rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Racing Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Track days 2018/19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSNracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track days 2018/19
    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 19:14
so end of season, got some winter work to sort out so going to list items and hopefully get some top tips/advice to put me on track for 2019 

1. Air box mod ? 
2. EPROM chip ? 
3. Rear sets ? 
4. Exhaust? 
5. Gear selector (finding netrual) 

Thanks in advance
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 11:40
Nice, got plans for winter work myself. Did you get your shock sorted in the end?

Personally I've overlooked the engine for now, just accepting it's going to be down on power compared to many modern bikes. But also accepting that at my limited ability power isn't as important as improving exit speed and how soon I can get back on full throttle.

That said, my plans for engine work if/when I do it would start with chip and power commander to try get best fueling possible. I see real benefits on track with getting a nice smooth initial crack of throttle. I was going to get a Forza chip which from what I gather is a good affordable clone of a Gabro chip.

Based on no experience and only internet gossip I was going to skip over air box mods. The ones I've seen look hacky with the only benefit being extra noise. A chap on Aprilia forum who seems to know what he's talking about said he finds the stock air box and filter unbeatable for all stages of engine tune he's worked with.

I swapped out my stock exhaust after feeling the weight of it. I bought a homemade one from a member on here. It's full length which is what tends to be recommended for these engines. I didn't notice the power difference until taking it on track. Mostly fueling improves. But on track I noticed I was getting wheelies and head shakes where I wasn't previously which suggests better wide open acceleration. Definitely worth doing if you can find one for a reasonable price that is full length and can be baffled. Mine is 102db with baffle, 107db without so baffle in for Cadwell.

Hopefully some more experience people pipe in. My plans this winter are to get track fairing, fix rear brake, strip and re-build front brakes, service shock and forks and maybe have a play with valving on forks too. Ah also have a look at the vacuum slipper clutch - back end was waggling on every down shift in Spain.

MSNracing View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSNracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 18:31
Yeah had the rear shock out serviced and new updated spring, was a lot better but still needs setting up properly as they just put a base setting in.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 20:09
Gen 1 I presume?

I've got the Forza chip, EVO airbox and one of Mark's modded collectors. After a TB balance the bike was transformed in the mid range and pulls smooth from as low as 2.5K. I couldn't say if the airbox mod works or not as I haven't run the standard airbox with the other mods but the combo is certainly excellent. Oh, I've got one of the early air boots as well.

MSNracing View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSNracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 20:37
Yeah gen 1 (1999)

Whatโ€™s the early air boots ? 
Marks collectors ? Is that mhp ? What db level do you get ?
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 20:59
Collectors from Mark - "Redratbike" - makes them based on the Aprilia WSB spec and has dyno sheets to show improvement, see here for contact:

Early air boot. If yours is 1999 you probably have one in there already. Pics below show the differences (Top is later type, bottom is early less restricted type). If you don't have one they are hard to find but do pop up on ebay occasionally:

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 08:44
Those collectors look to be best bang for buck power wise in that they give you back the big dip around 4-6k rpm. Sort of emulates having a 2 - 2 exhaust system but without the extra weight. Not sure about top end power but it definitely looks to be a worthwhile improvement in mid range. Being a tight Yorkshire man I look at the £160 for welding in a link pipe and think "ah I'll just keep it over 6k rpm thanks" haha. Still, probably can't be beaten for hp per £ though.

There's a good deal going over at TDR at the moment on K-Tech suspension upgrades: http://www.trackdayriders.co.uk/tdr/forum/november-ssk-ssrk-piston-spring-super-deal_topic72620.html

£500 will get your forks serviced (including bushes), re-sprung for your requirements and upgraded with K-Tech 20SSRK piston kit. Depending on how quick you are that may be a bargain or a frivolous luxury.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 12:44
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Those collectors look to be best bang for buck power wise in that they give you back the big dip around 4-6k rpm. Sort of emulates having a 2 - 2 exhaust system but without the extra weight.

It's quite astonishing the difference they make. It feels like a bigger engine the driveability is improved so much. No hesitation on the throttle and much smoother. The Forza chip works with it though and is frankly a bit of a bargain at around £50
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 13:44
Originally posted by MSNracing MSNracing wrote:

so end of season, got some winter work to sort out so going to list items and hopefully get some top tips/advice to put me on track for 2019 

1. Air box mod ? 
2. EPROM chip ? 
3. Rear sets ? 
4. Exhaust? 
5. Gear selector (finding netrual) 

Thanks in advance

I would stick with the standard airbox, I even took the k&N filter out of mine (road bike) and put in a stock OE one, they seal much better than a k&n filter and really are not expensive for the amount of times you would be changing, any time I have the top off the airbox it's always cleaner than it used to be with the k &n. I'll take a cleaner airbox over the extra bit of airflow a k&n would give . The collector pipe mod with chip to suit is definitely worth doing.
 Finding neutral?..... is it to make it easier you mean, the clutch jet from a gen2 will help that, might be no harm either checking the plastic one way valve for the slipper clutch (basic and all as it may be) , nothing to do with getting neutral just worth checking if your doing track days.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
MSNracing View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSNracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 18:29
Clutch jet ?
One way valve ? 

I found when exiting pit lane, stoping and selecting neutral was difficult and even once it showed it was in neutral but then as I let the clutch out it still moved, and returning to the pits stalling the bike was easier then find neutral. 
Also on down shift it wouldnโ€™t always catch gear release the clutch and it was between gears

ForzaApriliaRacing View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
The eprom guy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForzaApriliaRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 19:12
Gabro Clone ?
Where did you hear such bullsh*t ?
Aprilia Tech?๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Forza Aprilia Racing
www.forzaapriliaracing.co.uk
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 19:30
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Collectors from Mark - "Redratbike" - makes them based on the Aprilia WSB spec and has dyno sheets to show improvement, see here for contact:

Early air boot. If yours is 1999 you probably have one in there already. Pics below show the differences (Top is later type, bottom is early less restricted type). If you don't have one they are hard to find but do pop up on ebay occasionally:

The money shot Wink

Wink
Question everything.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 19:32
Originally posted by ForzaApriliaRacing ForzaApriliaRacing wrote:

Gabro Clone ?
Aprilia Tech?๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Haha no, worse than that. I heard it somewhere on the internet. Think it was Gabro talking about why his chips are encrypted and how all but a few are just clones of his. I know nothing about how to create these chips and figured they probsbly need many hours of dyno time to get right. 

I knew of your chips and thought you were just doing everyone a solid by continuing to develop and tweak the gabro chips after it seems many have abandoned the v990s. Sorry if I did you a disservice. 
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 21:10

Gabro Clone ?
Aprilia Tech?๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thats bit harsh.

Ive never seen anything of the like on there.
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ringโ€ฆ..Slowly but I did it!!
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 21:11
Originally posted by MSNracing MSNracing wrote:

Clutch jet ?
One way valve ? 

I found when exiting pit lane, stoping and selecting neutral was difficult and even once it showed it was in neutral but then as I let the clutch out it still moved, and returning to the pits stalling the bike was easier then find neutral. 
Also on down shift it wouldnโ€™t always catch gear release the clutch and it was between gears

This is the clutch jet

This is the one way valve
Lift the tank up and you will see it on the right hand side.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 21:31
Originally posted by Jollygiant Jollygiant wrote:

Gabro Clone ?
Aprilia Tech?๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thats bit harsh.

Ive never seen anything of the like on there.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
yellowrsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowrsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:43
The best mods I've done are the following:

Most noticeable:
Modified Collector, FR200 Chip and set up by Griff @ Aprilia Performance

Most fun:
16-44 gearing

Cheapest:
Clutch jet upgrade

Dearest:
Brembo RCS Master cylinder and Monoblocks

Other:
Rider coaching, its no good having all the gear, if you have no idea !!

I can personally recommend Gary and the team @ Not So Fast Wink

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:04
Originally posted by yellowrsvr yellowrsvr wrote:

The best mods I've done are the following:

Other:
Rider coaching, its no good having all the gear, if you have no idea !!

I can personally recommend Gary and the team @ Not So Fast Wink

This is probably best use of money. On track the bike doesn't make much difference unless you're already really good at riding. I've been passed round the outside by CB500s and I've overtaken modern litre bikes on straights. So a guy with 50hp was much quicker than me with 115hp and I was much quicker than a guy with 180hp. If an 130hp advantage didn't help that guy, 1 or 2 hp on our bikes won't make any difference at all.

I haven't had paid tuition yet but found instructors with No Limits and MVC really helped me. A bit of help from an instructor is probably worth a few track days of experience. A full day with Not So Fast or Dean Ellison or Mike Edwards or someone would be worth more than an extra 100hp in the long run. Plus you get to keep that speed even if you total your bike.
MSNracing View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSNracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 20:02
Iโ€™m assuming they all have this clutch jet ? How does it work? Clean or replace ? How to change it ? 

Thanks
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 22:16
Yup,all of them.  It's a little brass jet that meters oil feed to the clutch,hidden behind a blanking screw in the case near the filter and drain plug.

Early bikes had a 70 or 60 if irc,later Gen2's came down to 40 I think

It's essentially a pilot jet from an old carb LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
MorathB View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorathB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 05:34
P.s. in the "motovudu"-book is a very good help to find neutral: Go there while still moving (slowly)-> more easy to find. I testet this and can fully approve!

And of course a rider coach will bring you the furthest, especially in the beginning or on new tracks!!!
And even later they are/can be more than worth the bucks by helping to find small errors you don't see yourself...
DrumRobson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrumRobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 13:54
I'd run a standard bike to begin with. More time on track is more important than any upgrades..
Pete 86 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 20:45
Im slow on track and running at 1.55 a lap at oulton park on a standard mille gen 1.  I am fast into the corners but get dusted on the straights by the 170-80 BHP modern stuff.
But the corner entry speed of the mille with the enging brake nutrulisez the lack of power.
But i still lose.   
If you want to win on the track day i say get a new bike.
Otherwise dong let go of that throttle until the last second then be gentle on the brakes into the corner use the engine brake, bang it down  a couple and yes you will get stuck in a false neutral Confused just pull the clutch until u get round the corner lol. Trust me guys these bikes are fast if you ride it like a  bull.
Always be infront of the bike if that makes sense then the bike will follow you.  
Just me Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic