rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rearsets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 14:29
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

im in your neck of the woods this week .

Whereabouts are you going?  Could be up for a ride if the weather's good as I've been away for the last 3 weeks
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 14:57
Im near Conwy visiting my mum with the family so im in the jam jar the apes sulking at home she wanted to come out to play. I have come on my own before next time I'll give you a shout 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 15:03
Ah,just down the road in Abergele,you almost go past my house on the A55.   Well you can see my house over the bungalows anyway.

How long are you around for? Drop in for a coffee if you have time?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 22:01
thanks mate that's good of you to offwr and I would of loved to but we arw heading home tomorrow.  No wonder you recognised where i was when i posted up a pic a fww years ago when i brought the bike i was playing in your back garden. Im so jealous of the roads you have here they are amazing! Next time i comw I'll ket tou know for sure and I'll leave an hour or so frwe.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 22:06
is the 'e' misbehaving on your keypad Adam? 😅 

Thought I was reading in Welsh for a moment 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Fitz View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 22:42
I had the HRC kit on my bike for years never had a problem with it, was the master cylinder which failed so thought I'd upgrade to a KTM unit 
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 23:05
I fitted the tube on mine and it’s fine I just sleeved it over a bit of the old pipe. Stuck it in boiling water and it went over no probs and no leaks

Not too sure about the brake line though it sits against the swing arm and thinking it’s going to chaff through some time in the future
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 23:15

thanks mate that's good of you to offwr and I would of loved to but we arw heading home tomorrow.  No wonder you recognised where i was when i posted up a pic a fww years ago when i brought the bike i was playing in your back garden. Im so jealous of the roads you have here they are amazing! Next time i comw I'll ket tou know for sure and I'll leave an hour or so frwe.

Sure thing Thumbs Up  We have some really nice roads that don't see a lot of traffic,let me know when you plan on coming up again and we'll sort something out.

A day would be better than an hour or so though,and even then you'd only see a small part of what's on offer locally.

Errr,sorry for the postjack Storkers,View Drop Downnormal service has been resumed Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 23:54
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Sure thing Thumbs Up  We have some really nice roads that don't see a lot of traffic,let me know when you plan on coming up again and we'll sort something out. Top man if im woth the.kids it will be a flier if im on the bike all dayThumbs Up

A day would be better than an hour or so though,and even then you'd only see a small part of what's on offer locally.

Errr,sorry for the postjack Storkers,View Drop Downnormal service has been resumed Wink
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 23:55
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

is the 'e' misbehaving on your keypad Adam? 😅 

Thought I was reading in Welsh for a moment 
Hahaha im a bit pissed 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 00:13
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Sure thing Thumbs Up  We have some really nice roads that don't see a lot of traffic,let me know when you plan on coming up again and we'll sort something out.

If im with the family a coffee and natter will be my lot mate but if im on two wheels show me the way to go
Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 13:17
Stevex.... Is your exhaust system ceramic coated?... looks smart!

Where did you get it done? 

Tim
Storkers View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 18:41
so after all the chat anyone got the best solution for getting a decent working( more than 5 minutes!) rear brake for RSVR 2003 gen 1????!!!!!
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 18:44
Originally posted by Timson Timson wrote:

Stevex.... Is your exhaust system ceramic coated?... looks smart!

Where did you get it done? 

Tim

Yep, ceramic. 
Camcoat in Warrington.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 18:54
fit the ap rearsets and move the cylinder that’s it
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 19:07
That's it!  LOL
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 19:09
Originally posted by David451 David451 wrote:

fit the ap rearsets and move the cylinder that’s it

You can still achieve a good pedal on standard rearsets provided it is fully bled. The moving of the rear master really only delays the requirement to bleed the brakes for longer. 

It takes a while to fully get the air out. KTM and Ducati are no real difference to the messing around as most of the air is trapped in the caliper that unless inverted and pumped through several times just doesn't shift it quickly. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 19:30

You can still achieve a good pedal on standard rearsets provided it is fully bled. The moving of the rear master really only delays the requirement to bleed the brakes for longer. 

Totally disagree; I've had 2 Tuonos, first was standard rear brake set up, second came with AP rear sets. The difference is night and day; standard was bled to death and was still crap to the point that I stopped using the rear. Braking with the AP's is a revelation in comparison and since initial bleeding has never needed repeating.
Storkers View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:01
does the ap rearsets come with m/c or is that extra? Also if is where’s best to get as looks as tho some kits mentioned tubes are sh*t?
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:24
Originally posted by Storkers Storkers wrote:

does the ap rearsets come with m/c or is that extra? Also if is where’s best to get as looks as tho some kits mentioned tubes are sh*t?

The original MC is used c/w original reservoir (if you don't want to use the [HRC LOL ] green tube).
There's nothing wrong with the original MC except that as standard it is mounted horizontally next to the engine / gearbox.  Mounted vertically on the rear set it works perfectly.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:29
go onto ap buy the kit rearsets brake switch and the hrc tube

The rearsets are nice and value for money standard ones are not best positioned for me, slippy  when wet and you can’t set up go shift which is a revolation 

The hrc tube is too large for the pipe on the master so I used a small section of the old pipe first heated the hrc pipe in water and fitted it over that sleeve and it’s perfect

Why they say it’s sh*t I don’t know. Anyway bleed it as explained on this forum and forget about back brake issues. 

The ap rearsets on mine are grippy good looking decent quality you get spares for them and can set them normal or gp shift

If you look at the battery cable upgrade kits fook knows where they get the price from   A metre of 170amp cable 4 clip ends and a metre of mesh sheathing something like 15 quid.  Half hour with a crimper or solder the ends on how hard is that
Storkers View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:29
ok thanks so can use original mounted on ap rearsets then fine ?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:35
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

Totally disagree; I've had 2 Tuonos, first was standard rear brake set up, second came with AP rear sets. The difference is night and day; standard was bled to death and was still crap to the point that I stopped using the rear. Braking with the AP's is a revelation in comparison and since initial bleeding has never needed repeating.

I must be be very lucky then as I have a 2003 Mille and a 2009 Tuono and they both have properly working rear brakes and never had any issues with either bike.

I did fit some AP rearsets to the Mille but that was purely for set up as a trackbike as it used to frighten me when I decked my feet on the standard pegs.

I've never understood the issues people have with bleeding hydraulic systems on these bikes,it seems that by and large most owners couldn't bleed to air free if their lives depended on it,I don't know why as it's quite simple.

All these convoluted methods of hanging calipers up high and upside down ,tins of paint hanging off pedals overnight etc etc. It should be possible bar anything broken in the circuit to bleed completely in about 2 or 3 res fills and have it stay exactly like that until you crack the system to service or flush the fluid.

So no,I don't agree you have to move the master or change it to get a good working rear brake,at least not unless you have a defective unit somewhere in which case it needs replacing wherever you decide to mount it.

Even perfectly set up the rear brake is not awesome,but it's a sportsbike,they are meant to be like that as most braking is done using the front anyway but it is possible with clean discs and good pads to lock the rear wheel so that's all you can ask.

Quite useful as the AP and other rearsets are if you're happy with the standard posn you should be able to also have a good,working rear brake with what comes as standard.

I know I'm not the only one who has found this

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:36
Originally posted by Storkers Storkers wrote:

ok thanks so can use original mounted on ap rearsets then fine ?

Yep, see the pic on page one of my setup, original mc and reservoir.

This taken from AP's rear set web page:

These rearsets are specifically developed for Aprilia motorcycles by Aprilia Performance.

• They relocate the rear brake master cylinder, which helps with consistent rear brake operation. This can be a a common issue with poor rear brake operation!
Storkers View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 20:52
ok thanks guys may have a play with setup as is as money tight with holiday and kids off school!!! Don’t use it much but nice to have there, bit pushed for space to as old Vespa waiting to sell and a old pinball which sold a month ago and still waiting to be picked up, plus the usual household sh*t that gets put in garage, It’s a struggle just to get her in there safe on crappy stand!
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 21:45
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

May have to totally disagree with your totally disagree 😂

Had two gen on standard set and one gen2 with no issues, consistent pedal and one could even lock! Two current gen2's one of which never needs bleeding other than regular fluid change the other seems to go off over time. I use AP ones on one of the racebikes and the current road bike so that it feels similar and I prefer them but only for the position. Rarely use the rear in any case and would like to consider a thumb brake on the race bike possibly 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Storkers View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 22:43
don’t use it much and have to admit the radial front is awesome but like to have as can control better when on the back wheel, and mot blokes where I am will fail every time if no brake, will try and give a good bleed over weekend and see how go, never had issue on all other bikes I’ve had, guess it’s just character!
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 22:45
bleeding the rear brakes on mine was a coont and I followed the proper procedure and I’m a technician with years of experience 

I did notice though that it takes time to replenish the cylinder from the pipe I fitted and once I allowed the fluid to rest for 30 sec or so after each few pumps it worked fine   I use the 6 pumps open bleeder close then repeat holding the pedal down when opening the bleeder

Perhaps with a new master it would have been easier but tricky on mine. But it’s a common complaint and griff says this resolves it
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:17
Originally posted by David451 David451 wrote:

go onto ap buy the kit rearsets brake switch and the hrc tube

The rearsets are nice and value for money standard ones are not best positioned for me, slippy  when wet and you can’t set up go shift which is a revolation 

The hrc tube is too large for the pipe on the master so I used a small section of the old pipe first heated the hrc pipe in water and fitted it over that sleeve and it’s perfect

Why they say it’s sh*t I don’t know. Anyway bleed it as explained on this forum and forget about back brake issues. 

The ap rearsets on mine are grippy good looking decent quality you get spares for them and can set them normal or gp shift

If you look at the battery cable upgrade kits fook knows where they get the price from   A metre of 170amp cable 4 clip ends and a metre of mesh sheathing something like 15 quid.  Half hour with a crimper or solder the ends on how hard is that

Still not convinced tbh before i left for my hols i checked and the tube was wet top to bottom wirh brake fluid so it must be weeping through the tube. Im going to re fit the oem res even though I like the look and will sell the HRC kit and spare new tube i have. Seems it works for some people but certainly not me.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:22
'There are none so blind as those who will not see'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic