rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 09:31
Hi everyone I've been looking now at trying a v twin,  the aprilia is ticking the box of what I want. First it was going to be a falco but now I'm more tempted with a gen one rsv.

Currently got a cheap and cheerful bandit 1200. 

Hopefully I'll be able to learn plenty on here 

Matt
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 09:33
morning and welcome! 
Yes this is the place to be. Great sensible real advice and no dickheads like Facebook 

Enjoy 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 14:16
Welcome along to the best forum out there.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 14:25
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

morning and welcome! 
Yes this is the place to be. Great sensible real advice and no dickheads like Facebook 

Enjoy 

+1 on that. Welcome in buddy 👍
born ugly what's your excuse!!
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 17:37
Hi Matt, welcome mate Big smile

Question everything.
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 17:51
Welcome along. Had a bandit 600 myself a long time ago, good bikes the bandits. Would you not be tempted by a tuono given the bandit is a street bike or are you going the sports bike route with the mille, either way great bikes and great fun.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
Ebor matt View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 18:27
cheers everyone for the welcome

I've not looked at many tuono to be honest as the few I did seemed to be more expensive than the rsv and falco.
 Yeah I've had a few different bikes now two fireblades, r6 ,bandit 600 and two 1200s, also had a couple of trail bikes crm 250 and a xr 400 but never a v twin. 

I love the way the aprilia look and all the kit they come with 

Matt
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 18:53
Hi Matt, welcome to a great forum , been just over 3 years since I joined and the help that I have received has been invaluable and have made some great friends.  It will be the same for you enjoy your stay. 
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 20:32
Welcome. You sure do get a lot of nice stuff for not a lot of cash with an Aprilia.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 20:42
welcome buddy.
you wont go wrong with a gen 1 mille pal.
im on my 5th or 6th!
plus 1 gen 1 tuono.
all brilliant bikes.

had many many il4's,mostly blades,r1's and gixer thou but always miss and come back to a mille.
had 2 1200 mk1 bandits too,one of my fave bikes ive owned tbh,
race can,dyno jet and they embarrassed many a "sportsbike" rider!

funnily enough,i just said in another post that when i was looking,the tuono was more cash than a mille!!
guess theyre more popular these days,with the same power as the mille but more usuable for folk that cant get on with sports bikes and a more comfy riding position.

just do the normal extensive checks like any bike purchase,history,reciepts for servicing/valve clearances checked ect,and check she starts good and strong/good battery.
ask if any mods/upgrades have been done like uprated cold cranking amps battery and 150a starter solenoid ect,makes a big difference as if the batterys week ass,it can fook the sprag.

theyre brilliant bikes with a great,solid rotax engine if cared for.
only ever had 1 problem out of all the apes ive had and that was the tuonos battery.
put it on trickle charge as i went on holiday just after buying it,
came back and battery was fekd.
upgraded battery and solenoid and it was perfect ever after.

youll either love em or hate em and want back on a screamy top end il4 lol.
theyre very addictive,the stomp,the noise,the handling,the equipment.10/10 imo.
Drew.D View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew.D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 21:29
Hi mate I'm new to this too only joined through the week. Had some really good advice and help regards my rsv4...... get an rsv1000 ... I've had a gen2 for 6 years and ragged it silly on track all that time... it's been bulletproof handles and stops well... a twins a bit strange to begin with but persevere with it and it will start making sense.... I hate inline fours now lol...
Ebor matt View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 21:33
Wow impressed so far everyone with the welcome. 

Yeah been reading about the battery situation ,sprag clutches etc all good info to know.

Definitely seems the case it's worth holding out for one that's been cared for.

On the gen 1 is it worth paying more for the R version or is normal one good enough for a mere mortal on the road?

Matt 
Blender81 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blender81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 22:13
Hi and welcome, the r wil give you a bit more bling wheels and suspension but obvs are a bit more dollar. I had a bandit 650 oil burner and went onto a standard rsv and i think its mega after a bit of fiddling with the suspension and new tyres etc

Whatever floats yer boat and fits yer budget I guess mate
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 22:42
this is my 1st R version,all the others were normal models and they were fantastic.
after all those,i promised id treat myself next time too the R.
id always wanted the o.z wheels,but id take a tidier non R just as easily mate.

i searched for ages and got a very tidy 02 matte black R with fsh for only 2500 delivered!
that was the same as most tidy late gen 1's were asking.
mines a little up on miles compared to most at 30k,but its very well cared for,loads of reciepts for valve clearances/oil changes/plugs ect,fsh,both keys mint oz rims and bodywork,
and i dont think 30k in 16yrs is high miles anyway,just alot of bikes barely turn a wheel and sit in sellers garages for ages before they decide too sell as theyre just not getting time too ride their bikes.

mines as sweet as a nut,had power commander 3 fitted and chip and collector mod done,with dyno print out for 123bhp at the rear.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 03:12
matt if you get one first thing to do is get a set of johnboys starter cables and 150 starter and you will not have a problem with the sprag and use the torque 
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 03:16
and  then 16/44 sprockets collector from redrat open air box decent can fr200 chip
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 12:39
Welcome Matt, plenty of info on here , enjoy.
Ebor matt View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 14:19
cheers everyone 

Seen a few gen 2 now dropping into the same prices as top gen 1.

Read the mcn reviews though and the gen 2 gets a bit of a slating as it's too much track orientated? Is that the case, is there really that much difference between gen 1 and 2?

Matt
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 14:25
Gen 1 larger and roomier to ride,also perceived be be more grunty in it's power delivery

Gen 2 more modern with more power moved higher up the rev range and a stupid CanBus wiring loom.

I own both a Gen1 Mille and a late Gen2 Tuono and have come to the same conclusion as others before me:   The Gen1 is my favoured ride

If or rather when,I sell a bike it will be the Gen2 Tuono leaving,not the Mille Big smile
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 15:31
yep,loads of room on the gen 1,more so than any other bike ive got my gorilla like frame onboard of.
nice and tall,and good peg placement so even my legs arent bent double.

excellent comfy fast bike.

gen 2 a bit too small and cramped for me,although i do like the looks.
Ebor matt View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 16:39
ah that's good to hear as I'm 6'3 so gen 1 sounds better 
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 17:12
Im 18 stone well probably closer to 20 these days and 6 foot, the Gen 1 fitted perfectly , well alright I looked like an elephant with a roller skate up its bum but the Gen2 just disappeared !!!
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 17:38
try and get a sit on both,im sure some big fellas will say the gen 2 is fine for them,
but i prefer older man sized bikes,newer stuff is made for jockeys ffs.
even if you fit on them,they can look ridiculous.

the gen1 is a beast in all aspects.love em.
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 20:45
Love gen 1s but I'm biased,falco for a comfier ride then spend all your money on upgrades then wish they did a falco r....not the fighter,...
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
A82addict View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A82addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 20:57
I'm 6'3 and the gen1 fits perfectly, bought a spare seat and had it upholstered with more padding for the long runs, had mine now almost 6yrs, longest I've had any one bike..love it..welcome in..
Ebor matt View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 19:49
cheers everyone 

One the gen 1 what's the story with pillions? Is it a strict single seat only as I've read a couple of conflicting stories? 

Read that it had a different subframe ?

Matt
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 21:18
Early 'R' models had a single seat rear subframe. My 01 R certainly did but I swapped it out for a twin seat version from a standard version. I'm pretty sure that later model years went to twin seat but not sure when.

All that being said, the rear seat is not great for the passenger and completely spoils the bike for the rider also. If you are thinking of regular pillion use, the Tuono would be a better buy. I would love a Tuono Racing alongside my RSVR!

BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 06:02
yup,my 02 R is single seat but non R models i had,02 and 03 had pillion seats and pegs.
My mrs loved pillion on my milles,and the torque made it pull easy 2 up.
In fact its one of the best bikes ive had for taking her indoors.
The pillion seats quite wide ,specialy compared to the r1 and blades of the same era ive had.
We loved it,shame shes never been on since our son was born 6yrs ago.
Ebor matt View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebor matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 06:35
ok that could be a part in it, I don't take pillion much on bikes but knowing I can't seems a bit of a put off with it more than likely being only bike
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 08:31
Big Un is right about the seat pad it is very generous I rarely take a passenger either but wanted to have the option which is why I changed mine. It's easy to swap the subframes so don't let that put you off buying an R as they are the better bike.

I think I have a spare twin seat one in the garage to be honest if you end up needing one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic