rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me Gen2 RSV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me Gen2 RSV
    Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 16:23

Hello all, new member here from Leicester.
Picked this up a few weeks ago from a friend of a friend. Genuine 7K miles on it backed up by mot history. He did less than 100 miles a year on it, always connected to a Ctek charger. Has the Titanium racing cans on it. A few scars/dings from being in the garage and having stuff dumped on it.  So far I've changed all the fluids, plugs and filters, given some of the connectors a clean, fresh battery, cleaned calipers and bled clutch and brakes.  Also fitted the Fireblade stand from AP. It'll be at AP in a week or two for a tune up and a general look over.

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 16:39
Welcome Sam, you won't go wrong here, not the busiest site on the net but very helpful bunch on here who will help as much as possible.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 18:34
Hi Sam and welcome along. Seems l8ke you're already going to the right place for a tune up and getting the easy stuff done yourself gives you a great sense of satisfaction and a brilliant way of getting to know the new steed . Any questions or advice fire away always happy to help. P.s bonus points awarded for posting up a pic without asking how!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 20:45
Welcome to the Apehouse Sam Handshake
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 21:59
Welcome. Good place to hang out.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Blender81 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blender81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 23:59
heeeelo. Hope you enjoy the bike and the forum very helpful guys on hereBig smile
colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 05:40
and so the modding begins ................................................. !
inevitable as it comes with owning an ape !! welcome sam lovely bike
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 08:23
Welcome Sam, I'm sure you will love your new steed. Any help or info needed just ask, I learned so much on here about optimising how these bikes work when I first joined.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 09:15
Thanks for all the replies guys. It's a lovely bike to ride. It'll ride better once the suspension is setup and the throttle bodies balanced. I've not touched the brown connectors as they looked ok, would like to hear your thoughts on whether I should do the mod or not. Once the bike's back from AP I'll get some pr5s on it...and maybe Santa will bring me some carbon bits for it. 

Sam.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:53
Griff at AP reckons to leave the brown connector (Unless it's already knackered) and to just maintain the connections. His view is it's a symptom not the cause and you should tackle the cause if a problem exists. I think he did a video on YouTube about it.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:28
Cheers for that. I'll leave it alone for now. I've seen a few of his vids on YouTube but I'll have a look for that particular one.

Sam.
Steve750 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 19:13
welcome Sam.

I had a Gen 2 some years ago and it was beautiful.  Looks like you've found a decent one.

Great guys on here so you'll have lots of fun and remarkable knowledge coming your way if you need it 👍👍👍
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 20:29
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Griff at AP reckons to leave the brown connector (Unless it's already knackered) and to just maintain the connections. His view is it's a symptom not the cause and you should tackle the cause if a problem exists. I think he did a video on YouTube about it.

Yep I'd agree with that never cut any out on any of the three Gen2 rsv's I've had. Always check them over the winter months and keep the connections clean but as said above irs a symptom rather than the problem so leave well alone unless problems arise.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 20:30
Looks to be the early model from the picture has the swingarm recall been done?
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 21:33
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Looks to be the early model from the picture has the swingarm recall been done?

From what I've read and seen yes it has but there is nothing in the comprehensive service history I have with it. I'm sure AP will be able to confirm either way.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 20:54
So the bike is back from AP and it is transformed. It handles better, it goes better and it feels better. The suspension was way off..it was running rich and a fair few other bits. Griff and Taz were excellent, down to earth and knowledgable.  Should have pr5s going on it in the next week or so as it's currently on 5 year old Pirelli Angels. It'll be covered in acf50 soon as I ride pretty much all year round..just gonna enjoy it for now.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 22:20
Originally posted by Sam S Sam S wrote:

So the bike is back from AP and it is transformed. It handles better, it goes better and it feels better. The suspension was way off..it was running rich and a fair few other bits. Griff and Taz were excellent, down to earth and knowledgable.  Should have pr5s going on it in the next week or so as it's currently on 5 year old Pirelli Angels. It'll be covered in acf50 soon as I ride pretty much all year round..just gonna enjoy it for now.

Great stuff mate always nice when you can really notice a difference when you've put your hand in your pocket. Not met Taz but Griff is sound and I've always bern happy with the service even rode from Norwich to have my swingarm replaced as well as a few other bits. Good on you for winter riding im a tart these days soon as the salt comes thats it for me.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 16:45
good too hear mate.how much did it cost pal?
im with b.a on the winter riding,im also a summer tart nowadays
i dont mind it,i passed my test in 2000 in the winter and rode my r1 through ice and the lot lol.
got off bike and was frozen in riding position for 2wks!!

its more about keeping the bike looking mint.
the crappy car can have the salt and frost,the mille will be snug in the garage with the heater on.

i was going too get a winter hack,but knowing my o.c.d,id clean it to within an inch of its life
then still not want to ride in winter.

Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 13:42
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Great stuff mate always nice when you can really notice a difference when you've put your hand in your pocket. Not met Taz but Griff is sound and I've always bern happy with the service even rode from Norwich to have my swingarm replaced as well as a few other bits. Good on you for winter riding im a tart these days soon as the salt comes thats it for me.

Agree Griff is sound as a pound...Taz is pretty sound as well. Rode from Leicester so a lot easier for me lols. Will definitely be using AP again.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 13:46
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

good too hear mate.how much did it cost pal?
im with b.a on the winter riding,im also a summer tart nowadays
i dont mind it,i passed my test in 2000 in the winter and rode my r1 through ice and the lot lol.
got off bike and was frozen in riding position for 2wks!!

its more about keeping the bike looking mint.
the crappy car can have the salt and frost,the mille will be snug in the garage with the heater on.

i was going too get a winter hack,but knowing my o.c.d,id clean it to within an inch of its life
then still not want to ride in winter.

The bike saves me at least 30/40 mins off my daily commute than taking the car, I hate being stuck in traffic. Had change from £300 and I was pleasantly surprised. 
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 14:45
thats good.
ill have too pay a visit before the start of next season.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 09:32
So been riding the bike pretty much everyday. Pretty pleased with it so far.......but....clutch biting point has come right back to the bar. Not much fluid in the reservoir, bled it and it has improved but nowhere near as good as i remember, a lot harder going down the box, finding neutral and its creeping at lights/standstill. I've ordered the seal from AP which should be here tomorrow. Also...I was going to put pr5s on it but was advised only to use a GT rated tyre which the pr5 isn't. The pr5s will go on my blade and I'll probably get pr4s unless there are any better suggestions?

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 09:43
Do you have the standard slave cylinder?. Definitely sounds like air getting in from the slave or master or both to me.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 15:52
Standard slave cylinder. I can see drips of fluid on the belly pan. Odd thing is that the master is slightly wet. I tried tightening the master bleed nipple but it's already pretty tight.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 16:25
Sometimes the bleed nipples can become worn through loosening and tightening, you could try a bit of ptfe tape on the threads to seal them.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 21:25
Definitely a seal in the slave then but theres obviously something wrong the other end too. Where is it wet? If its the bleed nipple then as hemi says try and seal it or replace the nipple. If its elsewhere you may need a replacement seals are not available whenever I've tried to find any.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 21:37
I'm going to remove the master nipple, clean, refit and see what's happens. Expecting the seal tomorrow but won't get a chance to fit it until Friday at the earliest. 
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 14:17
So I royally ballsed up. Fitted the seal from AP, retightened everything and bled everything. Clutch felt superb. Noticed a slight drip from near the bottom bolt on the clutch slave cylinder, went round tightening the 3 bolts a smidge more......sheared off the upper left. There is still ever such a slight leak. Booked into AP for Thursday afternoon. 
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 15:10
Apologies for the late update...Had an Oberon fitted. Clutch is a lot lighter but I think I preferred the oe clutch which was heavier. The rsv is riding spot on. Still not got round to putting tyres on, going to have to wait until the new year now.
Sam S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 14:24
Hi guys, thought I'd update this thread. The rsv is still going strong. Jus ticked over 11.5k. Pr4's went on a little while ago and have been superb. The oberon started leaking a few months after I had it fitted, Griff did a no nonsense/no questions asked swap for a titanium coloured one which has been faultless. 

I bought a double bubble screen and r/h mirror from Badapple on here. The screen i had originally was solid black and poorly made. The mirror had a couple of cracks in the plastic casing so swapped for Badapples good one. 

I had the dogbone linkages greased whilst it was in for the oberon. Even though I ride pretty much all year round the linkages were fine when stripped. I had spookys washers fitted aswell. 

Future plans are to upgrade electrical side of things (solenoid/cables/battery and a series regulator).

Fuel consumption is pretty good on long rides....in the city it's pretty grim. The fans came on an awful lot during the summer...especially at traffic lights etc.

Sam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic