rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > For Sale, Swaps and Wants > Wants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen2 Rsvr or Factory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen2 Rsvr or Factory
    Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 13:10
Hello all

After a Gen2 for a friend. If you see or know any bargains let me know please. Prefers the later facelift Gen2 but condition of the bike may swing it.

Thanks in advance 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 16:38

Gen 2 look nice but research into the Joe Lucas (the prince of darkness) electrics. The shock linkage breakage, and the zeroing of the clocks mean that your 6 owner 6,000mile beauty has done 60,000 and had 6 rebuilds because of magneto failures ! 

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 17:34
Amazed people still have that issue as it's down to poor maintenance 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 19:19

You might be right about poor maintenance, however it is certain that no gen1 link plates broke. The fact is that when piaggio took over corners were cut and a bad bike was built. The recall of breaking swing arms, the wrong spec charging system, the lower quality parts used were all gen2 problems.
Funny that...
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 19:54
I've three gen2 and not had any of the issues but i always kept on top of the maintenance. Had a reg/rec fail but none of the other issues so lucky maybe. 
My gen1 was plagued with electrical gremlins conversely but again I'd put that down to poor prior ownership. 
Only real reason the links break is because the dogbone isn't serviced or actually the bearings commonly seize in the swingarm. Usually the dog bone goes and not the plates so you may well be correct about no gen1 plates going but I have seen gen1 dog bones splinter just the same as the gen2. And indeed this was a handling issue I uncovered on my gen1 rsvr (first time I thought I best service the linkages)I believe the early rsv4 dog bone is the same part as the gen2 of note. When a new model comes out none are without problems. Look at the number of recalls Honda did on the 03 Fireblades that is supposed to be the best one they made. 
The swingarm recall was a precaution and the actual number that developed cracks in the time prior was minor and none actually broke resulting in accident but yes it was a good thing they were all recalled. Suzuki K5 recalled the GSXR1000 to have frame braces put on as one or two developed cracks and again its good they did. My race bike still had the original swingarm on 13 years later with no signs of starting but it was still honoured and replaced. 
The 06 on gen2 overcame the charging issue and the swingarm extra rivet that caused the cracking was removed as was the early model clock reset. 

www.apworkshops.co.uk
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 01:35
your mate should buy sonics gen1 03 mille it will be a long long time if one like that comes up again
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 09:35
I feel I have to stick up for the Gen2 too I've had 3 all pre 06 and they've all been great. The first was on the original swingarm so got that sorted and once I found out the correct procedure for disconnecting the battery had no more clock re set. The second was faultless and an amazing bike only sold for my house deposit and finally my 3rd bought as a non runner with a few small problems all easily fixed and now im happy with it. As James said most issues are down to poor or non existent maintenance although my current bike looked ok I foumd numerous things that had been neglected look at the state of this bearing!! You can't blame a bike for this level of neglect I don't understand why some people on here are so down on the Gen2 I love all apes but im particularly fond of the second generation. Not out to start an argument just my opinion. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 12:03
Originally posted by constant constant wrote:

your mate should buy sonics gen1 03 mille it will be a long long time if one like that comes up again

I agree as it's lovely. 

But she wants a gen2 and who am I to argue with a woman 😆
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 13:16
I agree don't ever argue with a woman and yes that 03R is gorgeous perhaps its time to try a gen1 . Would your lady friend be interested in my factory http://www.rsvr.net/the-old-girl-scrubs-up-well_topic26912.html
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 15:17
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

I agree don't ever argue with a woman and yes that 03R is gorgeous perhaps its time to try a gen1 . Would your lady friend be interested in my factory http://www.rsvr.net/the-old-girl-scrubs-up-well_topic26912.html

Sounds bad but it seems she can't get past a wanting a black one with red wheels. Limits the choice somewhat 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 15:58
To be honest mate I don't want to sell it but i do really like the look of sonics gen1 and I'd have some cash leftover for a track sl*g. 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 16:00
Both my previous bikes were black but the silver has really grown on me it shows off the carbon far more, I even like the blue wheels now !
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 16:12
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Both my previous bikes were black but the silver has really grown on me it shows off the carbon far more, I even like the blue wheels now !

I agree 100% 😆

What track bike are you after? 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 18:46
Anything sub 1k but i can't afford one unless I sell up.

However what I'd really like is this or similar but that would mean a much less fancy roadbike which I don't think I'd be happy with. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132748866242

Had a go on one of these and it was ridiculous how easy it was to ride very very quickly!
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 23:59
Yes all the jap stuff certainly makes your life easier. Weight and power certainly is noticeable around a track. Would not be a bad choice by any stretch. Can find the k1 era for around £1500 and I'd not turn those down. Had a k2 1000 that was so easy to ride and was no slouch. Especially on the brakes........amazing what you nearly ran up the back of! 😅 They were somewhat lacking the calipers despite a radial master, dual carbon pads and braided hoses. Could of swapped them to the earlier slingshot calipers that apparently improve them considerably but I sold it for what I paid and it's still going about strong as you like. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 15:50
At last she has found one! 
Only thing she doesn't like is the red screen.

Thanks to all that looked and offered. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 18:21
Cool pleased she got one typical woman never satisfied......although a red screenDead

Id have to agree with her.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic