rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner Gen1 R

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 15:27
I just notice your round the corner from me!

thanks for the information, the previous owner did carry out a lot of mods to the bike and im just figuring out if i need the new cables, and im constantly looking for a new kickstand. are there many folks from ipswich on here?
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 18:57
Not from Ipswich but will be spending a fair amount of time there soon. 

Know several down that way if you want posting in the direction of decent bike meets 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 19:26
i use a firestorm side stand bolted straight on just need ti drill a hole for the switch it looks a bit iffy from a certain angle but it been on for about four year with no problems
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:14
interesting, yeah a bike meet i nthe uture would be awesome,

i wounder what other kickstands work, i literally have 0 confidence with this stand, it feels very shaky at best.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:52
I spotted a US Gen1 stand on ebay the other day, check it out. It wasn't cheap mind about £100 I think but by the time you pay carriage from the US then the import duty and vat you will be paying around that, which is probably why people try to recover that money when they sell them.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 19:16
dont know whats on my new bike,but its been upgraded already thank god.
keep finding nice surprises,power commander ect,just got to check sprockets now,
hoping its not std gearing.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 01:58
Gents!

What is everyone saying about this

i have been looking for a rsv mille kickstand on ebay.com and the only one on there is battered,
a few gents on here have said a blade stand will fit and its worth the punt at 30 quid - let me know your best guess on this one gents and il buy it.

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 09:19
I'm not sure if it's the correct year but someone else will surely know. I know I harp on about it but try to find a decent US one as being original OE Aprilia it eliminates any potential insurance issues and is made for the job using the existing side stand switch.

Did you not find that US one I mentioned the other day, I will have a look and post it here if I find it.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 12:24
Another reason for using the genuine US issue stand is the far stronger three bolt mounting bracket which none of the other makes use.

Sometimes people with knowledge make recommendations for a reason Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 14:29
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Another reason for using the genuine US issue stand is the far stronger three bolt mounting bracket which none of the other makes use.

Apart from the pre 2000 (i.e. 98 & 99 MY) which still had 2bolt fixing even in the US due to the slightly different frame configuration in this area compared with the later years (Presumably to accomodate the stand change). However the US 2 bolt fixing (At least some of them) had a double shear set-up with bracket fixing on the inside as well as the outside. You might be able to tell that I have looked into this quite extensively!  Wink
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 14:37
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 15:39
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the correct year but someone else will surely know. I know I harp on about it but try to find a decent US one as being original OE Aprilia it eliminates any potential insurance issues and is made for the job using the existing side stand switch.

Did you not find that US one I mentioned the other day, I will have a look and post it here if I find it.

il be honest with you, i don't fancy paying near 150 quid for a kickstand, the only US one i can find on ebay looks knackered.

and also if one was readily available i would definitely go for an OE aprilia product, but they seem to be quite rare. 
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 14:23
Thread resurrection think this bike is the one a mate has just bought from a dealer....looks identical with the same aftermarket screen crash bungs, swingarm protectors, Harris rearsets chains &sprockets and CF rear light surrounds all on a 2002 bike.  Graphics look to be non OE replacements.  Sidestand fitted was incorrect US spec fireblade stand which leant the bike over way too far (short stand and incorrect bracket allowing loads of movement).  We're just going through it now to sort out some essential work on it.
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 00:12
hi mate, mine had a OEM Aprilia side stand US spec, used to lean over perfect after i fitted that, akra titanium downpipes with a termi end can.

i think it was all original stickers, i remember the one of the seats edges where a bit tatty, i think the plate was EF02

it also had a on and off again front gasket leak when i sold it.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 00:32
here is some more pics of it,

and this last one is from when i first got it with the rim tape and akra

Bladerunner919 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladerunner919 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:02
Looks lovely!
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:13
That's the one or at least very very similar and same year/extras such as the exact same Harris rearsets, screen and crash bungs.   It also has non oem bar grips.  The changes to it now include new R&G bar ends, different exhaust (what looks like a gen2 carbon exhaust from a twin system) and new vinyl.  I think it has been down the road hence the changes as the RHS peg is scraped as is the RHS crash bung and hence new bar ends too.  It would explain the change in end can as who in their right mind would swap out that Akra!?  The stand was seemingly swapped too from the one you fitted to a non-oem one using the wrong bracket and the whole lot moves alarmingly due to excessive play and has the bike leant over at quite an extreme angle.  The seat has been recovered in one of those Italia flag coloured ones.

We've located a spare bracket with OEM stand and combined with an AP sourced Fireblade stand will put that right.  Next comes steering damper removal (needs a rebuild) and fork seals need doing.  it'll then be quite a tidy example.  It also has had felt washers fitted to prevent the bars hitting the tank.

R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 03:25
Jesus, must of been bought by a car driver that fair weather pretends on weekends.

the Termi was brand new old stock, shame about that, we are talking about the same bike EF02XBT ?
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:04
I'll check the reg with him when I see him (it's definitely an  02) next but it looks like the same bike to me although possible it might not be.  lots of coincidences in looks if its not!
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 13:59
Yeah of course, it was a great bike it only ever had 1 issue and that was the slave cylinder popping on me and the already mentioned front head leak. But I rode too and from 4 trackdays went through a set of bto16s and then some S22'S I actually had some brand new 22s on when I sold it. But yeah had it the day I made this post up until December 2020 when I got my gen 2 and that lasted 3 months. I do miss it but I wouldednt buy another. Nice to know that even after it's been chucked down the road someone's taking care of it. The grips input on it were dominos black with white text.
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 14:44
Yes, it's the same bike then as it has those grips too.  Slave cylinder looks to be ok now and no visible gasket leaks anywhere.  New chain and sprockets fitted, I think 16/44 as it's very low geared and very smooth.  I test rode it and it had a cut out in revs before the red line but that was a slight hiccup as it soon corrected and was fine after that.  Could be new plugs or HT leads are needed.  Pipe looks to have larger bore feeding it and is deffo one from a pair of the Gen 2 factory carbon ones.  Quite quiet really.

Tyres are BT016R front and back with plenty of life in them.  There's the odd mark in paintwork with a scratch on the tank having been touched up with a black paint pen or something.

Forks and side stand are the main issues along with the need to remove the steering damper which needs a service as its causing the bike to weave.  New side stand ordered...heaven only knows what the last owner was thinking in putting the wrong one on, wobbling about as on the wrong bracket!  Mileage I think is just under 14K miles registering.
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 16:08
yeah, thats her that tank mark was there and a garage near me put a scratch on the clocks, when the salve was changed. i definitely put more miles than that on it, i sold it to a cowboy dealer that sold me a really rough bike i asked to reverse the deal but they said the Mille had already sold, within weeks. i cant believe its changed that much so your thinking its had a slide? must of wrecked the exhaust I'm thinking. 
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 18:26
Looks like the mileage has been falsified then!  He's going to look at a refund under distance selling regs.  Definitely sold as roughly 14K miles...may have been a little more or less but around that mark.  Yes, noted the crack on the clocks which was missed at point of sale. I reckon a definite slide as the transfers are TOO new and good looking to be the originals which had a habit of crazing a bit.  These are vinyl and are crisp and bright and I noticed that font didn't look quite right on tail transfers.

I reckon a definite drop on the right hand side judging by new R&G bar ends, a badly scraped fairing crash bung and harris footpeg plus a pipe that was never on it when you had it.  Paintwork looks too good and doesn't match wear and tear in other areas including bellypan.  He's gutted as I think he loves the bike but feels he's been ripped off.  I agree with him.  It's been mis-sold as something it's not....ie low mileage cherished bike and original save for rearsets and pipe.  Clearly that's not the case.

I'll be advising him to get a refund and find one from an honest seller.  The seller didn't warn him of leaking forks and semi-seized steering damper.  Steering head bearings didn't feel right to me either.
R1200RS

Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 18:29
Seller unsurprisingly has just confirmed he'll take it back no questions and if it comes up on ebay I'll report it as with false mileage and having been damaged.

My mate's done a deal now on a mint 2004 Gen 2 Factory instead.

A note to anyone reading this, if you see this Gen 1 come up again for sale, make a note here so we can prevent someone else being stung!  It needs around £400 spent or more just to rectify current defects to make it safe, never mind falsified mileage!
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 08:01
Originally posted by Vee60 Vee60 wrote:

Seller unsurprisingly has just confirmed he'll take it back no questions and if it comes up on ebay I'll report it as with false mileage and having been damaged.

My mate's done a deal now on a mint 2004 Gen 2 Factory instead.

A note to anyone reading this, if you see this Gen 1 come up again for sale, make a note here so we can prevent someone else being stung!  It needs around £400 spent or more just to rectify current defects to make it safe, never mind falsified mileage!

nice glad to hear it, such a shame that someone has mucked around with it, if only car drivers would stick to pizza delviery bikes and diesel sh*t boxesWink

have you come across my thread about my Gen 2? its a real grabber.
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:35
No, I'll check it out.

Yes, in reflection, someone had taken a tidy bike and wrecked it and the dealer is complicit by his dishonesty "this bike needs nothing done" type remarks!
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 12:35
yeah so i traded the gen 1 for a gen 2 i had it for i believe 3 or 4 months and i only ever got to ride it id say 5 times, and it was supposed to be my commuter bike. long story short it needed a new loom, ecu, and tank so i had to get my money back, buying bike and cars really can be a pain with dishonest sellers out there.
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 13:01
I hope my mate's Gen 2 decision is a wise one as he's been told clocks have reset so mileage is out a bit but still low miles.  It's bog standard and tidy so very original and not messed with.  I've warned him of electrical issues such as stator, solenoid and the need to swap out the capacitor behind the clocks, so if the stator does go south at least he's prepared for the costs of replacement.
R1200RS

JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 13:08
and with a site like this with the amount these geezers know there isent really much that hasn't been covered and some clever chap hasn't got a work around or fix for. 

how you getting on with yours mate?
Vee60 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 13:23
I love my Gen 1.  Done a fair few miles on it since I bought it but have done a lot of work including fitting a new fireblade stand, fitting frame covers, tidying paint in places, fitting a 150A solenoid, removing steering damper, setting up suspension properly , fitting new carbon side ears to match original spec, replacing rear seat hump as mine had damage where previous owner dropped it, fitted new R&Gs and bar ends, new alloy master cylinder reservoir caps and carbon clock surround.

It feels like riding a new bike.  Engine, at 6K miles still feels tight, suspension is spot on and brakes are phenomenal.  It has bags of character, goes, handles and stops really well.

Only one job left and that is removing Meta alarm/immobiliser.

It's my 3rd Gen 1 and in 37 years of riding, dozens of bikes later, I still rate the Gen 1 RSV as the ultimate road bike because all the power on tap is useable and it handles as well imho as any m,odern bike I've owned.  I've ridden S1000Rs, MT10s, 1260 Multistradas but none were any better on the road and arguably had too much power and electronics and engines have got way too complex. They're really expensive toys designed to lose your licence on if not careful!  The Mille's are easy to work on, easy to maintain and a joy to ride and own.  I won't be tempted to anything else except maybe to an additional bike for track days and occasional touring and would love an RSV4 Tuono when funds allow. 
R1200RS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic