rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear brake pads destroyed !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear brake pads destroyed !!!
    Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 18:30

After my incident running into the Gixer 1000 I noticed my rear brake wasn’t working, now the RSV rear brake isn’t the greatest to start with but would at least hold in on an incline, but not anymore it was totally u/s, a quick visual inspection revealed the braided hose had parted company from the union at the caliper end so a new hose was duly ordered. While I was waiting for the hose to turn up I thought I’d use the down time to strip and rebuild the caliper and it’s just as well I did, I’ve never seen pads in this condition…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27v5bC4]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28SYQRM]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28SYRZZ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27v5aGM]

The pads they are just destroyed,the backing plate has been bent out of shape by the piston they and are supposed to be flat not concave!! 

and the seals have MELTED!! the first pic below shows one side of the caliper which is Ok the second shows the otherside where you can see where the rubber seal is melted..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2684kZ7]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28SYTDR]

Quite how hot it must have got I don’t know but it must have been f***ing hot to soften the pad backing plates enough for the pistons to bend them, as to the cause I really don’t know it’s obviously stuck on but why? The caliper seems in good condition and the pads had plenty of meat on them so it’s a bit of a mystery, new pads / seals / pistons are now ordered along with the hose so all I can do is put it back together and go from there, I’ll wait and see if it’s warped the disc is warped and may end up replacing that too.  

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 18:41
incorrect push rod free play or no air gap in the fluid res
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 18:45
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

incorrect push rod free play or no air gap in the fluid res

good call, I'll double check it all when it's rebuilt and bled up.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 22:01
Throw that caliper,it's scrap Shocked

Look at the lower pic,the pad has dug a channel in the locating shoulder,new pads will always index into that now and never float freely.

Common fault,these Brembo rear calipers are the worst sh*te I've ever had on a bike,every one I've taken apart has the same problem,also the pin is usually bored/located out of line as well.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 22:00
I've got a couple of decent rear calipers if you are after one 

Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Crouchie View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crouchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 15:09
Sorry to crash this thread.

But could I have second dibs on one of these calipers after Budd.

The shoulders of my existing caliper are worn quite badly.

Cheers

Phil
Crouchie
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 17:39
www.apworkshops.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 17:40
www.apworkshops.co.uk
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 17:41
best pics I can do 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 18:53
mine is all sorted now, rebuilt,bled so up and running again, Smile 
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 19:05
no problem. Crouchie you have PM 👍🏻
www.apworkshops.co.uk
Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 08:22
I had a bike that used to do that destroyed pads in days and could never work out why. Turned out although my foot was or as I thought of the lever, it wasn't. Was just a tiny bit of my boot holding the lever down. Not enough to engage the brake but enough to get the pads to touch the disc. 
ive just got my first vtwin and i think i got the right one
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 09:54
I think the problem may be caused by incorrect alignment of the 2 caliper halfs, when reassembling the halfs are sealed with O rings and held together with 8mm bolts, but there are no locating pins or similar to ensure the 2 sides are lined up properly and the free play around the retaining bolts will allow movement so the 2 sides can end up slight askew, this means the pad retaining pin doesn't go through square and causes the pad to bind and ultimately notches the caliper casting. So on reassembly it would make sense to completely assemble the caliper, with the pads, pad retaining pin, spring everything and then loosen the main caliper bolts the 2 halfs should then align themselves, and once everything is inline pads moving freely with no binding  they can be nipped up to the correct torque. As it was me who rebuilt them in the first place ultimately it's my fault, but it's a lesson learnt.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic