rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Owners Bike Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2003 RSV 1000 R Factory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 12:06
Good move, the brake works better and as you say, much neater.

Snap!

Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 12:57
Originally posted by Hangry Hangry wrote:

Very nice mate.how are the rearsets thinking about getting some myself?

Well worth the money, if I could only mod 3 things I'd definitely upgrade to AP rearsets.
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 13:00
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Good move, the brake works better and as you say, much neater. Snap!

Looking good. Interesting position of the brake pedal 'return stop'. Makes me think it could move mine lower down too. 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 13:24
It depends on how you ride / leg and foot position really. Also note I have my plates upside down to allow me to lower the pegs more as I'm tall.

Whatever you do make sure the return stop does not take up the free play in the actuating rod. Some careful adjusting of the rod length was required to achieve this setup.
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 14:02
Hadn't noticed the plates are upside down, thanks for mentioning. Presumably the free-play is for fluid expansion?
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 16:56
Looking great! 

Nice to see updates and lovely clear pictures.

I've an RSV4 rear master I've never got around to fitting but should really. 

Suffering with a fractured left pelvis acetabulum and and horrible sprain to my right foot-which is actually causing more complications than the pelvis injury. So have time on my hands not mobility 😆
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 18:11
Thanks a lot, project threads are useless without photos :) All the best with the road to recovery, if it was bike related hope it hasn't put you off.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 18:17
Originally posted by Jambon Jambon wrote:

Thanks a lot, project threads are useless without photos :) All the best with the road to recovery, if it was bike related hope it hasn't put you off.

Much appreciated 👍🏻

Bike related but no it hasn't put me off. Itching to get back out and at it 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 21:14
Originally posted by Jambon Jambon wrote:

Presumably the free-play is for fluid expansion?

Yep, the manual specifies a figure on the standard rear master of between 0.5 and 1mm. People have got rid of the free play to try to make a rear brake work better and then found the rear brake locking solid when expansion comes into play. That is not the route to fixing an ineffective rear brake!
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:14
Maybe not the most exciting update but... fork service, with SKF oil and dust seals now done ready for the Spring.

Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 13:26
Nice bike.
Bet it sounds good with those cans.
Shake'n bake
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 20:25
Thanks, the v-twin rumble never gets old :)
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 15:14
Shure doesn't
ClapClap
Shake'n bake
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 19:19
First ride of the year Big smile

Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 08:58
Lucky lucky man...... still waiting to drive mine
Shake'n bake
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 08:58
Ps how was it Wink
Shake'n bake
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 10:58
Originally posted by Ice-mille Ice-mille wrote:

Ps how was it Wink

Very welcome as here in the UK we've been told to self-isolate, the bike was just like the big grizzly bear I remember. When do you think your first ride will be? April?
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 11:27
With COVID-19 think not riding is getting to me, decided to take the rear wheel out and give the swingarm, chain and chainwheel a proper clean. Also reset the suspension to what's in the manual, I forgot how stiff it is. In the process realised 4 rings, instead of 3, should be showing through the top yoke so sorted that too. The hardest part was putting up with the kids next door screaming for 12hrs straight.

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:23
Interesting point on the rings. 

Gen2 manual upto 2005 has 4 rings road and 5 track and later 06 onwards have 3 road and 4 track. 

I set my race bike to 4 initially and it’s now 5 though I’ve not ridden it the person who did reckons it’s great. 
My 07 road bike is now at 4 because on the carbon rims it felt flighty and not so planted so I’ve dropped to 4 to get the weight over the front. 

Did Aprilia change the angle or something between earlier and later models ? 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 13:59
Always proper admired your early bike Jambon 

Super clean and well looked after. Having an early Gen2 and a later one I really can see the 03-05 factory in particular is impeccably finished compared to the later models. 

Stunning bike mate 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 14:21
That's why I love this place... interesting about the rings, I wonder what the reason was to change it? The only thing I can think of is the swingarm recall/update but presume this didn't change any geometry. Coincidentally after this weekend's cleaning I can confirm my swingarm was made in 06, so it's definitely been changed like Aprilia told me on the phone before buying the bike.

Very kind words! I don't know too much about Aprilia like many on here, but you can tell they were on a roll when they started manufacturing the Gen 2. Didn't realise there was a noticeable difference over the years but still do look at the bike and the level of finish impresses me. Thanks for the compliments!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 14:38
Probably about the best years quality wise,I think the accountants started having more say towards the end of the twin era.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 18:30
I was going to do this next year but with lockdown thought I'd attempt the starter upgrades on my to-do list: 

- Shido LTX14-BS lithium battery
- Starter solenoid upgrade (150 amp)
- Upgraded starter cables
- Noco Genius G3500 smart battery charger

I followed Spoonz's very helpful instructions and managed to fit everything in an hour without the odometer resetting, winning I thought. Then disconnected the battery to add the eyelet cables that let me charge the battery quickly and it wiped the mileage. Never mind eh it's not the first time but at least the bike it much eager to start. If any future buyer is reading this, the odometer was 3,198 (on 17th May 2020) before the reset

Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 08:06
From Monday at Bedford Autodrome

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 08:44
Looks like you had a great day out dude 

Never been to Bedford. 

Any good? 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 09:05
It's my local and a great track, probably one of the safest in the UK. Long but technical and being an airfield circuit means there's ample run-off with minimal things to crash into. Also a few sweeping corners that suit the low down grunt of an RSV.
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 14:21
After a few weeks of moving furniture in the car to our new house, today the last item arrived. I'm very excited to finally have a brick garage instead of a (albeit posh) shed. 

My RSV's idle has always been a little lumpy but presumed was just a big-twin thing, which the dyno confirmed, but the last few days it's got worse so decided to investigate... Removing the nose fairing I spotted the anti-return valve and the solenoid valve tube weren't connected to the nose air intake, so put it all back to stock. Fired the bike up and idle seems smoother and the small low down flat spot has gone. Seems promising. Just a shame I'll have to wait months for the weather to improve to properly test it.

How I found it

What I've reverted it back to

Honda XR125
Kawasaki ZXR 400
Kawasaki ZX-6RR
Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 15:36
Yeah that’s all wrong isn’t it 

Someone may of been trying to bypass the flapper so it stays open. Waste of time in general and yeah it will run and idle much nicer now. 

Good spot 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Jambon View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 15:52
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

yeah it will run and idle much nicer now.

You're telling me. Really satisfying to diagnose, investigate, identify then fix it. That never happens without going around the houses!
Honda XR125
Kawasaki ZXR 400
Kawasaki ZX-6RR
Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory
Chesterfield250 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesterfield250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 20:17
Originally posted by davidrsurfer davidrsurfer wrote:

We can forgive the slippers, but that fence needs some creosote urgently.

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic