FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen 1 Tyre Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stevieonit View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevieonit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen 1 Tyre Talk
    Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 09:02
I run continental road attack 2 on mine 
I'm onit !!!! 02 rsv & 10 R1
Www.smithsracing.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 19:12
Forgot about that Shocked

I knew he should have been staked and exorcised to stop the DNA spreading Confused

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 15:00
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Yeah,but that was on Frankie,the Christine of the bike world Confused

Anyone not a Stephen King fan ask questions later,and speak quietly when you whisper Frankie as his DNA is still out there somewhere

Plus you were an experienced racer if I recall?      Not many people seemed to get on with those tyres for some reason.

Wise words look what happened to Rybes!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 14:34
hi guys thanks for the input, i just got a 1199s and it came with metzler racetech rr k3 and they feel 10x more planted than the road 3 im going on a long ride this Sunday on my rsv so im going to keep them on for now and see how i get on, i will post on here when i get back and see if i have changed my mind on the Michelin,
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 10:55
Yeah,but that was on Frankie,the Christine of the bike world Confused

Anyone not a Stephen King fan ask questions later,and speak quietly when you whisper Frankie as his DNA is still out there somewhere

Plus you were an experienced racer if I recall?      Not many people seemed to get on with those tyres for some reason.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 10:44
I'm going out on a limb here  - what about round black ones ?

I did over 40 track days on Maxxis SuperMaxx Sports , and 300 miles a week commuting never had a problem.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 09:56
ClapClapClap

Been saying that for years

When I put an Avon on the rear of mine most of the other guys in the garage said 'just put it straight in the skip as you'll be back in after a lap to have Sc's put on'

How wrong they were Wink

It might not have been the best choice for their BSB spec Panigales or R1's but I was really happy

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 08:47
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

I see McPint and most of the Classic TT riders were running Avon so that should say something about their capabilities.

Avon have always made good tyres, I remember back in the late '80s early '90s Avon AM22/23's were the tyres to have, noticably better than almost anything at the time and used widely in the 600 super cup ( supersport of the time). It seems that these days we follow  'fashion' or trends and Supercorsas are 'trendy' poeple see them as OE on high profile bikes like the Panigale, MVs, ZX10RR ect and think they must be the dogs I better get me some,  even the new Street triple RS as them as standard equipment, to be fair the SCs are a good tyre but we shouldn't ignore other options and blindly follow the herd.
Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 23:11

[/QUOTE]
Timson, would you feel comfortable with them on track? Sounds like you thought they were decent value but not best grip.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah - definitely - I’d be more than happy to use them on a track!.. The level of grip is good. Tho I never mash the throttle wide open out of corners which is when you’re testing the outright grip level - so hard to compare.

If I were going to buy Avon’s specifically to take to the track (but still ride home on afterwards) I’d buy the Super-Sports

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 17:31
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Really helpful that budd. Surprised you said the SPs lasted best out of those. I heard they were good but thought they would wear faster than the RS10s.

it surprised me to I had expected the RS10s to last much better than they have, the Dunlops were worst and I've tried both the endurance and med compounds, then the Pirelli Supercorsa SCs ( which are the pure trackday/race tyre) then comes the RS10 and finally the Supercorsa SP (sport production), mind you there isn't that much in it, I was only getting 500-600 miles more out of them compared to the Dunlops, but bearing in mind the Dunlops were through to the canvas at about 1500 miles it's deffo a worthwhile gain. 

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 17:11
I see McPint and most of the Classic TT riders were running Avon so that should say something about their capabilities.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Timson Timson wrote:

I also like Dunlop SportSmart which are also an excellent tyre - probably ultimately a higher performance tyre than the 3D ultra sport - perhaps more comparable to the 3D ultra super-sport.

For the money - I don’t think you can beat the Avon’s - when you have comparable performance (for 90% of road riding) and durability for around £100 less for a pair than the Dunlops.

Dunlop have added a new sportsmart to their range the Sportsmart TT which is intended to bridge the gap between the road oriented sportsmart2 max and the more track focused sportmax GP Racer D212, I've not tried the sportsmat2s but they were fitted to the travelling marshalls fireblades at the TT and Manx GP so cant be bad.
I really liked the GP Racers but the torque just rips them to bits and as mentioned they aren't cheap so the TT may be a good alternative, I had intended to try some TTs but they didn't have the rear in the right speed rating so I went for the RS10s instead. 
 I think with this type of hypersport/track tyre are likely to better then the majority of riders ability, I know I can't get near to upsetting them so the actual brand is largely irrelevent but we all have our favourite brands and it's interesting to hear other poeples experiences.
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:37
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

they do get a good write up,those avons ian.

I think all aussies have had an original fireblade at some point. They must have highest number of 'blades per capita of any country.

Those tyres look to do well on track too from the sounds of that. Might give them a go next time as they're only £168 delivered.

Timson, would you feel comfortable with them on track? Sounds like you thought they were decent value but not best grip.
Steve750 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve750 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:24
I had Michelin PR4's on my previous Blade and they were amazing. Still sport touring tyres but the grip was incredible and so confident inspiring in the cold seasons. I'm not sure what the price is now for these but I couldn't recommend them highly enough 
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:23
they do get a good write up,those avons ian.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:18
Agree 100%
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:08
I can vouch for the Avon 3D ultra sport - A great street tyre. They’re a sporty profile and give loads of confidence on the road.

They warm up quick and are more than capable of fast road riding. I can feel a little flex in them sometimes - but I tend to run 36psi. 

I also like Dunlop SportSmart which are also an excellent tyre - probably ultimately a higher performance tyre than the 3D ultra sport - perhaps more comparable to the 3D ultra super-sport.

For the money - I don’t think you can beat the Avon’s - when you have comparable performance (for 90% of road riding) and durability for around £100 less for a pair than the Dunlops.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 15:59
I doubt you circulate round a track any slower than me 

I just wobble round and at that pace sport touring is fine with a margin for the unexpected

Well,until I threw caution to the wind that is and did more than the usual unexpected and rolled off the edge of the front, then I wished I had the margins of a hot,race slick on the front Embarrassed
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 15:40
Really helpful that budd. Surprised you said the SPs lasted best out of those. I heard they were good but thought they would wear faster than the RS10s.

You're bang on about confidence and it being in the head a bit. But tipping in I never really know what the front is doing. Back no problem but front feels like it's above the track. They also have a soft squirmy feel on the edges which I guess is all the tread blocks moving about. What's a tread squirm and what's a slide.. particularly on the front.

Guess all comments on tyres should be given in context of your pace. As a novice I'm plodding round Cadwell in about 2m5s and know there's plenty more grip in the pilot road 3s for that pace and more. It just doesn't feel like it. I also know I'd probably never get heat into SCs at the rate I'm going so touring tyres are going to perform much better.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 14:54
I still have an Avon front scrub to try as I've not had the chance to try a matched set of Avon yet,that could be even more impressive I suppose.

Won't find that out till I get out on track for a couple of days next. I reckon there's at least a full day+ in the ones fitted yet

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 14:47
I may just try the combo, I suppose there's no reason to run matched pairs other than it seems the right thing to do and the construction should be the same therefore they should compliment each other, but as i said above the matched pr of RS10s doesn't feel as well matched as perhaps it should so strange as it may sound the Avon maybe a better option..
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 14:20
I agree regarding the RS10's,I was really impressed by them,especially the front as you say.

I destroyed the rear in short order by running soft on a very hot track but I ended up running a mis match of the RS10 front and Avon Ultra Extreme rear for a lap just to see if I could get away with only changing one.

If anything it was even better than a matched pair of Bridgy's so that's how it stayed for the next couple of days on track and even the couple of road outings I did afterwards.

Confidence was so high I backed off as I was encouraged to get out of my personal comfort zone and really start pushing my limits which I didn't fancy doing as the thought of Spanish hospital food didn't appeal

Perhaps the two different makes & profiles complimented each other and just worked with my setup?

I know it's not recommended practice but it sure is impressive,I've never had that 'on rails' feeling before this combo,but for road use both are too soft and will get eaten by the weight and torque.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 13:57
 I'm on Bridgstone RS10s at the mo after running Dunlop GP Racers (both the D211 and D212 variants) and before that Supercorsas V2s (both SP and SC versions). Performance wise the RS10s are a bit of a mixed bag, the overiding impression is mega grip ( front is awesome will literally lift the rear wheel even at speed not just a stoppie) rear grip is also excellent can't provoke a slide on dry roads, surprisingly for this type of tyre wet grip is pretty good to, I was caught in a rain storm a couple of weeks ago and it didn't feel like it was going to wash out all the time which was nice, so what's not to like ?? They don't seem quite as stable when compared to the GP Racers or Supercorsas, , it's not unstable as such but just doesn't feel as if the front and rear are working together, it's as if the rear profile doesn't quite match the front and you can almost feel them rolling into the turn at a slightly different rate, also to my eyes the rear looks visibly smaller (180/55)so maybe that's something to do with, I've increased the rear ride hieght a touch which as helped but not cured it, it's only very subtle but as a result they aren't quite as confidence inspring as the GPs or SCs
Overall outright grip wise the RS10s are mega on a par with the Dunlops/Pirellis, better than either in the wet if it wasn't for this slight instablity issue I would recommend them whole heartedly,  but as it is I think I'll be going back to eirther the Dunlop or Pirelli when the RS10s are done, which won't be long because the big twin really rips up the rear, front is wearing well coming up to 3K but I'm on a second rear and that's now 2/3 worn, so the rear atleast it will need changing again soon, I may try a S21 just out of interst see if it improves the handling feel, it should wear better which is also a bonus. 

To sum up and rate the 3 types of tyre I've used in the last 18 months I'd say 1st would be the Supercorsas (SP version as the SC are very difficult to get up to temp to do the necessary heat cycle) awesome dry grip (not great in the wet they are prone to aqua-plane) excellent stability and handling very confidence inspiring and they wear well to, not great but for the pure performance tyre they are remarkably good, certainly better than either the Dunlop or Bridgstone. 

2nd would be the Dunlop GP Racer (either the D211 or newer D212 other than thread pattern there's no decernable difference) again fantastic dry grip and as the Dunlops run really low pressures you can really feel the rear digging into the tarmac with gives a feeling of security when driving out of corners, also very stable with excellent feel, the front transmits lots of info through the bars which again builds confidence, all in all a fantastic tyre if they had worn a bit better they'd be my first choice.

3rd is the Bridgestone RS10 not a bad tyre by any means quite the opposite in fact they are a great, tyre just not quite as good as the other 2, and it's this slight 'mis match' feeling that I have problem with and as I said it's very subtle and may be down to setup, todays tyres are quite unique and have individual charteristics, gone are the days you could just swap the tyres inflate to pressure and ride away nowadays some form adjustment to pressures/suspension settings is likely to be required to get the best from a new set of boots.

I don't think there is a really bad tyre out there these days but the above are top of the pile for sports/track riding, I don't think there's a really bad tyre out there these days and although I've not tried them presonally I'm sure the Metzler Racetecs, Avon Extrmes, Conti Attacks, Michiln RSs etc are all excellent to, tyres are very much down to personal preference and what suits some my not suit others, I mention 'confidence' quite a lot above and to me it's the most imortant asspect of a tyre does it inspire confidence? or is there a little niggle in the back the mind, it very difficult to quantify but if you have confidence in your tyres you WILL be faster and safer.
 I've related my thoughts/opinions on the various makes, not definative by any means but I hope it helps.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 13:55
agree with ian 100%,
as said,my old tuned r1 5jj with 4xv engine was evil fast and the pilot road 3 never ever left me wanting.
plus they worked out superb value for money due to the mileage.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:59
Yeah I realise the Ultra Sports are road version,I did go out a couple of times on the road with the Ultra Extremes but they're overkill and not recommended although they are road legal.

It's just that Avon fly totally under the radar generally,they don't have a competition budget these days although they were winning championships in years past

Most people seem to be blinded by advertising and what is used on track rather than thinking honestly about their own needs or limits.

If a race school can operate on sports touring tyres I think that speaks volumes

Certainly on track I sometimes wonder if I can get tyres up to temp let alone keep them there on the occasions I have used warmers,sport touring certainly work after the first couple of corners from cold.

My road bike uses SportSmarts atm but Avon will probably going back on when those are shot
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:40
The 3D Ultra Sport are their street tyres Ian. Think they do supersport as like a hypersport, then the extremes are the track ones.

Seriously thinking of getting a spare set of wheels so I can have track tyres and road tyres and not have to compromise on either.

The PR3 touring tyres (and other brand equivalents) are ideal for the road, just lacking a bit on track. But not by a huge amount at my slow pace to be fair. Maybe a bit of squirm at lean is good for you..
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:21
The Avon 3D Ultra Extremes are awesome Clap

Don't think they'd last that long on the road before squaring off though

I really like Avon tyres and have had good results in the past with their Storm Ultra 2 sports touring tyres.

The 'busa crowd used to rate them very highly as that bike destroyed tyres for breakfast.  I used them for touring and track days on my old Sv1000s and it handled both with no dramas and good longevity.

Not sure what the modern equivalent is but when I come to change tyres next they will be a top contender

Unless you do a lot of track and are stupidly anti social on the roads then nobody NEEDS Super Corsa's or  that class of tyre for the road,just total overkill and likely to catch you out in the rain or cold.

Sorry if that upsets some of you that think only track kit will do but it's my honest opinion gained over the years and I think if people read less of the sh*te peddled by the advertising rags like More Crap Nonsense and gave modern Sports Touring tyres a change they'd be very pleasantly surprised.

It works very well for places like Ron Haslams Race School,try it, you might find far better mileage,cold grip and confidence in the wet Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:31
Yeah that's online delivered, not fitted price though. Can also get Avon 3D Ultra Sport for £168 but I haven't heard much about them:
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:19
yea it was quite a while ago i had the m7rrs.i figured thered be a newer version by now,not cheap for an older tyre at 250 mind!
The s20,s look good value then at 211 for the pair mate?!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:55
Yeah I've got pilot road 3s on my bike and they're lasting ages. About 6,000 miles 2 track days, 1 evening and they still have loads of life. Work really well in the wet. Plenty of dry grip on road too.

On track though.. towards the end of a session they get too hot. Leant over they seem to always be fidgeting so there's no confidence. Don't think the grip is an issue so much as they never feel like they are solid. Maybe all the treads and sipes up to the shoulder of the tyre. Also on the brakes the front could be better.

Interested to see other recommendations on this too. Something better for track than PR3s but still handling some road miles without squaring. I was looking at S20 evos for £211 a pair (180/55 rear), or maybe Power RS for £250 a pair (180/60 rear).

Cheapest I see M7RRs is £250 a pair. While everyone rates them, they are pretty old so I'd be surprised if you couldn't get better for the money.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic