rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner of rsv mille 2000/2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner of rsv mille 2000/2001
    Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 23:56
I won't annoy you with all the daft questions before I have a good read about I'm on the other forum as well and been busy learning but guided here by one of the members

I bought this bike two weeks ago as a track bike from a bloke who had it for a couple of weeks fitted loads of nice carbon bits then realized it was too fast for him. I got kind of fond of it and selling my speed triple and don't want to track it its so nice

Although it had all those bits fitted I got all the old bits as well except for the indicators it has 4 new ones fitted so I thought race bike perhaps

It keeps flashing the efi light on start up until it displays temp reading then it goes off but tonight on way home I blasted it and the Efi light came on and stayed on flashing until I got home  I turned her off and on and it went through Efi flashing for about 30 sec then displayed temp

I pulled the ecu and the wire is cut on the small plug and it has a  fr100 chip fitted perhaps this is my problem

I noticed what I presume is tipex on the front rotor bolts it wipes off easy so I though new rotors and marked them as torque but when had fairings off same white marks on some of the engine bolts so school of thought at some point it might have had big bore conversion  It goes well fast I have been on 4 Ron haslem courses on a blade last one may this year and its fairly close to power of the blade the blade is insane at high revs but I think I could give one a good run handling is not as good though yet

It's leaking out the filler cap as well 

Oh and the fans are linked at the relays with a switch another race mod I suspect and it has a scorpion system fitted but still has the air box I will take tank off tomorrow and see whats under and in there

I have stripped all the swing arm links as recommended and checked electrical connections all well at min going to spray all with acf-50 to prevent corrosion 

Any sections I should read up on please point me I'm a mechanic so half way there

Best wishes david

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 08:16
welcome along David.  I ride the supposedly inferior Gen2 machine so not my place to comment but im sure one of other members will be along with some advice. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 09:25
Could be a number of sensor connections but likely it's the diode pack that is acting up. Replace it or measure it and see if it's ok. (it's in the tail)
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 09:35
I was curious yesterday and pressed the right hand button to display volts along with the temp two important gauges but it didn't stay displayed I read about joining two wires together to read codes so will do that today  

Why is the gen 2 bike regarded as inferior mines is a Jan 2001 but has 2000 fairings so gen 1 I guess metal tank somebody said I was lucky I didn't have plastic

Still reading though folk 
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 14:22
If its been modified for race then id also check the air temp sensor is okay, usually in the LHS air intake but could be anywhere on a race bike and probably mounted somewhere stupid like on the radiator. Cut wire on ECU is fine and FR100 chip is okay to, ive got the FR200 in mine.

2 wires are behind the side trims on the RHS of seat.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 19:17
Originally posted by David451 David451 wrote:

I was curious yesterday and pressed the right hand button to display volts along with the temp two important gauges but it didn't stay displayed I read about joining two wires together to read codes so will do that today  

Why is the gen 2 bike regarded as inferior mines is a Jan 2001 but has 2000 fairings so gen 1 I guess metal tank somebody said I was lucky I didn't have plastic

Still reading though folk 

Yep Gen1. It isn't its a great machine and i absolutely love it but these bloody gen1 owners like to hink old is better hahaha.  Right im off to hide and duck for coverLOL
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 19:31
Hi David, you'll find this forum a lot busier than the AF1 site and lots of quickly available info.
Pay your fiver to become a premium member and you can download the official workshop manual.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 19:32
I'm 60 and I'm fine it's the mileage not the years

Got diag 1 code off to read up on it

Changed my tyres today and a brake service used to do more but at 60 you need more cupas

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 19:34
got a Haynes manual and a download but don't mind paying 5 quid if it helps the forum  how do i do that
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 19:41
diag 1 seems to be normal on these idle a tad high perhaps

Doesn't help the Efi flashing could it be the scorpion exhaust system and me having the baffle bit out 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 19:55

I'm 60 and I'm fine it's the mileage not the years

Got diag 1 code off to read up on it

Changed my tyres today and a brake service used to do more but at 60 you need more cupas

At 65 you need more rest stops after those cuppas LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 20:11
glad there are some more mature folk on here I was thinking I'm getting too old to be chucking a bike around  my son said, what is it with you most folk your age are down the bowling club or playing dominoes not charging around a race track 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 20:52

glad there are some more mature folk on here I was thinking I'm getting too old to be chucking a bike around  my son said, what is it with you most folk your age are down the bowling club or playing dominoes not charging around a race track 

Hahaha quality dont listen my old mans 62 and still rides, although he gas an old 350 bullit wont even entertain the idea of a go on the ape however much i badger him to.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 21:12
My mates 74 and still riding his k7 gixxer thousand, sounds great with the carbon akrapovic on it.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 21:34
Yup,I hope to be using my bikes as long as I can,trackdays take on a more sedate look these days though.

I found I don't bounce as well as I used to Ouch

Plus when those young hero's go past on the inside of a corner I no longer get annoyed,mind you on the odd occasion I manage to do it to them I enjoy going for a chat in the paddock afterwards LOL

That doesn't happen very often these days though

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 22:25
I crashed at donnington last year on McLeans at a stupid speed a wee mistake cost me a helmet and concussion for a while walking back to my car I wondered if it was worth it driving back to the hotel I was planning my next visit  I don't want to be sitting in the house wishing I had I'd rather be wishing I hadn't. I could live with that better than being too old to do it

My father in law gave me good advice once and I never listened, he said don't get old David.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 22:35
well went out after dinner and checked every single connector on the bike left the plastics off and will run the charging checks tomorrow if all ok after that I'm fooked I think

Am I correct in stating that the Efi light shouldn't come on on start up and off as it warms and cold changes to the temp reading and def not at light speed not that I would speed of course 

Been through all the Haynes and the downloaded manual and can't find anything phew  at least it still runs ok 
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 22:52
did you find your air temp indicator in the fairing as has been said before ?

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 22:53
it's location...

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 23:04

I crashed at donnington last year on McLeans at a stupid speed a wee mistake cost me a helmet and concussion for a while walking back to my car I wondered if it was worth it driving back to the hotel I was planning my next visit  I don't want to be sitting in the house wishing I had I'd rather be wishing I hadn't. I could live with that better than being too old to do it

My father in law gave me good advice once and I never listened, he said don't get old David.

Ha,I found Mcleans was no trouble but trying Coppice with just some engine braking was a bad move on my part Ouch

Ambition outweighing talent again Embarrassed
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 00:48
will look for air temp sensor in morning forgot about that all caught up in tyres and brakes today
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:01
found air temp sensor at last plug ok searching for a test at min, sounds like a good shout the faster I went the worse it was 
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:35

found air temp sensor at last plug ok searching for a test at min, sounds like a good shout the faster I went the worse it was 

Should be something like this or as close as, its a thermistor I think,

Check the sensor resistance, using the tester in the Ohms scale. 

At 20 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 2450 Ohms 

At 40 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 1114 Ohms 

At 60 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 584 Ohms 

At 90 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 245 Ohms

Gen 1 Edwards Carbon Airbox 57mm Throttle Bodies and Redrat Collector Club Racer
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:41
can't find a test for air flow temp might be a case of replace and see

Did charging test all fine there Brown plug a bit hot but no damage and nice and clean so might leave it regulator warm as well but that's what they do.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:43
just saw the reply off with meter to Ryan resistance test 

Cheers
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:30
tested air flow sensor assuming it gets cold with all that air rushing through the vent I started at 5c in fridge and it was 3.23k  23c 2.15k and at 40c 1.027 so it's doing something whether it's right I don't know 
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:33

tested air flow sensor assuming it gets cold with all that air rushing through the vent I started at 5c in fridge and it was 3.23k  23c 2.15k and at 40c 1.027 so it's doing something whether it's right I don't know 

Yep looks good id say, where is it mounted? is it still in air scoop?
Gen 1 Edwards Carbon Airbox 57mm Throttle Bodies and Redrat Collector Club Racer
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:52
If its mounted somewhere sensible giving good airflow then its not that, just a quick one to check and may sound daft but as it was happening under acceleration are the battery terminals good and tight?

Sounds like something may be loose and rattling under load.
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:54
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Could be a number of sensor connections but likely it's the diode pack that is acting up. Replace it or measure it and see if it's ok. (it's in the tail)

If all that checks out then id be looking as above and what spoonz said.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:01
sensor in normal place battery terminals ok off to check diodes now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic