rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner Gen1 R

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner Gen1 R
    Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 18:46
Hi Guys,

Took ownership yesterday of a 2002 Gen 1 R, bought on ebay from a really decent guy near Bristol, 

just over 12k on the clocks, new to aprilia with past owned bike being a 1999 R6, 2005 R6 and various other Japanese bikes, really fancied a change and i have always wanted a first gen RSV, found out about this site from working for the merch company who made the key rings for this site ( left company about a year ago)

let me know what you thin of her, next to my pride and joy 2001 CLK55 5.5L V8 AMG

wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 18:55
Hi welcome along. 
Very nice and you're in the right place. Some nice ad ons I spy with some Harris rearsets? 

Like the Merc 👍🏻
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 19:19
nice bike jim if you aint  got them already get some of johnboys cables so you know the bike will start and not get a knackered sprag also one of rderarbike collector and a chip to suite it and throttle bodies done the bike will run better for it
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 23:08
Originally posted by wigginsjp wigginsjp wrote:

Hi welcome along. 
Very nice and you're in the right place. Some nice ad ons I spy with some Harris rearsets? 

Like the Merc 👍🏻

Thanks, i looked for 2 years for the right 5.5 V8,

You are correct Harris rear sets, it has adjustable leavers also but i'm not sure if they are standard or not, the previous owner said all of the carbon swing arm covers and carbon side fairings are really rare? is that true? 

anyway im really enjoying it so far its a very smooth ride.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 23:22
Originally posted by constant constant wrote:

also one of rderarbike collector and a chip to suite it and throttle bodies done the bike will run better for it

And Open Airbox and early year air inlet to make the inlet mods complete! It might actually have some of these when you start looking.
groovylee View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groovylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 08:21
Originally posted by JimGreezy JimGreezy wrote:

the previous owner said all of the carbon swing arm covers and carbon side fairings are really rare? is that true? 

I have the same bike.  as far as i know, the carbon front mudguard, rear hugger, nosecone wind deflectors, and side panel scoops are standard Mille R fitment.

the swingarm covers can be got from Russ Wray on facebook - they aren't standard.

Lee
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 08:29
Originally posted by groovylee groovylee wrote:

the previous owner said all of the carbon swing arm covers and carbon side fairings are really rare? is that true? 

I have the same bike.  as far as i know, the carbon front mudguard, rear hugger, nosecone wind deflectors, and side panel scoops are standard Mille R fitment.

the swingarm covers can be got from Russ Wray on facebook - they aren't standard.

Lee

This is correct, I have the 2001 'R' and just the same. Any frame or swing arm covers are aftermarket add-ons.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 11:26
And quite often fitted to cover up any damage by the pegs if the bikes been over Wink
Not suggesting for a minute that's the case with yours but I'm highly suspicious of any added stickers or frame covers given these bikes tendencies to fall off the standard Kickstand without warning 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 12:08
Good point Ian.

Jim, your bike looks like it has the original side stand.  Thumbs Down  Find yourself a US spec version asap as they are much more stable
groovylee View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groovylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 09:27
or have a look at the AP website, they stock the fireblade stand that is a direct fit. worked great on mine :)

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 14:26
Lovely Gen1 welcome to the forum. 
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 14:39
Nice looking bike,   and welcome  Thumbs Up
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 18:25
Nice bike Jim, just need to bin the rim tape Tongue
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 04:07
Thanks Guys for the warm welcome.

it seems like i have a lot think about, any one know where and what stand fits the best, and best place to buy? a blade stand? and its a standard swap.

yes the rim tape is awful, i did have a pick at it and its on propper.

i would also like some more info on the johnboys cables and what a sprag is and why it will be knackered?

anyway, thanks again fellas.

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:59
The Fireblade stand is an option but by far the best is the US spec OE Aprilia item. Its. stronger and puts the bike at a much more stable angle of lean (It's important to get the US mounting bracket as well though as it's this combined with the longer leg which gives the correct lean angle. They are not easy to find and don't usually come cheap unless you are lucky. If you buy them from the states then of course you end up paying import duty and vat on them as weel as the high postage costs. They do turn up on ebay UK from time to time though so keep an eye out.

Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 14:20
Welcome to the Ape house .. nice stead that .. never had a problem
with sprag clutch myself but you`ll know if it goes ..
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?155882-How-to-replace-your-sprag-clutch
Aw the best fae sunny Ayrshire..
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
longer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 00:35
Welcome, cracking looking bike that! 

Is it missing the rear indicators ? 
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 03:02
Thanks again for the replies guys.

So the sprag clutch is there a preventative strategy, the link that your posted Mr Miller is way over my head skill and time wise.

i reckon it will have to be a blade peg, as that is coming up quite pricey as it is, but that is just with a quick google search. 

Rear indicators are in the rear light housing which seem to be made from carbon also, i can post a pic or video of it if it's of interest.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 09:02
Now, the rear light housing if that is carbon - and OE carbon - is a rare thing indeed. Plenty of carbon shroud covers about and a few aftermarket light housings but OE is not often seen.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 09:03

i reckon it will have to be a blade peg, as that is coming up quite pricey as it is, but that is just with a quick google search. .

I would give it a little time and do some more searching. They US ones do come up on ebay and they are the best option.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:22
if you look for a US one you can find bargains. I had two from the states before. One I paid £45 and the other £30 but look up on eBay.com 'kick stand' and as mentioned you must have the stand and bracket. 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 15:29
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 15:32
also sorry to double post but where do i get the  johnboys cables from?
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 16:00
needs a lick of paint but that's the thing you are after. 

John Walker is on here. Stick it in the search menu for his cables or failing that he will find you shortly 😆
www.apworkshops.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 16:04
Sent you a PM for Johnboy 's email 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
JimmyV4 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimmyV4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 20:55
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the PM

So the Kickstand i ahve posted that has the required bracket,

Let me know if this looks good and il get it ordered.

Thanks again for your help.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 21:09
The kickstand is correct but be aware it is missing the tab bar thing on the side that helps you push it up and down but you can always cut the old one off the existing stand and weld it on before painting? 

www.apworkshops.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 21:48
Yep, that's the stand you need. Just be aware you will also be hit with 20% vat and 10% import duty (On the whole cost including delivery costs) when it arrives in the UK.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 22:21
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Yep, that's the stand you need. Just be aware you will also be hit with 20% vat and 10% import duty (On the whole cost including delivery costs) when it arrives in the UK.

Very true though I got lucky twice both times I got them though it was 2 and 5 years ago and paid no additional fees. Maybe it's checked at random. But definitely factor it in as worst case as legend88 points out 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Benjiboi93 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjiboi93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 16:57
welcome to life with a v-twin Embarrassed I purchased a 2002 rsv Mille with only 10k  with fsh in pretty much as immaculate as you will find 3 weeks ago and absolute love it! Previously I had a gsxr Y 750 which I loved but being a v twin this thing is a whole different animal! I spent lotd of time researching and browsing forums before finding the right bike. I chose to go for the rsv purely because it had been so well looked after has stacks of paperwork for updated extras, alarm, carbon parts ECT. Although I love the o.z wheels the reviews I read up regarding the ohlins suspension wasent great so I thought I'd go with the rsv and add the ohlins damper and possible o.z wheels but this is just my opinion. A quick list of mods to consider if not already done are. Evo open box mod with cone filter, aftermarket exhaust/modded collector, chip to suit (mins has the epron fr200 chip) updated battery (TTZ14s) 150 amp starter solenoid, 16t front sprocket, fireplace side stand, uprated battery cables, brown connector mod, updated jet in the clutch to help find neutral easier. Dogbone mount bearings 're greased or replaced. All of these have been done to mine and were mostly carried out by griff at AP you can find them all on the Aprila performance website. Also if you don't already have a trickle charger I would advise to get one as being a heavy v-twin it needs all the help it can get to turn over! Apologies for the essay and I hope this helps. Like I say I've only had mine for the past 3 weeks so if any of this is wrong please let me know LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic