Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Wrap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Wrap
    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 12:56
Does exhaust Wrap have a significant impact on the amount of heat radiated from the headers?

The reason I am asking is I am looking to reduce the amount of heat going into the radiator from the engine. Ive just returned from a week in Europe on my Tuono 1100 where the temp reached 32 degrees most days. When the bike was moving this wasnt an issue but stuck in traffic it was a nightmare. The fans struggled to cope as the ambient temp coupled with the heat from the headers was just too much. I am looking at options including larger fans but the wrap idea comes at it from a different angle, if it does have an effect on the radiated heat.

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 13:22
I have ceramic coated and wrapped my exhaust, you can run the bike till the fans come on and hold the headers with bare hands, it's like holding a hot cup of tea where without your skin would be gone.
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 13:56
That is impressive. 

Tell me about the ceramic coating?

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 14:33
On a Tuono I think exhaust heat would be less of an issue than maybe the rsv4 as there is less fairing to trap the heat. Most of the heat seems to radiate up from the tarmac when the weather is properly hot. I know they used to do hot climate parts for the rsv (themal switch etc) so maybe they do some for the v4's.

But I think it's the nature of the beast to an extent, sports bikes don't like traffic and get hot. All of mine have to varying degrees. We've had knocking on 40 degrees near Milau a couple of years ago and late 30's is not uncommon in southern Europe. We try and avoid major towns and roads like the plague generally, partly for that reason.

If you have the cat and oem map still on there it won't help as it's probably pretty lean at idle.
Zax View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 16:15
magma wrap , it’s a pain to do but certainly helps with keeping the heat inside the exhaust and not heating up everything else 

Do a search here for it . As I write something down about fitting it to the Gen 2 Lamp
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 16:38
It's the magma wrap that I use from thermal velocity but I don't use the stainless cable ties as I don't think they pull tight enough so I use lock wire instead, I fasten one end of the wrap in a vice and then wind the pipes into the wrap keeping tension on the wrap and you can get it really nice and tight. Ceramic coating I use camcoat who are in warrington I think and the race spec which is inside and outside coating.
http://www.textiletechnologies.co.uk/automotive/exhaust-wraps/exhaust-insulation-wraps/magmawrap-basalt-twill-700-c.html
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 17:29
Originally posted by Sabre Sabre wrote:

That is impressive. 

Tell me about the ceramic coating?

Had my Gen 1 Tuono ceramic coated and also wrapped the rear header to help out the rear shock.
Full system external ceramic coating from Camcoat was about £230.
Internal coating will help with better heat dissipation but obviously costs more.
As with Hemi, I use Magma wrap from DEI and I use locking wire too. I also give the wrap a quick soak in water as it helps with wrapping and you get a tighter wrap after its dried out.

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
mwlehman View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwlehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 14:23
I wrapped both my 04 RSV and wife`s 04 tuono..did not do her 08 tuono yet, though it does not seem as bad as the other two for radiant heat
once you have ruined your reputation , you can live quite freely
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic