FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner of rsv mille 2000/2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner of rsv mille 2000/2001
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 13:01
I did plan on making up a batch of hex headed plugs but I retired before getting round to it

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:53
thats exactly what I'm doing a wee clean here a lub there and one or two cable ties  It's nice to know what's in there whats been messed with and so on

Broke two hex bits so far I don't have an impact one it would help. Tried shocking it soaking it overnight and now thermal shocking it running it hot then cooling quick but not moved yet  . Don't want to round it oncevthats done its a drill out case or pipe off or both but don't want to go that route

So more heat will give her a run,  cool down then attack the bastid again then soak overnight again  

It's a bad design as mentioned and copaslip is not good enough. I have used very high temp grease for turbos and its the stuff for the job just need to order some  last time I used it I got it from a Scania trucks stores when I worked on them its black like Molly grease but it withstands thousands of degs   will replace them with stainless if pos if not will weld a nut onto the coont 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:36
That is the trouble,I found that one thing led to another and I sheered more than a couple of Aprilia's swiss cheese fasteners.

I needed to replace my rad though so it was more of a stripdown than otherwise needed and I went deeper than I first planned

It was a good opportunity to replace rusty bolts with lubed stainless fasteners though
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 10:28
it's one of those jobs that can escalate I doubt I will take pipe off 16 years old and just waiting to break a stud. Had to change oil cooler pipes on an old blackbird I bought and two of the bolts broke  what a fokin job that was if I can't get it out its a job for griff but I'm a fairly determined man still to try cursing at it that usually works with a tad of anger and threats 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 00:48
Slit the nuts with a dremmel first,then use new nuts,preferably brass

Far better way of doing things

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Zax View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 22:22
don’t worry , griff is a wizard at getting /drilling these out .

The only thing worse is if you snap the exhaust studs whilst trying to take the manifold off. 

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 22:04
Yes,not enough room for the stilsons in situ unfortunately.

These plugs are a bad design,would have been better with an external hex,even Copaslip on the threads doesn't help much

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 22:02
might be the case I was looking under it after dinner and thinking if I could get stilsons on it but no room   I will attack it tomorrow again phew plastics on and off for the two weeks I have owned it but at least I am getting acquainted and I'm fussy so loads of wee bits getting a tidy as I go  it's a hobby so can't complain love working on bikes
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 21:53
The best way if they're really stuck is to remove the pipe and hold it in a padded vise,the plug is best removed by stilson wrench.

If you can't get an Ape one then Ducati Pt No 78020011A is a better alternative and was cheaper when I last got one,it even comes with a copper washer Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 19:13
the guys are coming up here in August so booked myself in for a tune and air box conversion might change the chip he says if mine isn't a big valve model mine was registered Jan 2001 metal tank and the earlier fairings and side panels with no mesh

Said to make sure o2 plugs come out rear one yes front no but working on it might have to bludgeon it to death soaking overnight in wd40 
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 14:52
great bunch at AP I use them for my parts to, as spoons says if not on website phone em, free tech advice when you do to πŸ‘ Hope it sorts your issues and your good to go. Best bike I've owned to and although they are aging and have age issues once sorted still a great machine for the money, enjoy πŸ˜‰
Gen 1 Edwards Carbon Airbox 57mm Throttle Bodies and Redrat Collector Club Racer
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 14:48
The menu options for the premium membership got wiped by the last forum software update. I haven't got round to reinstating them as yet.

You can get there via this link temporarily.  http://rsvr.net/premium.html
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 14:33
watched some of their videos seem like a decent bunch

Thanks again folk

Still not figured out how to become premier member yet tho
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 13:47
Aprilia performance (advert top of the forum).

The diode pack may be on their website shop but if not give them a buzz.
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 13:42
where do you guys get your parts from I want to fit good quality parts
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:57
after initial mistake terminal 1 plus 5 is closed circuit all others 1 plus 2 3 4 are all open looks like diode pack toasted

Having been all over the bike now I'm surprised how good the quality is and although I spent loads of hours chasing a blade around donnington I left at the end of the day without a backwards glance at the blade it was good at the job but lacked personality my speed triple is fun and has a bit of personality but I can't tolerate the wind any more gona need a collar if I continued so I'm happy again wish I had bought one before now to be honest

Here's hoping my tests are correct and a big thumbs up to the folk on here trying to pay my 5 quid to be a special member but can't do it not very tech minded so if somebody points me I will
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:37
Originally posted by David451 David451 wrote:

got diode pack out and tested it its a bit difficult to determine whats 1 though from the photos it has a wee white section that extends out beside the pins rather than put 12v over it and blow a diode I tried my ohm meter but can't get continuity over any combination of the pins

Pins are left to right, 1-5. if you have a diode function test on multimeter its easier but would have thought simple continuity would let you pass from pins 2-5 to pin 1, however if you have a 12V Lamp at 2watt place the positive from the battery onto the lamp then the other lead from lamp to pin 1, then put negative from battery to pins 2 through 5 and the light should come on for each and I think pins 2 and 5 should also light.
Gen 1 Edwards Carbon Airbox 57mm Throttle Bodies and Redrat Collector Club Racer
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:34
I'm lying forgot its voltage conscious trying again 
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:30
got diode pack out and tested it its a bit difficult to determine whats 1 though from the photos it has a wee white section that extends out beside the pins rather than put 12v over it and blow a diode I tried my ohm meter but can't get continuity over any combination of the pins
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:01
sensor in normal place battery terminals ok off to check diodes now
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:54
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Could be a number of sensor connections but likely it's the diode pack that is acting up. Replace it or measure it and see if it's ok. (it's in the tail)

If all that checks out then id be looking as above and what spoonz said.
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:52
If its mounted somewhere sensible giving good airflow then its not that, just a quick one to check and may sound daft but as it was happening under acceleration are the battery terminals good and tight?

Sounds like something may be loose and rattling under load.
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:33

tested air flow sensor assuming it gets cold with all that air rushing through the vent I started at 5c in fridge and it was 3.23k  23c 2.15k and at 40c 1.027 so it's doing something whether it's right I don't know 

Yep looks good id say, where is it mounted? is it still in air scoop?
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 11:30
tested air flow sensor assuming it gets cold with all that air rushing through the vent I started at 5c in fridge and it was 3.23k  23c 2.15k and at 40c 1.027 so it's doing something whether it's right I don't know 
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:43
just saw the reply off with meter to Ryan resistance test 

Cheers
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:41
can't find a test for air flow temp might be a case of replace and see

Did charging test all fine there Brown plug a bit hot but no damage and nice and clean so might leave it regulator warm as well but that's what they do.
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:35

found air temp sensor at last plug ok searching for a test at min, sounds like a good shout the faster I went the worse it was 

Should be something like this or as close as, its a thermistor I think,

Check the sensor resistance, using the tester in the Ohms scale. 

At 20 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 2450 Ohms 

At 40 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 1114 Ohms 

At 60 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 584 Ohms 

At 90 degrees centigrade the resistance must be about 245 Ohms

David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:01
found air temp sensor at last plug ok searching for a test at min, sounds like a good shout the faster I went the worse it was 
David451 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 00:48
will look for air temp sensor in morning forgot about that all caught up in tyres and brakes today
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 23:04

I crashed at donnington last year on McLeans at a stupid speed a wee mistake cost me a helmet and concussion for a while walking back to my car I wondered if it was worth it driving back to the hotel I was planning my next visit  I don't want to be sitting in the house wishing I had I'd rather be wishing I hadn't. I could live with that better than being too old to do it

My father in law gave me good advice once and I never listened, he said don't get old David.

Ha,I found Mcleans was no trouble but trying Coppice with just some engine braking was a bad move on my part Ouch

Ambition outweighing talent again Embarrassed
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic