, Arrow unbaffled, blew 119 static @ 7k revs at Silverstone. They wouldn't let me out to play....

Awesome Paul, thanks for the info. 

Cheers to the rest of you, I'll risk it with the GPRs and see how we go. Roll on 2019 LOLBig smileLOL
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 22:09
But who actually holds it at the revs they want you to??
They say 5 you hold 4!
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 12:32
You do at Cadwell if one of the noise testers is watching your rev counter as another does the checks Wink

I seem to recall my Carbon Scorpion with Db killer ran around 104Db static at those revs which they said was very quiet compared with some.

This was on a corporate sponsored trackday so they may have been a bit more lenient,don't know.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 13:45
there are noisy track days  you can do
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 08:45
Originally posted by colinmeadows colinmeadows wrote:

there are noisy track days  you can do

Very few now Colin. In fact, I think Donnington is the only place that holds a noisy day now and it's expensive. I'm riding it in July if you fancy it? "The Aprilia Factory" is having another loud day there. It was ace last year. 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 16:27
I've been to Cadwell a few times and I think I've been asked to hold a different rpm each time. I think lowest was 5k and highest was 7k. Each time I told them it was a 1000cc 2 cylinder..

The 105 limit there is pretty generous to be fair. I failed once with baffle out at 107dB but that was relatively loud. People a few bikes ahead in the noise testing queue were looking round to see what the racket was about. 
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 23:12
guys i have a gen 1 r with a very very loud akrapovic system on im looking to book silverstone for april 19 and sound regs have me a bit worried, what would i expect db wise from this? there also doesn't look to be a way to pop a baffle in!
Gazza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jaffa Cake Dealer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 15:09
Being three and a half months away you've enough time to get some slip in baffles for it, though you didn't say if it's a single or twin set up. My slip on Akra with a Red rat mod manifold makes 93-97 depending on which track you're at. If the can's been on the bike for a while you could also repack it, always helps a bit. 
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 15:18
Good going that. Would love to consistently be below 98dB while still fueling nicely.

I was a bit worried that getting the collector mod done would make noise testing worse. Obviously not for you. Maybe it lifts the dip in the curve without adding much extra noise.

Noise reading aside I think RSVs come across louder on track because they have a different tone to most. At Parcmotor I did an instructed session with Liam Marchant on his ex-BSB ZX10R and he was saying he could hear me following over the top of his bike. And that was with my stock exhaust that never blows over 98dB Shocked. Wonder what the unbaffled homemade job (107dB) would have sounded like to other riders..
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 23:30
Blacklines, who are you booking Silverstone with? Is it the international circuit? From what I can work out they run two different tracks. I'm.guessing international is the F1 track? 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 08:56
Think you have me confused with someone else Sam because I haven't booked Silverstone.

I'm currently crippled with debt after a big house reno so my bike will probably be SORN all year. Got Catalunya booked in for September though and that might be my only time on track (or even on my bike) this year.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 09:27
Ah yes, sorry Blacklines the Silverstone bit was for Jim. 

Bloody houses aye!!!! How dare they suck up all of our play money. At least the bike will sit in the garage not eating or drinking ready for the following season. 

These European track days seem very, very appealing. Do they run noise regs? 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 09:52
No noise regs at most (if not all) circuits in Spain. Some bloody loud bikes there too. I think some people exclusively do euros and have Panigale's etc. that would never be able to get out on a UK circuit. Definitely recommend giving it a go. 3 days straight at a GP circuit will bring anyone's riding on a huge amount I reckon. 
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:11
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

No noise regs at most (if not all) circuits in Spain. Some bloody loud bikes there too. I think some people exclusively do euros and have Panigale's etc. that would never be able to get out on a UK circuit. Definitely recommend giving it a go. 3 days straight at a GP circuit will bring anyone's riding on a huge amount I reckon. 

Absolutely! I think you get a lot more bang for your buck than in the UK. Not to mention the 90% chance of glorious sunshine. 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 16:55
Bang for your buck is £50 for 4 evening sessions at Cadwell for me. I went to Parcmotor and spent almost a grand all up for 3 days on track. That does include spending money, hire cars, flights etc. as well as the track day itself. So probably not best bang for your buck but the experience is another level.

It's a different atmosphere. Lot more laid back. If people get too pissed the night before you might find you get the track to yourself the next morning. With 3 days on track people are much more relaxed. Think I saw 2 red flags in 3 days there.

I also found the average rider is probably wealthier than you'd find in the paddock in the UK. Many exclusively do euro trips and do many each year. Like the UK track dayer who loses interest in the road, many euro track riders give up on UK tracks. I went with an old member of this forum and we felt like the poorest there haha.

The tracks are bigger and better too. Parcmotor made Cadwell feel like a go kart track in comparison. I know braking for Park will feel like nothing after that back straight at Parcmotor. It's also great leaving your bike locked up in the pit garages over night. No messing about unloading and loading each day.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 07:43
I would love to be within a stoneas throw of a track. My local track is Llandow, it's probably a 45 second lap and they only run on the odd Saturday. 
Everything else is a 3+ hour drive for me. 

I'm thinking of going up to Cadwell to do an evening session followed by a full day to make it worth my while. Cadwell is 4 hours away Sleepy

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:47
well worth it though mate Cadwell park is a cracking circuit you will love it. Im very lucky to have snetterton 20mins from home you should try it mate one of the best in the country really quick place. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:52
Cadwell is one of the more interesting UK tracks but they seem to be getting very expensive these days if the Aprilia Donnington bash is anything to go by.

European 3 or more day trips are another world,although as someone said can be very expensive when food,beer and flights are added,especially if they coincide with school holidays.

But four trips to a potentially rainy Uk circuit with probably a windswept paddock and crap facilities or 3 full days in 4* luxury hotel and long days on continental MotoGp circuit with more guaranteed weather? Hmm 🤔

Ideally a mixture of both if you can afford it I suppose

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 11:43

Being a tight Yorkshireman I made this spreadsheet a while back for the main UK circuits. Track day fees should still be more or less correct but some circuits will vary depending on quiet/noisy or weekday/weekend. I used Google maps for the distances (which are both ways there and back).
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 21:46
Not sure i would want to do a spreadsheet, I think it may make me cry every time i look at it. 
mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 22:09
I've never done a euro day Embarrassed, Keep getting asked to but i don't think it's for me, i start to boil in my leathers anything over 17c plus the mille is a little slow in the dry Cry

What i will say is my favourite and most memorable track days were always in the worst of UK weather. 

Mallory my first time there and first ever time on wets the ducks were swimming on track but it blew my mind how much grip they gave

Snett 300 in the wet , racing another lad on a mille lost both tyres twice in 1 lap before locking the front into corner 2 and running straight off

Cadwell in winter it was soo cold they had gritted the track and every lap both tyres slid on the grip at the apex of corner 1

All the dry days and i can't remember a thing about them! LOL
current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic