rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > V4 Tuono > V4 Tuono.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuono v4 r

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraysisters1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuono v4 r
    Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 15:28
Anyone know of an engine rattle on the 2011 Tuono v4 r aprc. Reads as it could be nothing more than cam chain tensioner catching the side and that it’s nothing to worry about. Got the chance of one that needs little bits to get it back to good standard. Just that I’m concerned about. Thanks 
D Hatton
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 15:40
The 2 I know of had this blew up not long after, see Tuonozone club pages ????
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 16:08
Could be just a bad tensioner but I wouldn't leave it to chance in case it's not. Check the valve clearances and look for one that is abnormal compared to the others. If it is don't just try and shim it out.
Not sure if the Tuono's use Ti valves as per the rsv4 but if it does, they can lose the hardened steel tip at the top of the valve stem. That results in a larger gap between the cam and shim giving a noisy top end. 
Followed not many miles later by either a dropped valve or a fault code from a drop in compression (manifold pressure error from memory) as the extra valve clearance slams the seat to death.

Most v4's that have valve failure stem from this issue but most mechanics don't spot the tip is missing from the valve stem as a cause and just rebuild. A few valve springs have broken also.

The valve on the left is missing the tip

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 16:23
the more I hear about these v4 issues the more I know I'm not buying one

dare I say a big bang r1 is on the shopping list next year ..yes yes I know they have some issues, just not as many as a v4

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 16:30
The early ones do seem to have their fair share of issues,I know a couple of mates that were tempted and backed away with big sighs of relief

Didn't someone on here pick up one as track bike with a similar issue only to have it self destruct shortly afterwards?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 16:41
Mine had a lazy camchain tensioner. Seems its not uncommon.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 16:41
There will be trouble free v4's I'm sure but as a % if you buy jap your chances or major problems are less for sure. Aprilia cannot match the R&D or resources that the japs put into products.

Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 18:14
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Didn't someone on here pick up one as track bike with a similar issue only to have it self destruct shortly afterwards?
Think it was M9rko he of the severe o.c.d. .. then folded a Fireblade in half ..lucky white heather anyone ..
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 18:36
I think you're right Clap

I'd seek out his opinion and act on it if I was thinking of a second hand V4

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
barlow View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 07:34

If it rattles on start up and then disappears then I believe it is the camchain tensioner. It is hydraulic and `rattles` until the oil pressure builds up. Mine is worse when the engine is hot. It`s embarrassing when starting up in a petrol station hearing the loud clatter but soon disappears once the engine is revved a couple of times.

rsv mille r
tuono v4
Kraysisters1 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraysisters1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 15:31
Thanks guys. Seen a 2011 v4 r for £4500 got a few little issues I can sort, main one was the engine rattle that put me off. Will wait to see what they come back with to part ex my RSV factory against it and work out of it’s worth the risk  
D Hatton
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 15:48
That sounds very cheap for an '11 plate. Believe the camchain tensioners are relatively cheap but fiddly to replace. Be worth a call to AP first. Some gearbox issues with early ones & some camchain drive sprockets been found loose which can bugger the crank. Again easy fixes but cost could kill it if it's looking for parts. Keep us posted. Just to say they are an awesome bike with a cracking motor.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 16:05

The tensioner issue where they rattle at startup is inherent in the design up to the 16 models so I wouldn't throw money at new tensioners if it just rattles at startup. The tensioners simply drain of oil when the bikes stands for a few minutes especially with hot oil.

From the 16 models onwards there is a non return oil way that prevents the tensioner oil from draining away from the head. Aprilia had several half arsed attempts at fixing the issue until then including fitting o rings in the tensioners to stop them collapsing completely when the oil leaves. All with very limited success.

On the earlier bikes you just have to consider it "character"

Kraysisters1 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kraysisters1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 16:07
Might be worth a gamble then. Will have to have a trip and listen for myself 
D Hatton
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 20:05
my gixer does it bit goes away when warm.
it's the oil at bottom on engine I posted it on tdr they said all gixers seem to do it never had a v4 so I wouldn't know 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic